1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Big Risk We Should Consider (not a short post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 27, 2018.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not even with picks added?

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

But still a better fit than Ryno or Iso Joe.

And Capela is a linchpin on this Rockets D. There is no way Rockets can switch everything with Cousins on the floor. It was this switch everything D that forced GSW to 7 games.

Cousins on this Rockets team is a horrible idea. The goal is to beat GSW, can't do that with Cousins as starter.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Huge pass on Batum. Stop it

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think they would do it for a top 3 protected 2020 pick or 2021. Which would be smart for them, because everyone but Harden and Capela would be way past their prime and we would have had no money to add good players - so the pick has a great chance of being good. But do we really want to give that pick up? I'd rather bet on Cousins than Batum, despite the nature of Cousins' injury. Batum is not going to disturb the Warriors offensively or improve our defense. We don't lack another exterior playmaker, we lack an interior playmaker imo.

#84 Mathloom, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

But why would someone trade us a guaranteed better player than Capela for Capela?

Capela is young, will be locked up for 4-5 years, and keeps improving. The Knicks and Celtics are trying to draft Capela clones. Players better than Capela are healthy stars on good contracts.

Realistically, to get a better player than Capela, you have to take a risk. It has to be someone who might be better than Capela. There has to be some potential flaw in the player we're getting in order for the other team to offer us a player with a higher ceiling than Capela.

Cousins' injury is the worst. But we wouldn't be locked into it for more than 2-3 years if he doesn't end up being one of the best success stories from this type of injury. And you have to acknowledge that, as time passes, science is going to make recovery from this injury more likely.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Father time is undefeated. We are literally the oldest. The team had great chemistry. Only 1 player in the playoff roster might improve. The rest will almost certainly stay the same or decline.

Actually, I don't know why I'm debating this, the most common response to the post has been an acknowledgement that this is a problem. Standing pat would be a death sentence - we were a whisker better than them when healthy. Capela won't be able to negate Tucker, Ariza, Paul's age. Harden and Gordon are unlikely to improve.

Not to mention luck is an incredible factor for all champions. Can we deal with some bad luck in the second round next season? You have to be prepared for the future.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol it seems to me you are severely underrating improvement naturally following from getting more playing time together..it was only the first year of that squad being together

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They had incredible chemistry, filled with friends off the court and they are all vets. Even given teams will improve from playing one season together, we will likely have the least such improvement out of any team to stand pat.

Think about it for a second. We are the oldest team in the league (especially if you only include rotation players), we won more than anyone expected, the chemistry was tremendous and the guys had no locker room problems. We also have a coach who prefers to play these guys huge minutes so our old players are more likely to decline. This is no longer hocus pocus. Teams have been hurting us with this. Harden has been going to the line 10 times a game for several seasons now and has been incredibly healthy. It's time to cut his minutes load a bit more (yes, MDA did this a bit, as if he had a choice).

I'm always ALWAYS optimistic about in-team improvement especially with good organizations, but let's be realistic about what we have. If we are going to improve, then the Warriors will improve more, and Philly/Boston will improve much much much faster in one summer. We're not in a vacuum. Improvement should be measured relative to league. You can accelerate your performance, while having the slowest acceleration of all teams in the league. We are heading for JUST THAT right now.

Even teams like the Wolves, Jazz and Thunder - they can improve more than us and have flexibility to add pieces at least through MLE's that won't destroy their cap flexibility.

If we look at this thing objectively, this team's only avenue for internal improvement is Capela's marginal yearly improvement and the minor uptick in chemistry. That has to be measured against the entire rotation's age + the rest of the league's higher ceiling for internal improvement. Please pause here for 10 seconds. For real. Our improvement has to be measured against the entire rotation's age + the rest of the league's higher ceiling for internal improvement.

Many people seem to take this personally, but I'm sure it's on Morey's mind and I'm sure he will struggle to make the case to MDA. Morey has gotten us here with shrewd, objective decisions. I understand him and he is always taking care of things that no one seemed to worry about. At the very least, we will have to take risks by forcing in Zhou Qi, Hartenstein and/or RJ Hunter while pushing out Green, Ariza and/or Nene. This will cost us regular season games if we do it faithfully, but it could get us a shocking blossoming talent by the end of the regular season. I'm not sure those young guys have the potential to shock us.

I genuinely hope we defeat the odds, but that's not how management should operate. Management needs to worry about the objective world.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’d be lying if I said I watched Hornets games this year. I only watched three or four, can’t even remember if Batum played in them. But is he really a better version than Ariza? I doubt it. Not Arizas biggest fan these days but he did have some big moments in the playoffs (not as much as I would have liked) and I really can’t imagine Batum doing anything better than Ariza, added on top of the fact that one is best friends with our stars. I feel like he’s totally the type of player that if we acquired would start off with some hot games and slowly fizzle away as the season goes on to the point where he is horrendously disappointing come playoff time.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

True that we are an old team but one important point that you are ignoring is that our best player, the league MVP, is only 28. The hardest thing in team building is acquiring superstars. We already have one so putting pieces around him is less difficult.

I'd also disagree with the idea that we won't improve. If nothing else, with an additional year in our "switch everything" defense, we should be even better. Likewise on offense, it's not crazy to think that another season with the core guys playing together won't lead to improvements.

Not sure why Harden and Gordon can't improve either. Harden has kept improving every year, why has he suddenly reached a peak? Gordon didn't shoot the 3 well at all last year. He's a career 37.6% 3pt shooter but he only shot 35.9% last year. He can't improve that?

jch1911 likes this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Trevor is the better defender, and shooting wise they are a wash, but Batum is a much better facilitator/playmaker than Ariza. He’s averaged 5.9, 5.8 and 5.5 assists per game the last three years, and 5 a game the two years before that in Portland. You know how people clamored for a better backup point guard when CP3 went down against the Warriors? Batum could easily fill that role.

Also, I never said to trade for Batum as an Ariza replacement. I want him in addition to Luc, PJ and Trevor on the perimeter, getting rid of only Ryan Anderson, who is unplayable against the Warriors, in the process. Now, the idea has been debunked due to the repeater’s tax ramifications in a few seasons, but it was never to replace Ariza with Batum. It was to replace Anderson with Batum in the rotation.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Cousins for Capella? Clint has gotten better every year, is younger, is a perfect compliment to James and system, and a lot more durable.

I'll take Kevin Love than Cousins. If we're not getting James I'd go with a solid guard.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You are talking about what's possible, and I agree that it is possible.

But my post is about what is likely. Harden has been a top 3 player for 4 of the past 5 seasons. The best season any player in the NBA has had in the past 5 seasons is not going to be much better than Harden was. Gordon is not going to improve - the reason his % is lower than his career average is because his attempts are dramatically higher than his career average. He is not likely to become as prolific as Steph Curry, which is what he would be if he shot late 30's percentage on this many attempts per minute.

I've said it a few times: we will improve by standing pat. Everyone in the NBA would improve by standing pat. The likeliest scenario is that we improve less than pretty much everyone else. I don't think we should accept the odds on beating that. We worked as hard as a team can possibly work. We had great chemistry. We revolutionized a couple of ideas. We were a whisker better and only when we were healthy. I don't want to go into next season betting on the oldest core in the league outpacing the younger core Warriors - with both teams making minor improvements due to flexibility issues.

We should take a risk. You avoid risks when the odds are in your favor imo.

14. aelliott

Based on that, why do you assume that GS will improve? Harden can't improve but Durant and Curry can? I'm not following.

Who else matters?

Are you assuming that a best case of Lebron and another max guy + young guys suddenly makes LAL better than us? Lebron just had what many are calling the best season of his 15 year career. So he's going to "likely" improve?

Seems like you're being overly pessimistic regarding Houston and overly optimistic towards everyone else.

Morey is usually willing to take risks but you have to weigh the amount of risk vs the reward. Even if we stand pat, I can pretty much guarantee you that we'll still do something. Just like last year, we got Tucker and Luc and folks were underwhelmed.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't assume GS will improve. I assume the likeliest scenario: they will stay roughly the same (it's not like they're young) and we will get slightly worse (we are the oldest).

I don't know why you're assuming I'm saying these things? Everyone would improve by standing pat. We are likely to improve the least out of anyone who decides to stand pat, because our core consists of players who are least likely to develop due to their age. Older players are less likely to improve. We have the oldest core in the league, and the Warriors core are not old.

Last year, we got Chris Paul. We outplayed everyone's rational expectations except a small faction of always-over-optimistic fans. The amount of effort it took to finish 1st in the regular season and take the Warriors to 5 games (before losing Paul) is enormous, and the guys are old.

I feel like you're asking why the oldest core in the league shouldn't have their future looked at as: 50% likely to be better, 50% likely to get worse. It's not 50-50. If they improve, it would be a statistical surprise. Yes it is possible. Things that have a 10% chance of happening are possible. I'm just describing what is likely. It's not debatable. The oldest team is least likely to show internal improvement, unless there was a chemistry problem like for example with the Thunder.

I'm not even describing what I believe. What I believe is that this organization/team will continue to beat expectations. But I believe that they are that way whether we take a risk or not. Whether we stand pat or we take a huge risk, this team minus Dwight Howard has outplayed expectations for damn near a decade now. But that's a characteristic of the organization which I'm suggesting we direct towards taking on a risk that most other organizations can't take on: nursing the achilles injury of a phenomenal individual talent who has thus far been unable to connect his skills to winning.

16. aelliott

If we keep the same core, there's nothing that says that we get worse in the next year. You've already admitted that we'll get better by just staying together. GS core has been together for 2 to 4 years so they won't benefit to the extent we will by more time together. We had two new starters last year and a couple of key bench players were new. Our starting lineup (with Tucker) didn't really get set till the latter part of the season. We didn't fully dedicate to the switch everything until late in the season. We have a greater opportunity that GS for improvement. When everyone was healthy, we were better then them last year. So if we improve more than them then that's fine.

Nobody else matters regardless of the improvement that they make because we'll still be better than them. If you're looking 5 years down the road, then ok but the Rockets are looking at next season not years down the road. That's the timeframe that matters right now and I don't believe that there's anything that says that we will decline in the next year.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I mentioned all of this, have definitely taken it into account. I think I'm taking both things into account: the likely improvement from staying together + the likely loss in athleticism via age + minutes erosion.

I feel like you are ignoring age for some reason? Why wouldn't age matter AS WELL AS what you've described? Also your scenario seems to be by far the most positive outcome that could happen. There are dozens of possibilities at least. Why would the best thing in the world happen i.e. nothing gets worse except we just get better at playing together?

In case you think I'm being most pessimistic, here is the most pessimistic: The team gets slower + they have peaked in terms of executing these strategies + Chris Paul strains his hamstring in game 4 of the first round + we're locked into this team for the long term.

Between the worst and best outcomes, there are lots of other outcomes. I'm describing just the most likely of those things to happen while you keep typing out things that are possible. Yes, it's possible Clint Capela makes an incredible leap in his offense. Harden has a significantly better season. Paul has his most injury free season in years. Yes these things are possible. Those things are as likely as us losing in the first round. They would be ill-advised bets.

The best bet is: we barely improve at executing these strategies + Capela gets slightly better + everyone else in the core is the same or slightly worse. This is what you would expect if you had no bias towards the team + full knowledge of its history/assets.

Anyways, I guess we disagree.

18. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Batum is the overall better player and he’s almost 5 years younger than Ariza. I would love to see a swap with Anderson in case Ariza wants too much money as a FA and signs with another team. Barnum would be an upgrade and we would get rid of Anderson who was a disaster last year and clearly can’t defend against anyone.

19. aelliott

In general, I agree that you take risks if it might bring you a title but you have ( to weigh the pros and cons.

We're really close right now. If you don't think that we have a legitimate shot at winning next year, then we'll have to disagree.

I believe that we're right there, really close. Because of that you don't take risks with wildly variable outcomes. If you can make a move that really increases your chances then you do it (example: Lebron) What you don't do is make a move that may or may not even make us better and could completely blow up in our faces and take us completely out of contention next year.

joshuaao and justtxyank like this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, especially with San Antonio moving out Kawhi (I imagine this has to happen) and giving Pop some young talent to work with. Back in contention.