1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] The Rockets Exodus

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Feb 11, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Fire Tilman.

https://theathletic.com/3124556/202...n-getting-what-the-beard-wants-nicks-and-all/

For reasons that no one could fully understand at the time, all of the people who were most important to Harden in Houston were heading for the exits. Coach Mike D’Antoni had left in dramatic form the month before, leaking a statement about his choice while the team was flying back from the Orlando bubble, where they’d fallen flat against the Lakers in the first round of the playoffs.

Then came Morey, who cited family reasons at the time but landed in Philadelphia as the president of basketball operations just weeks later. Harden would force his way to Brooklyn two months after that, when sources say Fertitta let him choose between the Sixers and the Nets and Harden unwittingly unleashed NBA chaos by opting for the latter.

Ben Simmons, of course, believed at the time that he was about to be traded from the Sixers to the Rockets and was even shopping for homes in the Houston area in anticipation of his move. His anger over the deal falling through had everything to do with his choice to sit out most of this season. But back to the Rockets’ exodus.

Tad Brown, the Rockets longtime CEO and close friend of Harden, resigned after the season and landed with …the Sixers (and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils) as the CEO of Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment. The league-wide dot-connecting commenced from there.

But in that moment, when Fertitta and I got sideways on the call, D’Antoni was the focus of the discussion. We’d written about this sensitive situation at length in The Athletic, explaining how D’Antoni’s frustration with Fertitta had everything to do with his decision to leave, and so I asked a question about the impact D’Antoni’s choice might have had on Morey’s decision to follow him out the door.

“That didn’t affect my decision at all,” Morey said plainly.

Iko starts a new question for Morey, but Fertitta interrupts.

“You know, first, first off, I don’t know what happened,” he said, exasperated. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I think you’re the only person who wrote an article and made something of something that wasn’t.”

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Tallman Frittatta's ego keeps getting in the way. As an NBA owner, the most important thing is to shut up, listen to those who are qualified to do their jobs, and spend money to get us a chip. Gotta spend money to make money, after all.

He's no Steve Ballmer, but thankfully neither is he Vivek Ranadive, the biggest clown in professional basketball right now. He also seems to be far more respectful of Rockets vets than someone like Jim Dolan, so that's another plus (ew) for him.

The negatives are...everything else that we keep harping on, and we harp more than a newly-winged angel.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I do find it interesting that, when people discuss Simmons, they only bring up how the season ended when talking about his decision to sit out. No one ever brings up the fact that the Sixers basically told him they were trading him mid-season, then didn't.

Deckard, B-Bob, topfive and 8 others like this.
  4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I guess this is the way his generation handles things. Robert Horry handled it a little differently when Sean Elliot failed his physical.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So much THIS. ^

D-rock likes this.
  6. futilman

futilman Member

Oh he’s not Vivek? Based on what? Vivek passed on Luka without giving Luka a proper evaluation. We did the EXACT SAME THING with Mobley. He forced out Chris Paul in a move that single handedly decimated the franchise. He pushed out the best GM in the league. All of these mistakes are compounding (ex: morey would’ve taken Mobley).

Give it time, sir. We might have far worse that Vivek. We might have Cal McNair with his son Patrick playing the role of Jack Easterby.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Fertitta has ruined this franchise in record time. Ughhh

BMoney, awc713, eliefor3 and 3 others like this.
  8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

is that really the end of the relevant material? why post half the article

Richie_Rich and harold bingo like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the Sabonis deal wasn't a bad move at all for them. Should have been a win win in the end for both parties.

D-rock and Roomba like this.
  10. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

God, I hope not. I still have a modicum of hope left. Vivek is the single most clueless owner I've ever seen (with his Nik Rocks schtick and his ideas of playing 4-on-5 basketball) when a non-basketball playing owner thinks that he knows more than his staff, bad stuff happens. Honestly Tilman has shown some of those bad traits already. I can only hope he doesn't go full Ranadive. Never go full Ranadive.

futilman and D-rock like this.
  11. alethios

alethios Member

The only players Fertitta really cares about are Luxury Tax Savings and Cash Considerations. All others are chattel for his amusement.

Richie_Rich, B-Bob, BMoney and 8 others like this.
  12. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I actually do like the Kings and feel sorry for their fans, so I certainly hope it works out for them. I think Ranadive irks me also for how he carries himself and his general smugness. It makes him easy to dislike.

..sort of like one Tailman Fartittys

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Beautiful post.

kjayp, Rocket River and Scarface like this.
  14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nothing we didn't know already about Tilfart Fertits.

alethios likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow, I'm personally shocked by this.

I could've never connected the dots of D'Antoni, Morey, Brown and Harden all leaving for sudden secretive reasons and all ending up in the northeast to Tilman completing the transformation from a 65 win team to a 17 win team in record time.

I assumed everyone would've been happy to have their legacies attached to that!

Thank God we have this feckless owner's family muralized at the Toyota Center, amirite? The reason I buy sports tickets is to celebrate some irrelevant teenagers with a rich dad.

Rashmon, Rocket River, Nook and 3 others like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Out of a cannon preferably.

But strapped to a giant flaming arrow works too.

jiggyfly, clos4life, alethios and 2 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

And for all that, Vivek did not destroy a 65 win team overnight like Tilly has.

Abandon all hope.

BMoney and jiggyfly like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hell, no. This franchise isn't worse than the Kings. The kings haven't made the playoffs in years and passed up a generational talent in Luka, even though the Kings had big connections to him the whole time(yes, I get the irony with Mobley and Green but Mobley isn't Luka)

I will give you the Mcnairs though; F them

Rockets34Legend likes this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Well he knew he was going to be traded... just got two rings as farewell present.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ferntits broke AF.