1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Best (and Worst) Cities for Summer Travel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 30, 2010.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The Best (and Worst) Cities for Summer Travel

By Joshua Pramis

As many travelers know, choosing the right summer destination is essential—and for some, that ideal spot is a city. So what makes a great urban getaway in June, July, and August?

Looking at the results of Travel + Leisure’s annual America’s Favorite Cities survey, we found that the recipe is simple:

•Good weather: It’s no surprise that some of the hottest cities in the summer ranked the lowest.

•Family-friendliness: With the kids home June through August, cities with offerings for the whole clan fared best.

•Great parks and easy access to the outdoors: Out of the 10 cities voted the best for summer travel, 8 also landed in the Top 10 for parks.

•Fantastic farmers’ markets: Simple pleasures make a difference; great local produce and purveyors helped sway opinions.

Read on to see how your favorite city fared.

The Best

#1 Portland

No. 1 for summer travel, eco-friendly Portland also grabbed the No. 1 spot for its parks and No. 2 for its farmers’ markets.

When Not to Go: Winter/Christmastime is when most respondents avoid this Oregon city. Unlike NYC with its tree lighting, Portland doesn’t offer much incentive for visitors to bear the damp cold.

Average Summer Temp: 66 degrees

#2 Denver

Despite a sub-par offering of farmers’ markets, Denver’s great parks and family appeal may have helped hoist the Colorado city up to the No. 2 spot.

When Not to Go: Thanksgiving seems to be the low point for this ski town. Perhaps the slopes are too hard to conquer with a food coma?

Average Summer Temp: 71 degrees.

#3 Seattle

Voted best for farmers’ markets and No. 4 for its parks, the Emerald City’s moderate summer weather also likely played a role in its No. 3 spot.

When Not to Go: It landed dead last in both Thanksgiving and winter/Christmas travel—not shocking considering those are the rainiest months.

Average Summer Temp: 64 degrees.

#4 San Diego

Sure, its farmers’ markets are okay at best, but the city welcomes families with open parks and, according to the survey, the best weather of any U.S. city—the perfect combo for a summer getaway.

When Not to Go: Almost never—the lowest placement that America’s Finest City received was No. 12 (for Thanksgiving travel). Not too shabby.

Average Summer Temp: 70 degrees

#5 Minneapolis/St. Paul

The Twin Cities received favorable marks across the board, helping make it the No. 5 city for summer travel.

When Not to Go: While folks may think twice about a Miami spring break trip because it’s too crazy, they probably avoid one here because it’s just too dull.

Average Summer Temp: 71 degrees.

The Worst

#1 Phoenix/Scottsdale

The lack of places for family fun, farmers’ markets, and decent parks gave little incentive for folks to withstand the intense summer desert heat.

Why to Go Anyway: Head to this Arizona city for a relaxing, all-inclusive getaway…preferably somewhere with a big pool.

Average Summer Temp: 91 degrees.

#2 Dallas/Fort Worth

It’s odd that a destination known for BBQ—hugely popular in the summer—ranked so low for summer travel. Maybe if there were more parks to encourage family get-togethers, the score would improve.

Why to Go Anyway: If you have the urge to splurge on a luxury shopping excursion—hello air-conditioning!—book a trip here.

Average Summer Temp: 83 degrees.

#3 Atlanta

“Hotlanta” seems to be too hot for many people to stomach in the summer without the incentive of better parks, farmers’ markets, or something for the kids to do.

Why to Go Anyway: Wheeling and dealing—indoors, please—at one of the city’s top-ranked business hotels.

Average Summer Temp: 79 degrees.

#4 Houston

It has just so-so rankings for Mom, Dad, and the kids, fresh local produce, and parks, which may be why it ranked no-no as a summer hot spot.

Why to Go Anyway: An affordable vacation chock-full of cultural events. (Temperature-controlled museums are nice and cool, right?)

Average Summer Temp: 83 degrees.

#5 New Orleans

Despite its No. 3 score for farmers’ markets, the Big Easy didn’t get much summer lovin’ from survey-takers. Maybe it’s because come summer, the city transforms into a steamy swamp.

Why to Go Anyway: Take off for lively Nah’lins when you want to get down with your bad self.

Average Summer Temp: 82 degrees.

See all of the Best Cities for Summer Travel

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-34887215

1 person likes this.
  2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Are we really surprised that major Southern cities rate bad in the summer traveling department ?

But .............a lot of people are moving their whole lives cuz Texas's economy is still doing quite well :grin:

3. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

It's just so freaking humid and hot here in the summer so no surprise.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I call BS, it's not 83 degrees in the summer in Texas, on average...Hotlanta is even hotter then that...

I'm still trying to figure out what i'll be doing this weekend and the end of July...wish the beaches weren't oily...

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more with this. I spent a lot of time in Phoenix 4-5 years ago for work. Growing up in Texas, I thought I had a lot of heat tolerance. It's not enough for Phoenix. The heat is oppressive. It doesn't matter how dry it is when it's 110°F during the day and never drops below 90°F at night.

That being said, it's better than Florida for Spring Training. Most of the teams' parks are within 30 miles of Phoenix.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Who the hell goes on travel to go to farmers' markets? So you can eat vegetables raw because you don't have a kitchen in your hotel?

I mean, I like a good farmers' market as much as the next guy, but it's pretty low in my trip decision process.

7. GRENDEL

[​IMG]

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

god damn guess where i am headed this weekend?

Thats right the #1 worst place

ugh i wish you posted this before I made plans GRENDAL!

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

true dat.

still, portland, denver, seattle...great places to visit in the summer.

10. GRENDEL

[​IMG] :cool:

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I should say that, based on my recommendation, my parents and grandmother are leaving for Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver (but not Whistler for some reason) this weekend.

And I'm going to stop in Denver on my way to Calgary (in probably 2 weeks).

<----- This guy's a great vacation planner.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my vote would be NYC or Chicago in the summertime.

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm a big big fan of the PNW, but no way I put Seattle or Portland ahead of New York, Chicago, San Fran or DC if I'm looking for an urban holiday. (add Miami and Honolulu for other reasons). No matter how many farmers markets they may have or how close they are to parks.

Not that they aren't great places to go.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I love Vancouver. A great combo of urban and outdoor life.

I may not make my annual trip this year though. :(

15. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

My wife is a chef, so we will hit farmer's markets to pick up stuff for picnics and have a nice outdoor meal at a scenic park.

One of my best travel memories was at a farmer's market in France (St. Maximin, near Nice). We had perused the market for a bit and stumbled on a fromagerie (cheese shop). Once the guy realized we were Americans, he busted out his English and told us how he had lived in New York for a while. He then explained that cheese was what he did for a living, but his true passion was poetry. The guy then proceeded to recite love poetry in French and English for us. It was pretty cool, especially since it was our 4th wedding anniversary.

Still, I'd rate farmer's markets as a pretty low criteria for ranking cities to visit. It does rock living in Seattle with the abundance of markets to hit.

You can't go wrong with the PNW. Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver are all great places to visit in the summer.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I get the feeling the author bases his vacations around farmers markets.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

So I read the linked article. (no world cup to keep me busy this morn :().

Of the 30 cities rated:

NYC came in 25th because it's a snoozefest in the summer (compared to Portland???).

DC was ranked just below Kansas City and Cleveland.

Austin at 24/30; San Antonio at 22/30. No Texas love here.

Miami was 23rd due to not enough parks. Huh?

Different strokes I suppose...

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah what a weird article. the farmers market in portland must be a site to see.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

They are. So is the outdoor restaurant/catering biz. But still, what a dumb criteria for judging.

20. Prince

Prince Member

Best examplle for the the term - No Brainer.