1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Brandon Jennings European Experiment

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SamFisher, Jun 27, 2009.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He completely neglected his studies, so he couldn't get into the NCAA.

The other high school kids will work harder in their classes or choose to go to a smaller european club.

Brandon Jennings didn't get enough minutes on a big club. I thought he would have been better off at a smaller club.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sam,

Shame on you for not realizing Brandon Jennings, Marc Gasol, and Rudy Fernandez are really just into forex arbitrage.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

the real story here is brandon jennings' alleged use of the term 'cautionary.'

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL - the dropping of the euro had nothing to do with the fact that clubs could not pay the salaries. Tickets and TV rights are sold in euros. When you can't sell them - you don't have money, no matter the denomination.

Ask the "trend" boys.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Simmons was right. He would have made more money at Memphis. And do you actually think failing the SAT / college classes would have been an issue there? HA. What a farce. Thank Calipari and the NCAA for illegitimizing their sport.

6. SamFisher

True that adjectival form would have guaranteed him a 500 verbal - it's doubtful. :eek:

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That the SAT scores of the top pg prospect in the country barred his entry into the NCAA isn't accepted in mainstream opinion is it? :confused:

8. SamFisher

No, you are correct, I believe he was an ACT man.

9. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

I still think he will end up as the 2nd best PG behind Rubio from this draft

10. adoo

adoo Member

i am not sure that the Italian league competition is lower than the NCAA.

playing in a professional league in a foreign country is an EDUCATTION, a very practical one. that fact that he manage to tough it out---as oppose to quiiting like Sarah Palin---says alot about his character.

Jenning received an education insofar as playing in a system, not tailoring to his strength. plus he was playing against adults who are stronger and meaner than the 18-19 years in the NCAA. now, that's an education.

11. yobod

yobod Member

I wonder if the NCAA secretly paid his club not to play him in order to hurt his draft stock and show other high school kids that the NCAA is the way to go. You never know with these type of things, you try to beat the system and it will come back to haunt you.

The system is so corrupt, I wouldn't doubt it.

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

He's from Compton, Ca.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Education? What kind of education will you get in 1 year of college? We're not even talking about serious college here, one-and-doners usually get the trashiest and easiest courses available (physical fitness theorems?). College (or even high school for that matter) is useless if you're not going to get a white collar job. I mean, do you really need to know where Ukraine is located, how many elements the periodic table contain or whether George Washington had wooden teeth or not? Its all useless in everyday life, and I doubt a year in college in a lame ass course will help an athlete land a decent job should his knee pop out or something.

I disagree with the bolded parts of your argument. I know the NCAA is one of the highest level college leagues around, but you have got to be kidding if you think those college guys can compete with professional leagues in Europe. If that were the case the college kids sent to the Olympics would have dominated instead of getting stomped on. Not only that, I think as far as being an athlete is concerned, European leagues are a much better training ground then college. Not only is the competition better, you get a taste of what being a pro is all about and get to play in a system instead of going ISO all day. The payment is almost secondary compared to experience you're getting.

Obviously the Europe way is not for everyone. You need to be more mature than the average college kid to handle the pressure. But in my opinion if you can handle it its the better way to go as far as development is concerned.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I cant agree more. Whats dumb about the entire argument is saying that it hurts kids to go overseas. Thats trash! It hurts universities when kids like beasley,mayo, and durants arent even coachable. Coaches dont coach those kids, all they do is manage. You cant coach a kid that has played on different aau squads, high schools and everyone knows he's 1 and done. Most of those kids dont even go to class especially in basketball. The kid never goes to class and the 2nd semester he's on sco pro. So what? The kid will be entering the draft anyway. Not to mention, the kid just gets to hoop and train for his profession. There isnt really anything that help a basketball player more than playing basketball. Like the other kids father said, when they close harvard, let me know.

15. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

I still stand by this assessment

16. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

Jennings was a steal.
    You will see.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I think he is the best pg in the draft class. Going to Milwaukee is probably a blessing for him. He won't find trouble there (unless he's looking for it) as easily as in big markets. That being said, his basketball skills were never really a question as far as I'm concerned.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a pass first PG,with good court vision.He needs more experience,maturity and a better jumpshot/defense,but he has genuine upside. If he does the right things,the Bucks will be happy. It will take time.

19. ringin08

ringin08 Member

Excellent post...sorry but no rep privileges here.

I think the NBA and NFL are wrong for limiting young adults from playing in their leagues when other professional sports don't have such limitations. Anyone that doesn't think it is about the money made by those colleges is just using their blind eye. The other eye should also tell you that it has something to do with most NFL and NBA players being black...errrrrrrrrrrrr.

20. illteacher

illteacher Member

I agree with the value of getting an education but the level of competition in Europe is clearly higher than NCAA's