1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Big Risk We Should Consider (not a short post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

ML,

I appreciate you're trying to offer an out-of-the-box idea, especially to get our minds off the other FA stuff. However, your initial statement is that we're an old team and your recommendation centers around us giving up our most promising young talent for an older player coming off a career threatening injury. From a risk management standpoint, I don't see the "potential" upside of adding Cousins' more well-rounded game as a better approach versus signing and further developing Clint.

Cousins was an awesome talent, but it was only last year that his game truly started to blossom in NO. His injury as other have chronicled is devastating and the likelihood he returns to his former self next year is low. He also probably won't be available for a portion of next season and I wouldn't want to rely on Nene and Wright to carry the load until he returns.

On the hand, as you mentioned below, Clint has continued to improve each year and those strides had him in the running as "Most Improved" this year. I've read where he has other facets to his game that have not incorporated into the offense yet. I'm excited about watching his continued development and truly appreciate when we're able to grow our own.

We can't sit on our hands (sorry James), but I think we can improve the team that should have won the trophy without assuming this much risk.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

A bigger risk is holding on to Anderson until final year of contract and try to trade for AD if he forces his way out of NO

3. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I feel you OP. It's hard to see how we can get better without a high level of risk being involved.
    I think Cousins would definitely fit but I'm too concerned about his recovery.
    The other smaller additions that others have suggested just don't move the needle enough in my opinion.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I disagree. Ryno has fallen further than Batum. But the future is subjective I guess. If I'm the Hornets, I only do it if I get a pick. Otherwise, there are teams who would take on Batum imo. Hornets are in no rush.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

At the trade deadline last year the Hornets shopped Kemba with the caveat that he was a sweetner to get someone to absorb Batum.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

As much as I love Capela, at full strength, Cousins is a dramatically better player. But we're not talking about full strength, otherwise Cousins would be getting the 5 year max without any doubt from any team.

Most fans can see Capela MIGHT not be worth that, though his track record of progress is promising. I just think he'd a bad match up vs the Warriors. It happens to the best of players, not a knock on his performance vs everyone else.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Different scenario - and it wasn't a sweetener, it was a condition of acquiring Kemba. Batum + Kemba is $40m. That's complex.

I think for example Evan Turner and Meyers Leonard for Batum and filler works well for both. Nuggets could be interested. KEEPING Batum might be better than acquiring Ryno given the Hornets want to tank.

Batum is a good 4. If we could get him, I'd be happy. I just don't see the worst contract in the league - Ryno - being painted as a better option than anyone else. Batum is playable in a Finals game at the 4. That kind of stuff matters a lot.

8. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

When would he even be back to playing?

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I hope so, but I'm not content with letting Capela's yearly marginal improvement outpacing the entire team's decline. Ariza, Tucker, Paul are old. Gordon has peaked. What more can Harden do? We need to add to this just to stay the same - and then we would be locked into this team for half a decade.

Here's to hoping Capela shocks us again. But I fear people are putting unfair and unrealistic expectations on him. Improving 4 summers in a row is tremendous as it is. We can't put ourselves in the position that we are furious at him for not carrying this team over the hill.

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He would realistically not be NBA-fit till November I'd imagine. And he would have to be his lightest playing weight ever. Worth it imo.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

why would he be at his lightest playing weight? if you're not able to actually perform bc of an achilles it makes you gain weight not lose. not to mention it delays actual game shape

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I agree with you that a completely healthy Cousins is a superstar and Capela, a young DeAndre Jordan, is not. My only real concerns would be Cousins’ recovery from his torn achilles, and what kind of rim protector he is. If DeMarcus is an effective rim protector, then it’s a gamble worth taking.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I know it would take more to ultimately get the deal done, but with how well Mirotic and Davis clicked as a 4/5 tandem, could the Pelicans be more interested in Eric Gordon than Capela?

14. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Great post.

I think people seriously downplay how good Cousins is. Not only is he a monster on the interior, but he is a career 34% 3 point shooter, and over the past three seasons that is probably closer to 35%. While I am not saying I totally agree, I do think you definitely could be right about this.

Right now I may still say no, but that could be because of my attachment to Capela as a fan.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

cousins impact on winning isn't as nearly as good as his numbers indicate. thats been evident for years. people look at him as if hes some huge star. he isn't

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Two diverging topics here:

On Batum -
    He is making $25 MM per year until 2021! Hornets took on Mozgov to save luxury tax money and because they are capped out until 2020. Ryno expires in 2020. They will continue to be a mediocre team until 2020, when only Cody Zeller and Batum are on contract. You better believe they'd be open to trade Batum's gargantuan deal to free up more space in the '20-21 offseason. The Rockets will be in the luxury tax for the next several years. We are not going to pay the repeater tax for a solid, if unspectacular, forward, without other compensation.

On Cousins -
    Talk about a high-risk move. I love Cousins' game because he really has all the tools. He is a brute and does not rely on athleticism, which is why I think his effectiveness won't be limited much by this Achilles injury. He is a bit slow-footed on the perimeter, which would be main main reservation about this deal.

Everything we do is with the Warriors in mind. Draymond wreaked havoc in the WCF by playing free safety on defense. Capela was largely neutralized against them in this year's playoffs. What can he add to his game that would change this? He's not adding a jumper. A more solid hook shot would help, but should we depend on that to swing the series? Should we pay $20 MM+ in hopes of that?

Cousins would be perfect to counteract the Warriors switching defense. He can straight up bully Draymond, and absolutely dominate against Curry and their wings. There's no way Dray could abandon him and help on drives. Plus, he'd enable us to run a 5-out offense, pick and roll, AND a pick and pop offense. That versatility is key when playing against a defensive juggernaut like GSW.

Basically the calculus is this:

Bring back Capela and hope he improves his offensive game. Our switching D continues to be disruptive
    VS
    Bring Cousins in. Abuse the Warriors switching D and add more layers to our offense. Make the bet that Cousins can 1) recover from his injury, and 2) be effective enough playing out on the perimeter defensively.

Very high upside move with the potential to be catastrophic. I honestly see the merits of both positions. But since I feel we are so close, I'd lean to keeping Capela - there's still opportunity for him to add a hook and gain more chemistry with CP3.

Vivi and hakeem94 like this.
  17. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I've gone back and forth with a lot of people about this. I understand the arguments against him but I respectfully disagree. The Kings were/are one of the worst organizations in the NBA, and the Pelicans were really hitting their stride with Cousins/Davis when Cousins went down. In my opinion, I think he is a top 12-15 player

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course the counter is always blame the team and not the player. never gets old.

no it just means he isn't good enough to impact winning as the best player

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Easy to achieve with diet. He's already jogging in water and taking jumpers. I'm sure he'll be jogging on a zero-weight treadmill within a month. Getting in shape can happen much sooner than game shape. I'm sure trainers will let him know dropping weight is key to securing a rare recovery. He already came into camp in good shape last season, and if he's as committed to coming back as he's making it seem (he's been promoting this very actively on social) then he can do it.

Demarcus is one of those guys. On a crappy team, his mind will drift towards silly things. When faced with a challenge that aligns with his value system, he will thrive. Unfortunately, player psychology is not an MDA strong suit, which is something to think about.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't know if he's as effective a rim protector as Capela, but he is certainly capable of shutting down the likes of Green, McGee, Looney, etc. My higher concern with his defense is he was too big to be effective on a switch like Capela, and if he loses a further step then he is likely a major liability to that end.

Possibly, but that would really be ******** on Gordon sending him back there, and we would then have Capela and Cousins. We can't afford to invest that much in one spot imo. Gordon would look great there though. The other thing is Gordon makes around $12m, and we don't have an easy $8m player to throw in there. Would be impossible to make that match I think?