1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Big Risk We Should Consider (not a short post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 27, 2018.

1. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Cousins' +/- against the Warriors has consistently been negative. Even though Capela was neutralized on offense in the WCF, he held his own defensively. I worry that Cousins would be targeted and abused on that end.

hakeem94 and Bobsputin like this.
  2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I have no idea if there’s a realistic path, and I’m not an insider, so take this for what it’s worth.

But last summer, I did multiple NBA2k seasons for the Rockets with Melo, Rockets with Lebron, and Rockets with Boogie.

And I was shocked at how much better the Rockets with Boogie were.

I would absolutely roll the dice. Boogie’s got a little Warrior-killer in him, too.

fba34 and treyk3 like this.
  3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Would also like to point out that the only way to acquire Boogie this summer is via sign-and-trade

This would put us at a hard cap, making it very difficult to retain all of our free agents (most likely lose Ariza, maybe Luc too).

4. cebu

cebu Member

Wow. all that words just to sell Cousins.... that guy is mentally ill.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Well, I would say that he impacted the Pelicans for sure. Like I said they were really starting to click before he got hurt. I'll stick with my take on the Kings. I'd say if you put Harden on that team that Cousins (or anyone really) was on he probably have a rough time too.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Dallas and NO offered the same money to Capela I don't see why he would want to be a Pelican.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cousins coming off a devastating Achilles injury switching out on the perimeter against GS...things will get ugly for him real quick

YOLO, hakeem94 and clutchdabear like this.
  8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

there are very few rim-running centers who can also defend positions 1-5 in the league. capela is one of them. cousins, for the life of him, can't stay in front of any pg. our defensive identity carried us in the playoffs, even though our offense took all the headlines in the regular season.

any free agents we target should fit into our defensive strategy of hyper-switching.
    cousins is a clear no for me.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

well hes no longer the best player

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Trading for a maxed out Cousins (SnT) would leave the Rockets over the tax apron so we would not be allowed to receive him in a SnT deal without first getting rid of a lot of salary.

Also, under this scenario, both Capela and Cousins would be BYC players. Each would only count half of their new salary for their old teams outgoing salary but count at the full amount for their new teams incoming salary. That makes the salary matching very difficult.

Mathloom likes this.
  11. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

You really put a lot of thought into this. Lots of words, my thoughts simple NO.

12. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think the only way you could add Cousins would be if he came in on a flier 2-year contract. An injured Cousins probably looks lightning quick compared to Nene. And Cousins has a tremendous feel for rebounding. CP3 would make him look great.

I could make a similar case for DeAndre Jordan. CP3 makes him into a viable offensive threat. But I'm not offering him a long term deal either.

I think if we're 1) not getting LeBron and 2) getting outbid on Capela, we have to think about all our options. Cousins on a team friendly deal as he works his way back from injury would be a steal. We would, of course, be taking a gamble on his maturity which has held him back over and over again.

But I wouldn't stop there. Once Anderson is out of the way, I think we need to add a young wing to go with (or to replace Ariza). There's lots of options in this market that fit that bill.

13. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Yeah, and he wouldn't be here. I am not saying that I want Boogie over Capela. But I think OP makes good points, and that Cousins is a top 15 player.

14. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Cousins, donkey green, "swaggy p", are a few of some players that I don't care how good they might seem to be I would never want those personalities in a rockets uniform personally. Can't stand them.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is a baseless premise, so it was hard for me to take the rest seriously. Maybe should've tucked this in the middle where I wouldn't have noticed it. ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with alot of your points except for the Cousins part. Cousins at a minimum pay check and in a situation where we are not relying on him is ok. If we are messing with letting Capella go that means we are replacing our Core. That means we need a guarantee improvement. Our window to win with CP3 and Harden will not stay open very long. So if we are going to lose Capella then it has to be for someone that can instantly improve our team. Cousins is way too huge of a risk while we are hoping to bubble wrap CP3 and Nene can't be over used. The Rockets are probably at their most important offseason in years and we definitely can't stand still so that does mean shake ups. If we remain stagnant, I do not think we are going to be able to get where we were last season. Especially if we are trying to improve from last season and the conference finals are not just the goal. The Jazz will be improved. San Antonio will most likely have some of their crap and drama figured out. If we don't get Lebron then we definitely need to figure out who we can obtain as that other star. If De Andre wants to come on a Ball boy cheap contract or Capella is really willing to take a paycut in order for us to obtain that last star, then we do it. We are not Boston that has the ability to wait.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Millsap is more realistic, IMO.

Denver can’t be thrilled with their bang for their buck after year #1. Convincing them to take Anderson will be costly, though.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Probably wouldn't put him that high based on what he's shown but that's your list anyway

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Probably could get Faried (expiring) for Anderson almost straight up
    I don't think they cut bait on Milsap so quickly.
    A thought:
    PHO: Anderson (HOU) + 2019 HOU 1st (top 5 protected) + 2020 DEN 2nd Suns pick up a 1st & 2nd to take on Anderson's contract
    DEN: Onuaku (HOU) cut prospective tax bill & dump Faried's contract
    HOU: Faried (DEN) + Chandler (PHO) Both expiring contracts + rebounding + interior defense (esp. for playoffs) + Faried & Chandler have played for TEAM USA basketball ;)