1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The BOXING thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Angkor Wat, Jun 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. VanityHalfBlack

Fans wanting to see brawls and heavy punches is a misconception. If that were true, the Heavyweight division would draw more money than any weight classes.

2. VanityHalfBlack

The majority of boxing fans want to see Floyd get Knocked the fukk out, plain and simple. I don't see the problem with that. I hope he retires with his whack ass.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

That's what I'm sayin' man. Should be a DQ if he did something illegal. Of course USADA, as you said, comes out and said he did nothing wrong. Floyd has all aspects of a fight event under his control and in his wallet. Maybe I don't watch enough, but it seems like we never see Floyd's fight night weight.

It's funny how this news is kind of dead already. It's BS man.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

5. EssTooKayTD

I didn't get to watch the matches this weekend, but Matthysse (too lazy to look up spelling) and Broner fights I know went down. Apparently Matthysse got knocked down, but stayed down and didn't want to continue. He doesn't strike me as a quitter.

Didn't catch anything about the Broner fight except that he won and is calling out another name I don't know from the TMT camp.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

According to Mattyses camp he went blind and couldnt see out of the eye. Dude must have freaked out and just stayed down.

Like fair enough I guess. This is a 'sport' after all.

7. EssTooKayTD

I'm excited about the GGG/Lemieux fight.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

As you should be, having a party for the fight I'm so pumped. Be a war as long as it lasts but I think GGG is too technically skilled for DL.

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, having a party for that one too. Agree with your take on it, just wanted to add that I am also excited for the undercard.

Chocolatito!!!!!!!!!!

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'm really excited for the undercard as well. Chocolatito to me stole the show a bit on the previous HBO card, dude is a machine. Viloria lost that SD I think to Estrada and Roman had some issues, but again I think It's a pretty comfortable win for Gonzalez.

11. what

what Member

terrible boxing card overall. not worth the money and im still not a fan of GGG, which is why i should not have bought the fight, but i got sucked into the hype.

12. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

This confirms how great this card was.

13. gambingo

gambingo Member

what? I watched some of it on some crappy stream:grin:, but i thought it was good overall.

14. what

what Member

I can't even remember the last time I saw a fight that was great on a ppv or otherwise. Well, that's a lie, the one I remember was:

Rogers Mtagwa v. Juanma

I'm so sick of buying fight cards like this. The only fighter that I even really care about right now is Guillermo Rigondeaux, because I love the way he boxes.

I'm just now going to buy these fights anymore, because they are all hype.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Well don't buy it then.

Don't worry, you won't ever have to worry about Rigondeaux headlining a PPV bout.

16. what

what Member

I guess I'm just not a big GGG fan. Yes, the guy knocks people out, but it isn't like the electricity of a tyson knockout. GGG does not have the unpredictability factor that will make him a huge draw in the sport.

I don't care how much he gets hyped, he is a boring fighter. And I'm not all that stoked about the possibility of him vs Canelo either.

Chocolatito was far more entertaining.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

How can you honestly say that GGG is a boring fighter and be a Rigondeaux fan? The dude who bored himself off HBO after beating Donaire?

Yes he knocks people out, but thats cause he's heavy handed and got flawless punching mechanics. The dude has had like 400 amateur fights. He's a boxer first and foremost, not some Tasmania Devil like Mike Tyson in his prime.

The only times he gets wild is when he doesn't respect his oppositions punching power and just eats shots.

I would've thought someone who appreciates the technical nous of Rigondeaux would've appreciated the way Golovkin controlled distance tonight, completely disarmed Lemieux and stuck that jab in all night to set up offensive work to the body and head.

This was a massive gulf in technical skill tonight, and it was evident with how impotent Lemieux looked all night. It's fine that you're not a fan, I just don't really get how you can love Rigondeaux and not appreciate the technical aspects of GGGs fighting style. Agree that Chocolatito was very impressive.

18. what

what Member

When people get excited about GGG, they point to his knockout rate. But GGG is not your typical knockout boxer and he certainly isn'tan entertaining fighter.

Rigondeaux is a slick boxer puncher and his tynical abilities far exceed anything GGG can do. GGG is like what floyd maywether would be if mayweather was a knockout artist.

To me there is really not a lot to get excited about in boxing right now.

Every fight is like 2 rounds of real action and 10 rounds of pitter-patter fighting.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

When CASUAL fans talk about GGG they discuss knockout rate.

And Floyd was a very exciting fighter in the lower weight classes and before his hands began to fall apart. It was a thing of beauty what GGG did to dismantle Lemieux, still can't rationalize how you dislike his fighting style yet your love Rigo LOL

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

G3 with the beat down -- who will he get next?