1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Big Unit does it again

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ROCKSS, Nov 5, 2002.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

NEW YORK -- Randy Johnson won his record-tying fourth straight National League Cy Young Award on Tuesday, a unanimous pick over Arizona teammate Curt Schilling.

Voting results
    Voting for the NL Cy Young Award, with first-, second- and third-place votes and total points on a 5-3-1 basis:
    Player 1st 2nd 3rd Total
    Johnson, Ari. 32 -- -- 160
    Schilling, Ari. -- 29 3 90
    Smoltz, Atl. -- 1 18 21
    Gagne, L.A. -- 2 2 8
    Oswalt, Hou. -- -- 8 8
    Colon, Mon. -- -- 1 1

Johnson will earn an additional $4 million because of the award.

He received all 32 first-place votes and 160 points from a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America to win his fifth Cy Young Award, one short of Roger Clemens' record.

Schilling was runner-up for the second straight season, getting 29 second-place votes and three thirds for 90 points. Atlanta closer John Smoltz was third with 21 points.

Which of these pitchers will receive the highest percentage of Hall of Fame votes?
    Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson
    Greg Maddux
    Pedro Martinez

Johnson matched Greg Maddux (1992-95) as the only pitchers to win four straight Cy Youngs and is the NL's first unanimous winner since Maddux in 1995. Johnson and Schilling became the first pitchers to finish 1-2 in Cy Young voting in consecutive years.

The Big Unit went 24-5 with a 2.37 ERA and 334 strikeouts, becoming the first major leaguer since Boston's Pedro Martinez in 1999 and the first NL player since the Mets' Dwight Gooden in 1985 to win pitching's triple crown.

The 39-year-old Johnson led the major leagues in strikeouts for the ninth time. He also led the majors in innings (260) and complete games (eight), and led the NL in lowest opponents' batting average (.208).

Schilling went 23-7 with a 3.23 ERA, 316 strikeouts and just 33 walks in 259 1/3 innings. Schilling, who has never won a Cy Young, was 21-5 with a 2.77 ERA though Aug. 31, while Johnson was 19-5 with a 2.63 ERA.

Johnson went 5-0 with a 0.66 ERA in September, while Schilling was 2-2 with a 6.19 ERA. On Sept. 20, Schilling allowed eight runs for only the third time and a career-high 14 hits in 9-4 loss to Colorado at Coors Field.

NL West champion Arizona was 55-15 when Johnson or Schilling started, 43-49 the rest of the time. The defending World Series champion Diamondbacks lost to St. Louis in the first round of the playoffs.

By winning the award, Johnson earned a $1 million bonus on top of his $12.35 million salary. In addition, his 2003 salary automatically increased from $12 million to $15 million.

His first Cy Young Award came with Seattle in 1995.

Schilling earned a $250,000 bonus for finishing second. His salary was $10 million.

More from ESPN...
    Schwarz: Big Unit pays off big
    Some doubted the logic when ...
    Cy Young Award winners
    Cy Young winners.

Cy Young debate: It's the Unit
    Will Randy Johnson win his ...

A look back at ESPN's award predictions
    How did ESPN.com's baseball ...

Hinske, Jennings make marks as Rookies of the Year
    Toronto third baseman Eric ...

ESPN Tools
    Email story

Most sent

Print story

Daily email

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Man, I thought you were going to brag about a date you had this weekend. WHEW!

;)

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Wizard of OS with 8 points! WOOHOO!

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

:D

5. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Damn. The Big Unit is amazing. And to think that we had him for a season. :(

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

LOL! Good stuff!

7. Timing

Timing Member

He's won the Cy Young four years straight since he left Houston. LOL Geez...

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Quite possibly, the tallest pitcher I have ever seen.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's kind of ridiculous that someone voted for Smoltz or Gagne over both Johnson or Schilling. I mean, all first and second place votes should have been split among those two guys. After that, I can see room for argument.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Johnson's win was unanimous. He got all of the 1st place votes.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This I understand, but Smoltz and Gagne still got some 2nd place votes, meaning that someone thought they were better than Schilling this season. Since Schilling and Johnson were so close, that just seems crazy to me.

12. Timing

Timing Member

I wonder if the home team media can vote for their own guys. Smells like a Vin Scully/Skip Caray conspiracy.

13. BALLhog 247 365

14. TraJ

TraJ Member

I thought he may have gone bird hunting with a baseball.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Personally I have a problem with relievers getting Cy Young votes, but that's just me. I suspect that Schillings crummy September (ERA over 6) had something to do with that since Gagne and Smoltz were consistent all year.