1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Big Risk We Should Consider (not a short post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Let's assume we're not getting Lebron James.

Before recommending an outrageous acquisition, here are my base assumptions:

- We are an OLD TEAM. Very old. In fact, despite what Harden said the other day, we are probably the least likely team in the NBA to improve by standing pat. The Warriors will almost certainly not get worse. It does not make sense to expect us to be as competitive next season as this. The Celtics and Sixers will improve a shocking amount this offseason even if they just retain their current players. The only other threat is wherever Lebron is playing, and whether it's Cleveland (who added the #8 pick and aren't in Luxury Tax territotry) or elsewhere (where he will certainly team up with at least one other star) it's unlikely that his team next season won't be better than last. We are old and, as any well put together contender, don't have lots of flexibility to make big moves.

- Our talent inside was a problem for us against the Warriors. TUCKER AND CAPELA are both extremely hard working, and they both helped us win entire series' along the way. But you need to be able to drop the ball to one of your big men once in a blue moon (or during a historic 3-pt drought) and get a few tough buckets to be forced home. These guys can't do that. They also are not notable passers. Capela has surprised us with his development literally every season he's been here. Would it be irrational for him to have ONE offseason EVER where he doesn't improve? No. It's not irrational at all. If Capela comes back the exact same player, his track record of improvement is still stellar. The league would be in serious trouble if he came to camp able to hit 5 more percent of his free throws and 10 more percent of his hook shots. But that's not set in stone. It's a risk, and right now, it's the easiest risk to take for the Rockets. More on risk in a bit.

- What happens after CHRIS PAUL? Paul at least played Curry to a stalemate, and I know he can do it one more time. Our trainers are excellent, they will have him in better shape than he was before. He has tasted the WCF. The belief that he can still go toe-to-toe with the ex-MVP is going to be powerful. But what about the next 3-5 years while Harden is in his prime? Can we carry this project with Harden/Paul/Capela for 3-5 years with no extra money to improve the team?

- Most FA's are impossible for us to get. What I'm suggesting here is based on REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS about George, Lebron, etc. A healthy elite player is going to be dramatically harder to get, and the rest of the field might be gone by the time we're done pursuing. Do we really need a George? Even when not healthy, we were closer to the Warriors than a Paul George. And Paul George will not be here without losing important pieces.

- This is the best MDA gets. I'm resigned to this fact now.

So here's what I think. I think we should take a big risk. I don't think we should dick around with some minimum signings. I don't think we should keep the oldest team in the league intact just because we were better than the Warriors when healthy - given we will not improve and they will not get worse. What would save us is if they had an injury, but that's putting control in the hands of chance.

The risk I think we should take is to swap Clint Capela for Demarcus Cousins. Throughout the years with so many people notoriously downplaying Capela's growth I have argued fiercely against it. I know Clint Capela is a tremendous talent, and I know teams are now trying to get Capela CLONES on their squads. I know people will throw the max at him. I know he has earned the respect he's getting. I know he's young, and I know he will still improve.

I know.

I know Cousins is coming off the most devastating injury an NBA player can suffer, I know. I know he has attitude issues, I know.

I also know there is a good chance Cousins can destroy the Warriors from the inside, at a time when Paul and now finally Harden can relax about taking a lot of shots. I know that Paul could be a stabilizing force in Cousins' career. I know that Cousins might not get the max, and he almost certainly won't get a 4-5 year deal. That's the only reason we have a chance. I know that we can afford to wait 6 months for him to be in playing shape. This roster can finish 2nd in the regular season with minimal depth at C. With Ryno, Brandan Wright and Nene - this team will hold up while Cousins works his way back in.

What we if we could get him on a 3 year deal at the max? What if he recovers and suddenly you have Draymond gasping for dear life trying to guard his own man, nevermind having the room to disrupt drives from Harden/Paul? What about the passing Cousins can bring to this team, the high post play? 5-out offense? Draymond and Durant are hopeless against a 90% Cousins.

It's a big risk. I would HATE to lose Capela. Cousins can go horribly wrong. But there's a decent chance that the combination of a good team with vets and excellent trainers could make the previously impossible possible. I would do it.

I know it makes you anxious and worry about never getting to the finals again. Who cares? If it doesn't work out, we rebuild in 2 years instead of being locked in for 5.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Appreciate the thought put into the post but...I'll respectfully decline...much like Cousins' career post Achilles injury

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If we cannot get LeBron, I'd be ecstatic with adding Cousins and Nerlens Noel if Capela demands too much on the market.

bilaal14 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

some good stuff in here but when I saw cousins as the answer, I'll definitely without hesitation pass

cbass, fattz, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Cousins wasn't injured, then he might have worth the gamble. Capela isn't a max player, but what can DM realistically get for him, without hurting the defense?

We should also remember that any team that acquires Capela will end up with a hard cap.

6. Coach E

Coach E Member

7. brosef

brosef Member

i only read about one line of your post. But hey LZ!

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is Cousin’s injury been proven to heal faster then it did 10 years ago? I love Capela but it would be worth considering if Cousins is good to go by some point mid season.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m sorry, but Cousins is coming off an Achilles tear, that is 1 of the worst injuries a basketball player could have.

I agree that we definitely shouldn’t stand pat, but Cousins is a huge risk. Not only is he crazy, he might not ever be the same player again.

roslolian and BigMaloe like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

ACL tears comebacks are much improved and quicker compared to years previously but Achilles on the other hand are not

roslolian, peleincubus and BigMaloe like this.
  11. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I know Trolls will appear in this thread...I like Cousins a lot and would take a healthy him any day over Caplea as well. He’s a bully and great at his job despite his poor arse attitude.

Up the risk profile right? Capela could play the same role on the Pelicans with AD leading the way.

I could see the pelicans jumping all over that.

Trackwell likes this.
  12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree. The moves to make would be adding a quality player with the taxpayer MLE (Evans, Redick, Bradley, Rudy Gay, KCP) and swapping Anderson for Batum in Charlotte. I get that Batum has a bad contract, worse than Anderson’s, but the reality is that once the Rockets sign CP3 and Capela, they are going to operate above the cap for a long time. Batum is a better version of Ariza that offers playmaking ability in addition to being a 3 & D guy. He would give the Rockets a third facilitator and ballhandler that enables them to rest Harden and Paul more during the season. Also, he fits in the Tuckwagon lineup against the Warriors, whereas Ryan Anderson does not.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'll pass on Cousins

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, how are you getting Cousins, at the max, on this team? Have to be a deal with NO, sign and trade, you are still losing assets, hard cap blah blah blah. Doesn't make sense. Nope. I get what you are saying though, and appreciate the premise of the post.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Only if we get some Love too.

Who wouldn't want some Love Cousins action, amirite?

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Nope , not Cousins.

He is coming off such a devastating injury that you don't expect a full return from and …. He just doesn't have it between the ears - Low IQ player.

I'll keep Capela and work to move Ryno's contract and other assets for an upgrade.

fattz, Richie_Rich, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If Cousins wasn't injured, we have no shot. The whole point is he is available because of the associated risk. We would be betting on a recovery.

Little Bit and fba34 like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

id much rather have ariza than batum

Deckard and BigMaloe like this.
  19. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Cousins will most likely never be the same.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/1...nt-wesley-matthews-rudy-gay-this-is-the-worst

"We know more about ACL tears, and there are occasionally injuries that are more gruesome, like Gordon Hayward’s broken ankle during the 2017 season opener. We’ve also seen players recover quicker from Achilles injuries in recent years than the past. However, we’ve also seen many players never fully recover and, in some instances, never play another game.

According to a 2013 medical study that identified 18 players who suffered major Achilles injuries over a 23-year span (1988-2011), seven players never returned to the league. Players who returned missed an average of 56 games and saw their PER decline in their first and second seasons back. A 2015 CBS Sports article found that among 14 players who returned from Achilles injuries since 1992, they averaged fewer minutes while both their field goal and three-point percentages dropped, on average."

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I would prefer that too, but it is a fantasy. Charlotte will not swap Batum for Anderson, it's not even debatable. We have to be realistic about what we can do.

saleem likes this.