1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bikini Effect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Jun 10, 2008.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

"...[men] exhibited improved cognition and creativity after exposure to sexy stimuli. "

well, duh!

[rquoter]The Bikini Effect Makes Men Impulsive

Robin Nixon
    Special to LiveScience
    LiveScience.comTue Jun 10, 12:40 PM ET

Bikinis and other sexy stimuli can make men more prone to seek immediate gratification - leading to blown diets, budgets and bank accounts, new research suggests.

In the study, detailed in the Journal of Consumer Research, men alternately fondled t-shirts and bras. After touching the bras, men valued the future less and the present more, said lead researcher Bram Van Den Bergh of Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium. Viewing ads with women in bikinis had the same effect.

It wasn't that the men were simply distracted by their sexual arousal, which caused them to choose more impulsively. On the contrary, they exhibited improved cognition and creativity after exposure to sexy stimuli.

The researchers conclude that there is one common appetite system in the brain monitoring our desire for a host of pleasures from sweets to pretty faces, alcohol to lotto winnings. When it is stimulated by, say, a sexy picture or the smell of baked goods, we experience a general craving for anything pleasant. "Basically, you just want to be rewarded," explained Barbara Briers, a researcher at HEC Paris School of Management. Briers, who has conducted related research, was not involved with this study.

Immediate gratification

Van Den Bergh and colleagues rendered the bikini-effect powerless by satiating the stirred appetite with a different type of reward - financial security.

A sense of personal wealth depends largely on what we perceive to be the society standard. The researchers manipulated this perception to make male subjects feel relatively rich or relatively poor. When a questionnaire suggested the average income in society was very small - smaller than most of the subjects' incomes - the men felt rich in comparison. Conversely, when the average income was implied to be very large - dwarfing that of the male subjects - most of the men began looking at their own earnings as piddling.

When the men felt well-off, the bikinis lost their influence. But if they considered themselves among the have-nots, they were likely to seek immediate gratification after seeing women running in bikinis. (Among other sexy stimuli, the study used a commercial for Lynx body spray, which features thousands of women running in bikinis.)

The study was funded by a research division of Aegis Group, a marketing company.

Evolution at work

Evolutionarily speaking, Briers hypothesized, unfulfilled sexual arousal could trigger a subconscious belief that one's reproductive status is at stake. Rendered fearful, men reach out for other "resources" - a quick payoff, fast food - to better their chances for survival. In modern, more splurge-friendly times, this may be a maladaptive tendency.

The bikini effect does vary in strength from person to person, Van Den Bergh said. While most men are vulnerable to subtle types of stimuli - like sexy ads and touching lingerie - others may need to see a woman nude before feeling impulsive. No matter, Van Den Bergh warned, "being exposed to a sexy girl may influence what stock you invest in or what candy bar you buy."

While her own research also indicates a common reward pathway, Briers cautioned that some studies suggest more specific reward responses (for example, new mothers respond differently to a baby's smell than childless women). Taken together, all this research, she said "is the beginning of something fascinating." [/rquoter]

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ive actually put down a burger when I saw some chick in a bikini... thinking, I better stay in shape so I can gig that.

3. professorjay

professorjay Member

Useless w/out pics.

4. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Member

Gig that? As in gaggity her gashmogan?

Guessing that is a Quagmire of Family Guy reference. But perhaps I am way off...

5. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Basso displaying his article posting skills in the Hangout. Is he expanding to other sub-forums?!? :eek:

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

So those used underwear vending machines in Japan are really just creativity stimulants?

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've always found my mind stimulated by the sight of the semi-nude female form. The sight of a beautiful nude woman makes me even more insightful, witty, and full of ideas. Thank you, basso, for the affirmation of what I already knew to be true. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

ana beatriz barros is so hot.

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I hear the same thing happens to women when they see me in my underwear.