1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Baffling KJ McDaniels Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wouldn't be stunned if Ariza, TJones, and Pap (and whatever it takes) are offered up for Kevin Love. Or some such type of trade that leaves us needing KJ McDaniels.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if its not a future move then its an automatic loss. canaan already proved himself in the beginning of the season with all the injuries, then gets benched.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

oh i think i know, we wasnt big enough for dwight. i heard thats what he does to all the bench warmers. if you're gonna be a bench warmer dwight's team you're gonna be packing, one way or another. canaan went packing the latter way :(

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I would be stunned that Morey will believe Love + KJ Mcdaniels will give the Rockets a better chance to win next year than Ariza and TJ.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Canaan SHUT-DOWN Tony Parker in our 1st game against them this year. Led to a blowout.

6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Canaan isn't that good(people over rate him) and KJ is a defensive back up which we needed

7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

KJ will be a rotation player on the Rockets in the future I think, maybe coming off the bench... a la Gerald Green?

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

You will see why when we sign and trade for a player to be named this off season......sit back and let morey do his job while you doubt him on the internet. He is also insurance if we loose Brewer.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's not that baffling.

10. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Seems like a lot for a guy who has back issues, along with issues with playing w/ star caliber players. But I'd probably still make that trade.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

- I don't value Canaan much at all. But that 2nd round pick (Denver's 2015 pick, which will be the mid/late 30s) is an asset.

- If what we want is injury insurance for this season, it would seem that there are more game-ready guys who could be even cheaper to attain (given that you don't have to pay for the "upside"). Even when Harden got suspended and when there were injuries that required HOU to play one of the wings at PF, McDaniels wasn't deemed ready to be put on the court.

-If the team thought he was ready to contribute when they made the deal, it would seem that they have realized such an projection was wrong. But it would seem that there were plenty of information that would suggest that KJ wouldn't be ready to step into a playoff team's rotation and really help if needed.

- If the team wanted him as a future asset at all, whether it's to keep or just to just sign and trade him, the team still needs to have the cap room or exception to sign him first. Again, it's hard to see where the Rockets prioritize signing KJ over their other potential moves (most obvious one is the reported interest in signing Llull).

12. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

KJ might not come back with the way his contract is structured, unless Morey really rates him and figures by burying him at the end of the bench he will get him back cheap.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets value having rights to resign McDaniels over a second rounder. If they use exception on Lull then they will call it the cost of doing buisness. However, if Lull doesn't come over or his rights are dealt, the Rockets have options with McDaniels.

14. alin86

alin86 Member

For KJ McDaniels, what is his best choice in summer?
    1. sign a multi-year contract with big guarantee, like at least 3 years 9 mil.
    2. sign a 1-year contract with a team will give him rotation time.(76ers?lol)

For choice one, I really doubt he could get such big guarantee money, if less, like 3 years 6 mil, it's not acceptable due to the big 2016 market.

For choice two, given his restrict player status, any team want to give his offer sheet should at least 3 years, it's not allowed to give him a one year deal.

if both better choice can't be achived, he has to select choice 3, sign one year deal, about 960k with Houston

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Just a deal where Daryl thinks asset received > assets given up.

16. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Well said... The only reason I somewhat disagree is because of the contract situation... Which is why he was made available by philly in the first place. I'd rather have Canaan...

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

After Dwight grabbed his piece and it was all over everywhere I knew Canaan was gone.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The reality is that in order to have max cap space this offseason, then Ariza will be dumped. Having a cheap wing defender to step in is a simple and cheap hedge.

19. Mr. Dominant

Not really man... it's about being valuable and invaluable with the addition of actually being a good wing defender rather than just being a cheap one and "getting the job done". Ariza must not be let go, he is a fruit to the blossoming of our Rockets success, along with Brewer.

Rockets must try to keep Ariza and Brewer at the best of their abilities without giving up too much money.

20. Mr. Dominant

Capela needs to walk around and set picks... dont stand there fella!