1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The biggest, unanswered, nagging question I have about this season:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Dec 17, 2015.

?

Do you think Harden wants Dwight gone?

1. Yes

56.5%
  2. No

43.5%
  1. basketballholic

If I were Howard I wouldn't set better screens either. Harden goes too quick, before Howard has the screen set, and Howard either:

1. Gets in foul trouble for setting a moving screen

or

2. winds up just trailing Harden to the rim in bad rebounding position.

They're not geehawing on the pick-and-roll and it's just as much Harden as it is Howard. Harden doesn't do that with Capela. He waits a count for Capela and lets Capela drag with him to the hoop.

I'm sorry. You can't put the failure of the pick-and-roll squarely on Howard jumping his pick. Like I say, if I were Howard playing with James I'd jump the pick too. Because James is jumping it.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight doesn't set proper screens to create separation, Capela does, Harden has a lot of abilities, the inch perfect pass isn't it, and because Dwight doesn't have the athleticism (especially since he seems to be playing with back and knee issues, to make it worse, his body seems inconsistent, some days it's there, others there's nothing) to outrush his man back the pass looks rushed and into traffic resulting in turnovers. Also the reason the corner is open is because that player has rotated inside, trying to force the action and not taking what the defense gives us has been an issue itself.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, Harden wants Howard out. The passes to Dwight have increased since earlier this season, but it's still not enough. When James does pass, it's usually a half-assed attempt... bad lobs and/or simply waiting too long to get it to Dwight. James wants to be PG, then get your teammates the ball.

4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I think Dwight is just getting old. His game relied solely on his elite athleticism. Once you hit 30 man i swear some days your body just doesn't have it. He never developed the skills necessary to extend a career either. Hate to say it, but we need to try and find some value for this guy and give his job to Clint.

5. Aleron

Harden waits for other people to set their screen, Howard doesn't set proper screens for other people.

6. basketballholic

LOL. Doesn't set proper screens?!?!?!?

Our half-court offense consists of Howard loping around the court setting screen after screen after screen. Does he slip some picks? Sure. Does he occasionally slip a screen? Sure!?! Lordy, he's setting screens all over the place.

Way more often than not, Dwight sets the screen and totally blocks the opponent, freeing his teammate.

I just re-watched 2 games. Here's the question. How many times do Howard's teammates set him a screen to free him up at the rim???

Hint: Somewhere between never and hardly ever. Why not?

Just a simple cross screen for Howard with a ball reversal lob is a play we could run 4-6 times a game with either a dunk or foul drawn.

"Dwight doesn't set good screens" is a fallacious argument.

The fact is this team runs no plays to get Dwight the ball to finish. They've got him doing all the dirty work ..... on both ends of the floor and they simply marginalize him on the offensive end by making him the designated screen setter for e'erbody when they should be setting him a nice batch of screens to free him at the rim.

#26 basketballholic, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I do not personally believe that there is any motive of driving Dwight out of town by Harden. I do feel that there is still a enormous disconnect between the two on the court this season that we have not seen the last two seasons when they have played.

I mean James runs the pick and roll far more effectively this year with Clint and it seems that Dwight runs the pick and roll far more effectively with Marcus Thorton. Now Dwight still is despite his age and injury history I feel a much better pick and roll player than Capela. James is a far better player than Thorton in running the pick and roll as well.

Both players do need to be in sync to make the pick and roll work. The ball handler goes too late or early it fizzles out, the roller not moving and being a credible threat also makes it not work.

Right now i place the blame equally on both of the stars. Dwight isn't happy with James (as said by cyberx) and probably isnt setting the best of screens and James probably is also pissed at Dwight and not looking to him to finish when he does. Its a cycle that will continue until one player becomes the bigger man and extends an olive branch. Maybe Dwight feels he did that last year (the whole players meeting between him and terry where dwight said he wanted JH to do his thing and he would take a back seat) and wants to be more involved this year since it is a contract year for him. James probably doesnt want to lose the spot light especially after the lucrative summer he had after a very successful season as well.

IMO just very poor leadership on both players parts and unfortunately the one guy who probably was the leader for the team was fired

8. abaker28

abaker28 Member

This ^ - This is the only way I'd find any beef with Howard or possible impact on our performance or results we've seen this season, to be even remotely acceptable.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All this regression from Harden happened as soon as we got Howard. Thats when his defense went missing.

10. malakas

malakas Member

No. He may ignore him not trust him have no chemistry with him etc etc but dont believe he does it to get him to get traded.

And sounds r****ded to do it for durant who is right now winning wity his team while we suck.

11. basketballholic

The summer of 2016 is not right now.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Yes it will be right after okc goes deep in the playoffs and we either miss them or get humiliated by gsw in the first round.

Doesnt make sense.
    Unless Harden is incredibly stupid.

13. basketballholic

OKC missed the playoffs last season so using your logic we should have been the place where free agents wanted to come this summer.

Doesn't work that way. Players figure out who they want to play with and where they want to play. In the West, teams can go from division champs to out of the playoffs simply by standing still while a couple other teams upgrade....as we are very clearly demonstrating this season.

14. malakas

malakas Member

What???what is this analogy. Okc last year didnt have any major fa to resign and feared losing him. Durant will be pursued by not the whole league only a few teams and one of them is okc.
    Sign to a team that didnt make the playoffs with only harden star or ur previous team that made the playoffs and made a big run?

Surely harden cant be that retaded.

15. Aleron

I know Star Wars came out, but Kevin Durant isn't a clone, OKC only has 1 star without Kevin Durant as well. Funy thing with Durant is things say he'll go where he think he'll be happiest, and it's incredibly hard to gauge someone's opinion from that. That said, Harden would probably know if Durant is or isn't and why/why not. If he isn't, it's possible Harden is trying to get himself moved.

#35 Aleron, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  16. basketballholic

You're trying to make the case that OKC's recent past of winning will be stacked against our recent past of losing. I'm saying that's malarky. Where Durant wants to play, and who he wants to play with is more important than what OKC did last year. It's about looking forward.

And just to add to that idea....if Durant gets any inkling that Russ is going to bust it out of OKC to LA the next summer.....it won't matter if OKC wins 70 games this season. Russ' leaving in the future will have more of an effect on Durant than what he and Russ did last season.

17. dmoneybangbang

For me it's the turnovers... Really hoped Lawson would alleviate that issue.

18. malakas

malakas Member

And ibaka may not be a star but he is a star roleplayer. Who will help durant this year to make the playoffs. Who is ours?

Playoff team / lottery team.
    See a difference?

19. malakas

malakas Member

Absolutely im saying that the near history of losing or winning is a extremely important factor.

20. basketballholic

It is. But not nearly as important as future forseen conditions.