1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The BOXING thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Angkor Wat, Jun 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

He's dodged any fighter with true hand speed. Amir Khan and Pac.

Pac didn't take floyd's bs. at the end of the day Floyd don't want to negotiate he wants to dictate.

btw, I am referring to floyd since he's come back. Not the younger floyd who fought Del a hoya. Obviously floyd has fought great fighters in the past.

He's never going to get in the ring with GGG, we all know this. He also could have fought Sergio and declined that fight as well.

Floyd's MO right know is to fight light slow guys.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If Im Pacquiao, I'm chomping at the bits to get a Mayweather fight now more than ever. People always talk about how Manny has slowed down, but after Saturday night, I saw Floyd has defintely slowed down. He is more vulnerable now than hes been in the past. This is now more of an even fight than it was when they were in their prime.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Knew you couldn't mention anyone besides Pac. And Khan is garbage, maybe we'll see this fight next year.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

To be fair, Pacquiao was the only one that could afford not to adhere to Floyd's demands. All those other guys, weren't the second biggest name in boxing. They had no leverage. They would have bent over backwards to get a Mayweather pay day.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yup, but what said good fighters don't put up with Floyd's BS. Guess Pac and Floyd were the only elite fighters of the last 10 years?

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Cotto got to wear his MX punchers gloves right?

7. Mattj

Mattj Member

Amir Khan has earned a fight with Floyd how? By beating Malignaggi and Judah? Khan may not even be the best British fighter in that weight class if Kell Brook is considered. Floyd has wins over 7 current or future boxing hall of famers. This talk of dodging competition is just nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  8. IKant

IKant Member

He doesn't dodge people. Rather, he fights guys who are names and/or are hot fighters. (ie, Ortiz off a FOTY candidate with Berto, Cotto, Guerrero off a FOTY candidate with Berto, Canelo, Maidana off an upset against Broner). Outside of Cotto, none of these fighters are good enough for a fighter considered the P4P best. Canelo hadn't really done enough. As far as Pac goes, Mayweather will never fight him as long as he is with Arum

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Honestly, I don't think Khan is any less deserving that guys like Ortiz, Guerrero or Maidana x2. What did those guys do to deserve a Mayweather fight? Beat Andre Berto? Is that the measuring stick? Hell, Khan already beat Maidana. I don't think Mayweather is ducking Khan, as I wouldn't be surprised if Khan was next.

But to say Khan hasn't "earned" a Mayweather fight is silly considering who hes fought recently.

10. dragician

dragician Member

no one earned a fight against Floyd, otherwise, Floyd will not fight.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Mayweather's not dodging Khan. Khan is an easy fight for him and has a ready made huge UK following. Kell Brooks isn't as popular yet. It's more about waiting on Khan to build back his rep/rankings for the US market.

It's all about the PPV numbers.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Canelo v Clottey set for Houston.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yes! Boxing is back in Houston. I hope the undercard is good. Dumbass Kirkland pulled out of another fight

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Kirkland is such an enigma, his own worst enemy.

Still can't believe he got put on his ass 3 times by featherfisted Ishida..

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'm way late to the convo, but on the May/El Chino fight as soon as May said something about the ref doing his job in pre-fight interviews, I said, "great, now the ref is going to break them up super fast."

Sure enough, that's what happened. It was ridiculous. The one round, Bayless didn't break them up prematurely, Maidana actually got to work a little. Not saying he could have won, because I think May would have done the same as the first fight and just outbox Maidana. But the fact Bayless wouldn't even let them fight in close for more than half a second, it ended up being a horrible fight.

After such a great 2013, 2014 has just been full of blah with very few exceptions (ie. Crawford)...and this was nice:

[youtube]3yWKuSX0EoY[/youtube]

16. dragician

dragician Member

Poetic justice...

so nice to see him getting a piece of his own medicine after taunting...

17. Beavis Stiffler

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Are the odds on Rubio v GGG a little crazy? Around $20 for a guy who has 51 knockouts and can take a punch.

19. dragician

dragician Member

I'd rather put my money on a punching bag than Rubio.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Punching bag might make it past the 6th round.