1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The BCS and where it goes from here.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Trackwell, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

My concern for Texas Tech

I have been predicting the series of events in the Big 12 for the last few weeks. I have been telling many people that the BCS will fail again this year, and it will come down to the BIG 12.

What has happened:

OU destroyed Tech! Becuase of this, there is a three way tie at the top of the BIG 12 south with Texas, Texas Tech and OU.

The AP polll this morning indicates this:

1. Alabama
    2. Flordia
    3. OU
    4. Texas
    5. USC
    6. Penn St.
    7. Texas Tech

What will happen in the next two weeks:

Alabama and Flordia will play in SEC championship and the winner of this game will have the first bid in the BCS championship.

OU will LOSE next week when the travel to Stillwater to play instate rival OSU.

Tech and Texas will both win easily against Baylor and A&M.

What this will mean???

OU will have 2 losses and will drop out of the BCS discussion.

Texas Tech will win the BIG 12 south, becuase they won the heads up match between Texas.

Texas Tech will beat Mizzou in the BIG 12 championship and will finish the season at 12-1

Texas will finish the season a 11-1 and will be number 2 in the polls.

What all this will mean????

Texas will be in the national championship against the winner of the SEC. I have been saying this for weeks and no one will listen. I think this is absurd for a couple of reasons. Texas did not even win thier own conference. Texas lost to the team that won the conference and that team (Tech) also beat them and gave them thier only loss. Tech will have a better record and will be conference champs in the best conference in all of the country. Allthough I think Texas is the 2nd best team in the country, I dont think it will be fair for them to go the BCS championship game over Texas Tech WHEN Tech wins the BIG 12. This is just my opinion and I am predicting things ofcourse, but this is how I see it going down. I am a huge Tech fan, I dont't think we are one of the top two teams in the counrty. But I do believe if all of the things that I predicted happen, I feel that we deserve to go over Texas. People night say that Penn St or USC will jump into the question, but they won't becuase of how weak thier schedules and confrences have been. This thing is going to come down to the BIG 12 and the SEC. ( which it should) You would think that the champs of each of them would be the easy answer to this dilema, but ti won't go dwon like that. Texas will go and Tech will be sent elsewhere. Wait and see my Friends.... :cool:

Your thoughts

Predcition:

BCS Championship

Texas 31 Alabama 17

2. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

My thoughts? Texas Tech is not a Houston team. Delete thread and ban user.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Could you at least wait till they finish their last 2 games before you start your "whaaa" fest?

4. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Ban user?? Are you kidding me?

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I am not crying about the situation, I just think this is the way it will go down. I think Texas is one of the top two teams in the country. I just wish there was a playoff :confused:

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Didn't they put a rule after neb game saying you have to win your conference to go to the championship game?

7. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

If they did, I didn't know about it. I hope you are right. That is the way it should be

8. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Im not won to bash others on here, but I would be upset to if I was bragging about C USA :rolleyes:

9. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

10. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

This was the wrong forum guys. sorry

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If Tech goes to the conference title game with one loss and win, only to get bypassed for the NC game by a team they beat...it would seem as though Tech would have a legitimate b****.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It is a BS argument. It assumes that the BCS formula actually is a good determination of who the best teams are. That is not a safe assumption. Also, it completely ignores the fallacy of saying that you are the best team in the country when you aren't the best team in your conference.

The whole stinking thing is silly.

13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

This is the internet. Everything is serious! Delete and ban from internet as well.

14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Thank you. I don't really know how it should be done, I just know that every other year there is a couple of teams that get snubbed and they didn't even lose a football game. This is the only sport in America where we don't have a true champion every year. I wish we had a 16 or 8 team playoff. Man that would be fun.

15. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

agreed

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

This is a pretty gigantic assumption.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

All I want to happen is the following...

OSU beats OU.
    Missouri beats Tech in the Big 12 Champ game.
    (This ensures both OSU and MU stay in top 14)

Oregon St. to lose to Oregon, so USC takes official Pac-10 BCS bid.

Either Florida lose to Florida St. or Alabama lose to Auburn, and the team that lost that game to get blown out in the SEC Champ game.
    (drops one of these teams out of top 14)

Georgia to lose to Georgia Tech (drops Georgia out of top 14).

What does this accomplish?

Your top 14 would then likely include (not necessarily in this order)

1) Florida/Alabama winner

2,3,4,5,6) Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Missouri, OSU

7, 8)Penn St. & Ohio St.

9) USC

10, 11, 12, 13) Utah, Boise, Ball, TCU

14) Cincinnati or G. Tech.

Result is that we get two of those four non-BCS teams in one of the games. I just love chaos....

18. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

You're dropping the Fla./Ala. loser out of the top 14?

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Read what I did in the scenario, either Florida or Alabama would have lost the game previous to the game between them. so the Florida/Alabama loser would have 2 losses. If either team is beat by an unranked team (Auburn) or a shaky ACC team (FSU) and then was blown out of the SEC champ game I seriously doubt they would still be ranked in the top 14.

20. Major

Major Member

The problem with this is that the conference championship is based on conference games; the national championship is based on the entire season. Tech ensured they couldn't be in the national title game with 1 loss because of their horrible non-conference schedule with 2 1-AA teams in the mix.

So it would make sense for Tech to have the shot to win the conference title but Texas would have the better resume for the national title game. This is the incentive for teams to not play Eastern Washington and UMass in their non-conf slate. It sucks for Tech, but I think it's a good thing for college football fans.