1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) Rafael Stone: 'this is not a job anyone can do perfectly'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 23, 2023.

1. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

What a PR job by the Athletic. A lot of the insight Athletic offers as its premium coverage is just PR.

Stone gives me less confidence than the people handling my soccer team back in Colombia. A team that was relegated 5 years. Absolutely clueless and full of generalities. Kind of like 75% of the middle management on the Corporate world.

I Loled specially hard at the "we have a reputation for being super aggressive" hahah not dude, the organization you thrashed had that reputation, now summer comes and you have to build your own.
    And for the Sengunatics, Jalen only Fans, Porter apologetics and the dwindling population of Jabari island, one of the few clear things he said was how comfortable he was having the same players play a lot next year. So hold onto your butts because it smells like another offseason of cost efficiencies.

Nook, PWR, hajkov and 1 other person like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Contending Teams are aggressive with Free Agents and Recruiting.

Rebuilding Teams are aggressive with scouts looking at prospects everywhere in the country and out of the country.

fryjol7 and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

i have read it all, he said nothing

fryjol7, Nook and J.R. like this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

nobody buying the talk anymore Rafa. Time to put real life actions where your mouth is

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

If they dont fire Silas this summer they arent serious about a damn thing.

TMac'n, joshuaao, Nook and 3 others like this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This dude would have taken Ben Simmons, btw…

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Oh really? Where would be Nash, Diaw, Barbosa and Harden without the great Mike DAntoni? Where would be Kawhi, Manu, Parker without Greg Poppovich? where would be Chuck Hayes without Rick Adelman? of course great coaches elevate players. and vice versa - great players like LeBron or Kobe elevate coaches. But a great coach can take average player and plug him into system to make him look great

beardsanity713 likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

setting up the excuses when it all goes to ****..

if this franchise doesn't get Wemby this summer, we're never going to be relevant this decade.

fryjol7, clos4life and bmelo like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be more like, not renewing his contract?

Didn't he sign a 3-year deal?

I don't think anyone would be so stupid as to keep him, but I'll leap, aflame, flailing and screaming stuntman-style, from that bridge if or when it collapses beneath me.

@RocketsFido

I don't think he can really say much anyway.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ever?

LIke it goes:

Rafael Stone
    Kanye
    Donald Trump?

Damn.

fryjol7, cmlmel77, NewAge and 5 others like this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

we dont need 'anybody'... we need 'somebody'... and its lookin less n less like that body is you.

lol

fryjol7 and txtodd like this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lol… well not quite there but you get my point.

He’s obviously just not someone who has a ton of professional soft skills that people in his position have typically had better training on, and you definitely get a stark reminder that he’s a rookie GM who is trying to fool people into believing he’s Danny Ainge or something. I just wish he’d realize we aren’t stupid… unless as I mentioned he’s really just campaigning to an audience of 1.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/when-are-we-going-to-start-criticizing-rafael-stone.317857/page-25#post-14520653

Shots fired! Shots fired!
    Morey? Harden? Tilman?

Having no veterans was by design. Throw the kids into the deep end, sink or swim!

Nice guy Steve. Great human being. Just don’t ask me about his coaching.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"I've never seen Cap Room score a basket yet though. I've seen old Cap, and his last name is Room, I've yet to see him put a hoop in, haven't seen him block a shot, haven't seen him get a rebound yet. But when Cap Room starts putting up numbers, we should be in great shape." - Rockets Legend™ Kevin McHale

#53 J.R., Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    fryjol7, bmelo, Nook and 2 others like this.
  14. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

OK so it seems like sum have a question for me like, "if I don't want vets or harden, then what is my plan?"

Simple. Lose again next yr and hope and pray we get a top 4 pick in next yrs double draft with high school kids and its top4 protected from okc. If we have the worst record next yr we can accomplish this.

Getting harden or trading nets picks to "win now" is so impatient and short sighted and all it will get us from other fans of other teams is a polite golf clap that we made the playoffs and got booted in the first round with no draft pick to show for it

I'd rather stock up young talent via draft as long as it takes to grow together and build a dynasty. Signing vets ruins that completely. We would win more with vets and never be in the Lottery again, so how would we win a championship with a 36 yr harden and a bunch of kids? Won't happen, those of you that want harden so bad are just content with making the playoffs . Being a contender is a pipedream for yall that are giving up on the draft, and a championship is not even in yalls galaxy of thinking

I want a championship not playoff purgatory every year. It will take yrs for our kids to mature to win a ring but the ride will be worth it and getting vets I believe will only keep us in mediocrity forever. Think Daniel theis, and John Wall. What did that get us?

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The vast majority of prior moves are in direct opposition to this. So has something changed?

16. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not being a smartass. I really want to know because I can't remember. When is the last time there has been a really good free agency period? Stars usually don't make it to free agency. If they move to another team it is usually by trade. I can see being aggressive, but it will have to be via trade. Trades are tough. You lose players. You lose picks. Sometimes you have to take the risks and hope they work out. That what you get benefits the team more than what you gave up.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't really see anything wrong with what he said.

Scarface, Williamson and Y2JT like this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Get headband Harden , get Nick Nurse trade for Siakam and draft wemby then he will have fully done his job

Harden
    Green
    KJ Martin
    Siakam
    Wemby

Y2JT likes this.
  19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Unfortunately for him its also not a job he can do semi decently.

fryjol7 likes this.
  20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Coaching... Silas was hired to coach Harden, not develop teenagers. In his previous job he ran the best offense in the history of the NBA. Let's see what happens this offseason.

Bringing in vets strategically... Clearly, they want a high lottery pick more than they want to develop and mentor players. That said, they've had some vets, but things aren't going to sink in until they really try to win.

Selling the tank... Give me an example of someone successfully selling a tank? Sam Hinkie... LOL. If you can't figure it out on your own, then there isn't really a point to explaining it.

Curating a non-toxic culture... Not sure what this is referring to.

I agree the games are ugly, but bottom line - Win and everyone is happy. Lose and everyone is angry. Fans can't comprehend or accept tanking.

Rashmon likes this.