1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the big man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMing#1, Aug 22, 2010.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

With all the talk of carmello anthony coming to the rockets. i wanted to take our minds of something we have no control over and concentrate on someone we atleast know will be suiting up in a rockets uniform. Yao Ming is coming back this year and i have very high expectations and hope, that he will regain form and be the 20 point 10 rebound guy we all know and love. the rockets have invested alot of money into the team for this upcoming season. now i may be a homer but this leads me to believe that Yao is completely healthy and ready to return to dominance and the organization truely feels that he should be injury free. Yao is not old hes only going to be playing this season at 30 and should be in the prime of his career, also this is not the first time he has had to come back from a major injury and every time he has he's dominated. i really think yao is back and ready and with or without carmello a dominant healthy yao can lead us to the promise land he's really that good. this truly is the year of yao :)

1 person likes this.
  2. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Okaayy.. cool?

3. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Jk, but i do think he can be dominant this year.. but then again, thats how i always feel before and after a Yao injury.. :rolleyes: Youre not saying anything stupid, but i dont think its worth a new thread, but then again.. none of the threads are these days. :) BTW, his prime was 2 or 3 yrs ago IMO..

4. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Well, if there is one guy on this team that can go through injury and fight his way back.....it's Yao.
    I have 100% belief he will be return to form. Could be a special year.
    And he does have B-Rad backing him up. :grin:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRehQUGZboE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRehQUGZboE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

i understand that there is alot of threads and maybe i shouldnt be starting a new one i just think people underrate him. when healthy hes the best big man in the league and a top 5 player. i just wanted to make a thread that uplifts our hopes for this season. i love the rockets and yao hes such a hard worker and good person we our truly lucky to have him on our team this is the reason i think he is gonna return and be the same yao we all know he can be. watch the youtube video of the rockets vs blazers game one yao only played 24 min and netted 24 pts and 9 rebs just to get a reminder of how dominant he is and theres no reason he cant do the same things this season that he did in that game.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I thought the top 5 players make all nba 1st team. Did I miss something?

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

and your right his prime was 3 years ago but hes still in the middle of his prime in basketball years and should have atleast 3 more after this assuming he stays healthy.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

1st team all nba have to play the whole season and unfourtently he has not completed 1 in 3 years.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

as·sume   /əˈsum/ Show Spelled [uh-soom] Show IPA verb, -sumed, -sum·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to take for granted or without proof; suppose; postulate; posit: to assume that everyone wants peace.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

i dont understand all the hate for yao hes the only player that can take us to the promise land we should all be praying for no injuries for the rest of his career. he is the biggest unknown in the entire nba every team is preparing for a yao centered team that should say enough and other teams dont even know if he will play again thats how good the guy is.

12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I give you A for the effort. But sorry to burst your bubble but the days of him dominating and the best big man is in the past. When he WAS healthy back then, he is maybe top 20, but top 5 is just delusional.

Most of the time Nba players usually reached their prime in their late 20s. But its a different story with Yao Ming. His body just cannot withstand it. I say Yao have 2-3 seasons left. This injury is major. That's why it took over an entire season for him to heal completely. I don't even know if he's even 100%. If Yao was 24-26 years old then we can have faith in him returning to his All Star form. But he's 30 which in his case, is very old to him.

Shaq is much older than Yao and have more than double the mileage that Yao has and I still think Yao will retire before Shaq does. Its not like Im counting Yao out completely because I still believe he can help the Rockets in many different ways. I mean he's still 7'5 so he can still protect the paint well and dominate on the smaller and weaker guys. It just that I won't count on him to score 20 points a night and grab 9 rebounds. The more realistic number for Yao this upcoming season is more of a 12-15 ppg and 6-7 rpg. If he can put those numbers up, everyone would be happy.

But the All Star Yao Ming that we all witnessed is behind us now. He will probably be a great role player for this team. But it doesn't matter how much he scores or rebounds per game. For now, lets worry more about if he can manage to stay healthy over the course of the season and give the Rockets a couple of more years.

13. Blunt

Blunt Member

Everyone respects Yao, due to the way he carries himself and stands for.
    We as Rockets Fans are a little hesitant about putting our complete trust on injury plagued players.
    Thankfully Yao doesn't promise to deliver and just go back on his word. It is what it is, we have to build trust in Yao with every passing game in the season, we just won't set ourselves up for another disappointment.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

theres only a handful of players that cant be stopped in single coverage and yao is one of them, and i agree to disagree that he cant return to dominance. name me 5 big men that are better than yao he dominates every single one of them hes gonna be just fine this season and seasons to come, i really believe that.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He is what he is. A cash cow for Les and a dominating player for half a season. No more no less.

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

You're right about one thing. Yao is at times underrated but the way you're saying it, he's overrated.

Look, I know Yao is a good player. An All Star player, not superstar. He is the type of player that when he's healthy, he will get his numbers. But when the pressure is on, he often struggles. You think Yao is the guy that can take us to the promise land? If Yao Ming was truly the guy that can take this team to the promise land, he would of done it years ago when he was young and healthy. Now, at age 30 and after all the major foot injuries, I highly doubt he'll be the one to do so. I mean he would be an important factor to a championship team, but not the one leading a championship team.

I know its hard to see that our franchise player we drafted and watched grew into an All Star is no longer the main focal point. As much as the Rockets said Yao is still the main focal point, I know Les and Morey are well aware of Yao's capabilities and his limitations. They are aware that Yao cannot be depended on. But I mean they're not just going to go out on public and say that Yao is no longer the cornerstone of this franchise. That's why Morey is working his butt off trying to acquire a Star player to this team. Its because they know that Yao is not the player he once was.

If Yao was still an All Star caliber player and they believe that he can be the main focal point to a championship and they can depend on him, wouldn't you think that Yao along with this great group of players is enough to make a run? But Yao isn't what he was anymore so Morey knows he must find a new player that can lead this team. Trust me, he's not looking for a sidekick to Yao Ming anymore. He's looking for that alpha dog, that star power that can be the key to winning it all.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

i disagree i think DM is looking for a sidekick for yao and knows that another stud with yao is championship material. DM and les knew that the odds of getting another star is very slim but yet they still invested alot of money. your point about yao not taking us to the promise land early in his career is because he was not the leader, tmac was. the one time yao was the leader was when we got past the 1st round and i think if yao wouldnt have got hurt in the lakers series we would have been in the finals that year so ya i do think he is a dominant superstar.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Ok so I'm a big fan of Yao the person. How can you not lke a guy that carries himself the way he does, is about family and hardwork?

I root like hell for Yao the player. How can you not appreciate a guy that stays quiet but probably works as hard as anyone in the league? Yao is about team success and in today's league that's pretty rare. Let's be realistic here though, this may very well be it for Yao. I want the guy to succeed, not only for him but for the Rocket orginization. A healthy Yao is very important to this year. I'm trying to stay on an even keel with this whole thing, most people are either dead set on saying he's done or hey he's gonna be back better than ever! I'm hoping for the latter, but not expecting it.

Op you may have said one thing that turns out to be true. "this is truly the year of the Yao" yeah maybe so, but in what context? Is this the year Yao finds health and helps lead the Rockets to a deep run in the playoffs? Or is this the year Yao breaks down for the final time and says goodbye?

19. bloop

bloop Member

Yo I agree with OP.

Yao is 30, he has many years ahead of him and if we manage his minutes there's no reason he cant be dominant

Screw you haters. I'll be laughing my ass off in the Spring when you are eating your assumptions

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He can be dominant, but I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself. He may not be able to come back to form this season like you'd expect. It might be the year after if his foot is completely healed.