1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Battle of Berkeley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Apr 15, 2017.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

It scares me that people like you exist in this country.

dachuda86 likes this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's because you're too stupid to know what's important. You're more concerned with idiots trying to rile up a bunch of college kids with hate speech while the buffoon you voted for crumbles government and shreds health care for the betterment of corporations and millionaires. You are the epitome of the useful idiot.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

In 2017 I'm being told by a lefty that the 1st amendment is not important. This is terrifying.

dachuda86 likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not been a liberal position at all. You clearly don't know history. Censorship and restriction of expression has been the domain of conservatives

1. Flag burning
    2. Nude Art (e.g. Mapplethorpe)
    3. Poop on Jesus Images
    4. The gag rule.

Liberals believe in conservatives right to speak. (That said, anyone should be against outright fake news). Anyone who advocates the use of violence to prevent someone from feeling safe to speak is a criminal. It's a form of intimidation and therefore terrorism since it is politically motivated. They should be locked up.

That said, all of this is a red herring. I doubt it's liberals even organizing these "riots". Protesting conservative viewpoints is not censorship - it is freedom of speech and it's perfectly fine to protest a speaker. But to say they shouldn't speak is wrong.

Who is causing this violence? I see a lot of vagueness here. Who are these liberals? Every liberal I know is pretty disgusted by the violence. And you have to wonder if all of this isn't some manufactured issue by people trying to get ratings for their sad TV shows now that there isn't an Obama or Clinton to attack.

5. CometsWin

I'm just going to respond on your level.

I'm being told by a useful idiot that dying because you have no health care coverage is not important. That is terrifying. Derp.

#245 CometsWin, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Interesting (From NPR http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ech-cancellation-protesters-rally-at-berkeley):

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yup - this is another manufactured controversy by the right. They realize the truth doesn't work for them to get those rating points so they resort to what is basically fake news.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Where were you on the first Amendment when Trump himself was attacking it. Threatening libel laws, threatening CNN with ATT merger, fixing media questioning his first few weeks in office, banning media outlets for press briefings, and defining the media as "the enemy of the American people"?

Unlike the couple pimple faced protestors at Berkeley making the campus worry about protests getting out of control, Trump has the power to actually attack our rights to free speech and especially a free press with his awesome power of the executive branch.

Not only are you likely all of the above of what other posters have accused you of, more importantly you are most certainly a hypocrite.

(who is a fanboy of an aspiring authoritarian and likely one of the 40% of republicans who was polled as having a favorable opinion of Putin)

#249 dobro1229, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You bring up health care is great defection. We know your kind hates free speech.

dachuda86 likes this.
  11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Is Trump prepping up a militant group to attack liberal events? Come on man you know and I know this is a false equivalency

12. CometsWin

The fact is this thread is your deflection from Trump's daily disasters. And this thread isn't about free speech, it's about scumbag provocateurs like you who want to provoke immature college kids to generate fake outrage as Trump attacks the media that exposes his constant lying which is a legitimate 1st amendment issue.

It's all boring and stupid but par for the course with you trolls. We know your kind can't handle the real world. At least the Berkley kids show up in person to kick your asses instead of trolling innocent people on Twitter like the fake tough guys you are. I don't agree with them but at least they're not p*****s like you guys.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm liberal and most leftists treat me as though I'm alt right. This is how out of touch they are with reality. The progressive neo liberal movements have done more damage to liberal values than the right could have dreamed of.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Ironic coming from you...

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How so? Do you have multiple specific examples?

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't been posting much due to work and several other things taking up my time but as someone with a personal interest in this topic wanted to share what I posted about on this yesterday on my FB page and also to Cal Alumni.

As a proud Cal Alumni weighing in on the recent controversy regarding Ann Coulter's cancelled speech. First off to call out the university as a "thuggish institution" fails to note that the University never stopped her ability to speak at Berkeley and even on the campus. The university had said she could speak publicly on Sproul Plaza at anytime. Anyone who has been to Sproul knows that there is no shortage of free speech on Sproul and she could've joined the many others yelling about all sorts of things on Sproul. Further she only finally cancelled only after the student groups that had invited her said they weren't going to pay for her security. If she really feels that she is fighting a principled and necessary fight for free speech covering her own security costs should be a small sacrifice. This is also failing to note that both UCPD and Berkeley PD were prepared to provide extra protection for both her supporters and others in the event of a public speech at Sproul or somewhere else in the city of Berkeley.

All of this ignores a profound misunderstanding of what free speech is. Yes Cal is a public institution but it also has a duty to provide an environment conducive for education. Coulter and her supporters seem to believe that free speech means she can speak anywhere and at anytime. That isn't true at all. For example I can't simply walk into a classroom at Cal, the University of Minnesota or any public institution and start speaking whatever is on my mind. Ann Coulter's argument and lawsuit is essentially centered on the idea that her rights in regard to free speech are unlimited while the rights of the students and Cal to provide a safe learning environment are limited. Even so Cal still went out of its way to give her a venue. If her criticism was that the timing of the speech was during dead week for students that wished to hear her that is good as they wouldn't have to decide between attending classes or hearing her speech.

I actually believe Coulter knows that free speech isn't you can speak about whatever at anyplace or anytime but is only pushing this cynically to imflame the issue and bolster her own popularity.

Today I'm still proud of my Alma Mater for the difficulties that they face in balancing these issues and am planning on making another donation to Cal. I encourage all other Cal alumni and others to do so too.

Also in regard to those who were threatening violence against Coulter and her supporters. Especially those who call themselves "Anti-Fascists". The hypocrisy of your stance is almost stupefying. Using violence to intimidate and shut down speech that you don't agree is one of the tools of fascism. While Coulter's rhetoric might be hateful and immflamatory by responding to it with violence only shows that you are easily manipulated by such rhetoric. To put it bluntly your actions are not helping the cause that you believe in and only adding to the support of Coulter and others like her.

For as critical as I am about Coulter she is correct that free speech isn't only about what is acceptable to broad society. There is no point to it if all it protects is speech that is mild and inoffensive. That goes for all speech across the whole political spectrum.

18. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

haven't seen a Moldy Locks meme, post or picture recently--sad!

B-Bob likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Unfortunate slip of fingers, comrade! In English, is say "deflection." Crazy language, da!

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]