1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] T-Mac 55th All-Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Dec 1, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The definition of a front runner, and one of the most mentally weak players I have ever seen.

When the going got tough, he quit.

DD

Nook and Rocket River like this.
  2. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

My favorite player of all time. Tracy will always be nostalgic for me and a huge reason why I love basketball so much.

That said, everybody who loved Tracy always wanted him to tap more into his potential.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

He aint lying. He never had any help. Kobe quit when he had no help. Then the Lakers pout like a child and the rest of the NBA comes running to give them All Star help to make baby happy again. Unfortunately for T-Mac, he didn't play for any media darling teams in his prime. Harden quit and people say he had no help-KD/Russ+Dwight+CP3+Russ+KD/Kyrie. LeBron quit on the Cavs and then quit on the Heat and then quit on the Cavs and he'll quit on the Lakers, but he keeps getting HOF talent to join. Hakeem quit in 92 before changing his mind, but he quit and demanded a trade. Russ quit on us after 1 season where we did something completely insane and radical just to help him succeed. Mad Max QUIT on us.

T-Mac runs his mouth a lot. Always has. It's annoying... but he's right about never having had the help that nearly every other HOF player has had. All these guys had multiple HOF level talent in their prime as teammates. Yao was all T-Mac had, but he conveniently left out the the part where he himself was also in and out like Yao-but i'll give him a pass because he had to soldier on without Yao in the playoffs which is the most important part. The back problems did start in his last year in Orlando when quit on Orlando after doing all he could carrying major bums.
    It's crazy to think about, but t-mac only had like 5 amazing seasons and 1 good season and like 1 nice role player season in Toronto. That's a blink of an eye for career especially when players are putting in 2 decades worth of work now. Makes me angry. With health, he should have aged gracefully because he had awesome IQ and a strong back to the basket game and he should have been a Rocket for 12+ years.

And it's also crazy to think about how badly we matched up against Dallas and Utah. That's just the con of having Yao unfortunately. Love him to death, but Utah loss was on Yao. He didn't even get to suit up for the 2nd Utah loss. Dallas loss was on JVG.

T-Mac did all he could for us and for Orlando fans.

#23 Caesar, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    txppratt and Rashmon like this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He fulfilled the role of Quitten quite well.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

You know what? I aint done. You clowns realize and fully buy into the conspiracy theory that the NBA and media hates the Rockets. I agree. I still remember Rick Bucher's stupid ****ing face on national tv giving an on court interview and i forget who he was talking to, but they were praising the Rockets and Rick in a shocked and disgusted high pitch voice said "You're a Rockets fan?!?" Never in my life had i seen a member of national tv broadcast team openly root against a team. I still remember NBA 2k's Houston Rockets home court intro. On the Jumbotron, the highlight that played over and over was Steph crossing Yao and the big fella falling on his ass. That was our homecourt highlight.

Of course there's tons and tons of examples of what the media thinks of us + all the ref stuff(Dallas series and Cuban complaints to the NBA about illegal screens shifting the calls in Dallas favor). All that said. Rockets fans disgust me. **** yall man. All the **** our star players have going against them and we just hate on every one of them we get. Just like MJ ruined it for Kobe and Bron and any other future goat contender. On a smaller scale, Hakeem ruined it for all future Rockets stars. Hakeem shoved his giant thigh slapper of a dick down New Yorks beloved media darling's collective throats so hard and deep that the entire media hates the Rockets to this day. They will never forget. They are still coughing up Rockets red from their guts. Show some ****ing respect for our former and future star players. Being a Rocket is not the same as being a Laker or a Heat or a Mav, etc. Our star will have the NBA world against them. Give him a break ffs.

txppratt and Rashmon like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Forever in infamy

A self-aware leader would say:
    "The team needs more ____ and _____ and it's my job to help communicate and build us towards that."

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Come one man!! Wow ha

Jontro likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

Left Block Problem 74 and Nook like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Amazing basketball talent, but very little ambition and zero self-awareness. Makes me sad to think about it.

Also, not exactly bright:

"My career was sputtering until I did a 360 and got headed in the right direction."

"I've always used basketball as an escape goat."

steddinotayto likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Up there with Stephon Marbury and his aura/aroma snafu lol

topfive likes this.
  11. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

I love McGrady. Great player. McGrady helped make that Yao era a lot of fun to watch. Sure, now we know how it ends BUT at the time we didn't know how injuries would affect the duo long term and there was a lot of hope/excitement around, "What are these two going to do in the playoffs". He's not wrong about the all-star thing. The team was nice but underpowered for sure.

I was so hyped when I found out we were getting him back in the day.

Again, didn't end the way anyone wanted but it was a lot of fun.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Tmac probably takes more heat than he deserves, other than the quitting part. He did that. But he was great for a number of years and nobody deserves to shoulder all the blame. But if he had Kobe’s work ethic, he’d probably be top 20 all time.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I screenshot this and sent this to a few friends. Just wanted you to know lol

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bingo

He wiss forever a Scottie Pippen
    Never a MJ

INJURED YAO WAS BETTER WITH ARTEST THAN T-Wack

If you dogged out Harden and praising this clown . . . .. . SMH
    well do you

Rocket River

Patience likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If I did not knew it better, I would say this brings out another side of you.

There was honeymoon, fights, DV issues, divorce and settlement issues.

The whole package but it is up to the individual to stay bitter or move on.

He might be a hot take clown as an analyst but he did not go broke, his weakness is his mouth, however, him saying all that did have no repercussions with team management.

They are still diplomatic with each other.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do think that the NBA do not care about the Rockets and that they hated certain individuals on the Rockets (disliked is more appropriate) for example Morey, I am not sure about CD or Alexander.
    But I doubt the Rockets are the only team in the NBA though in that category.

And I do think the Rockets had a tendency to sabotage themselves after the Hakeem era.

(All that Leslie Alexander, I rather exit in the Playoffs early than be a losing team. - 14th picks 4ever)

TimDuncanDonaut and Patience like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is far less difficult to accept the conspiracy theory than to admit defeat, admit that the organization has been incompetent at times.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

1st season in Houston the Rockets had Vin Baker, Rod Strickland, Dikembe, Charlie Ward, Mike James, David Wesley, Brandin Knight and H-Town Legend Moochie Norris. Most of those guys played like 5 games and were gone.... it also wasn't 1997 or we would of been unstoppable in 2005. We also had Bob Sura and Yao Ming.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Starting 5 most of 05
    Yao
    Juwan Howard - injured before playoffs
    T-Mac
    David Wesley
    Bob Sura

Bench contributors
    Mike James
    Jon Barry
    Scott Padgett
    Ryan Bowen

It probably would have helped T-Mac long term to stay at the 3 like he played most of this season, but with his poor diet and work ethic he was going to break down eventually anyway.