1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Backup PG issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Danbury

Danbury Member

Hayes being hurt would be the most manageable situation for the Rockets. Losing Juwan would be a disaster. I think we could stay afloat w/o Mutumbo until Yao gets back. If that were to happen I'm sure management would address the frontcourt needs. Wostcase scenario, Rafer Alston goes down. The guy needs to shoot less, but he is essential. I think everyone can agree that Hornets game was disgusting. If Rafer stays healthy, the Rockets do fine with Luther as a 10mpg PG. If he does go down, anything that can dribble and make a clean pass would be better than what we've got. Management needs to and will do something with the TE and/or Sura, it'll be interesting to see which way they go. Ideally they get both a big man and a backup PG.

2. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

We won't get a new PG this year, not a chance... but next season, I'd bet its almost guaranteed we'll sign one, and another center.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'll agree that if nobody gets hurt or retires, then addressing PG should be the top priority.

But yea, one of our bigs getting hurt, burning out or retiring is a very likely scenario. Given that, we gotta find another big.

So even with Yao, Deke may retire or just get old ...who backs up Yao? We all know Yao can't play big minutes historically so a backup 5 is important. We're all overlooking this point because Deke is currently overacheiving (for how long?) and Juwan is playing better (for how long?).

4. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

I agree, we seem to be good at adressing needs over the offseason. Last year we needed size at the 1 2 and 3 and we land Bonzi, Battier and Snyder. Houston generally does good in the offseason. I dont remember any time recently where we just made a horrible move. The last one I can remember was the Barkley trade. That was just horrible.

5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

JLIII is not the answer once teams figure out that he's not a finisher at the bucket ala rafer. I would love to have Chucky Atkins who would play D also, remember his Pistons days. Plus we all know, if you don't play D you get zero playing time from JVG!!!

My random trade idea:

Rafer, Bonzi, Sura's expiring contract, and MLE for JASON KIDD. Oh baby, world championship, no less than Western Conference Final. It's a wrap

6. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

you're kidding right? Lucas will never be anything more thena back-up at best. Cant shoot...

7. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

He's only like what, 25? He can improve. 40% from the field isn't shabby, just needs more experience. In like 5 years or so he could easily become a decent starting PG. Not a Steve Nash or anything, but definately not the worst PG in the NBA.

8. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

Im hoping v-span will groom into the PG. Rafer will be around for a few more years though.

PG help wont come from the draft....they need a 4/5 bad or a big 2/3.
    Almond from Rice might be available when we draft:D )

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I think there are some pretty cheap options available either via trade or FA.

Lorenzen Wright could probably be had for a draft pick.

He makes $3 mil a year and everyone the Grizz is available for trade

Steven Hunter could also be a serviceable backup at around $3 mil a year (contracts runs out in '10). I'm sure Philly wouldn't mind trading him if they could get a draft pick in return also.

10. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

What about Salim Stoudamire over in ATL. He is rarely used, but he has impressed me int he past. His contract should be pretty manageable.

Chucky Atkins was mentioned before and he would also be a decent pick-up.

I really think that a PF/C is needed with more urgency. We at least have JL3 to back-up Alston. What about if Deke gets hurt????

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

what about jose calderon? he's been ballin ever since tj ford went down. gets the rim a lot and dishes in that toronto offense. the only thing is he cant shoot the three that well. we probably need someone who can spot up shoot in our system

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well im a salim fan (go wildcats) but he i dont know how well he would work on the rockets. between he and JL3, no one would get any shots

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

While I don't want to derail the thread... Chuck and Deke haven't started together, but they have played increased minutes together on the floor in the last couple of games. Which is probably because Juwan was/is struggling with feeling ill. But we actually went on a run with Chuck and Deke on the floor together during the Griz game with Mac on the bench... which was like watching an alternate universe... lol, but I will take it!

Back on topic...

Overall, I am going to say that a back up at the PF/C is still our best bet over a PG backup.

To be honest, a true PG probably won't work in Houston... mainly becuase Tmac is our decision maker. A true PG would want to be (or try to be) that decision maker. Rafer can do both, score and slash and he's really fast. If we can keep "Speedy Gonzales" JL3 from shooting every time he touches the ball (which I think is possible) and get "the Greek Streak" Vspan to acclimate himself to the NBA(and JVG to play him at the PG in the future) we should be fine at the PG position.

Ideally we could get both a veteran PG and a back PF/C! :) But its unlikely to happen.

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

is there any way we can get mo williams??? i know he's shoot first, but he'd be instant offense off the bench....Milwaukee wont let him go though.... :rolleyes:

15. hotballa

if Mo was here, he would be starting, and Rafe would be coming off the bench.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts on some of the names mentioned...

I don't mind Dickau, and he'd be relatively easy to acquire, but the guy is literally one of the worst defenders in the NBA. He's really awful on that end of the court. I just can't see JVG wanting him on the team.

Salim Stoudamire is a 2-guard, really. Fantastic shooter, but not the steady hand we'd be looking for.

Mo Williams is interesting. He's a guy we may look at in the offseason. He's a free agent, but given the season he's gonna be coming off of, he may price himself out for our purposes. I have no idea if Milwaukee sees him in their future, or may look to parlay him into picks or what not to avoid losing him for nothing.

Atkins is also a free agent, and probably fairly close to what we would want out of the position, but it's a matter of what Memphis would want. Given what they seemed to be asking for Pau, my guess is they're still asking for a first round pick or more for a half season rental of a marginal PG. Not worth that kind of cost.

17. hotballa

Dickau's main weaknesses in defense is 1-on-1 defending which he is probably worse than my grandfather at. However, I think our team defense is good enough to cover for him. Plus, he is very easily "getable".

Mo Williams would be the starter on the Rox IMO.

I think Atkins could work also, but I'd rather pick him up in the offseason.

18. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

JVG doesn't seem to want Vspan to be PG. Every time he's played him he's always been the 2 gaurd. Always. He needs to improve his shot too. I dont care about his "I'm not a spot shooter" bs. If you want to play in the league as a gaurd, you need to be able to shoot from the outside.

19. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i wouldnt be the worse thing to play billy at point here and ther,say we are up by 14,play him a little,diddo for novak,with juwan and tmac out there, the game wont slip from us.

20. Matador

Matador Member

I think Lucas can be effective in a limited back-up role.

Anyone interested in any of the NBDLers for insurance:

Will Conroy: averaging 15.8 points, 10.3 asts, 5.4 rebs, 4 turnovers, .346 3 pt
    Randy Livingston (former Rocket): 11 ppg, 9.4 apg, 3.21 to, .302 3 pt