1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic - Kelly Iko] Rockets Trade Deadline notebook 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 24, 2022.

1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Not sure who here will be alive to see that pick coming through. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say nobody.

BigMaloe, burlesk, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd subtract the 2024 Nets pick if it's Brown instead of Tatum.

saleem, D-rock and Nook like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tom Brady

NewAge, cmlmel77, Patience and 3 others like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Wood and Gordon are complaining, trade them for best offer. Can live with Theis/Tate/Augustin as vets. Opens up minutes for young guys too.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People forget how hard they were playing on defense against a super team. When you are playing that intensely on both ends against historically great offense AND defense - you're game is going to suffer - especially when you are missing the point god who did a lot to create easy shots and stabilize the offense.

If CP3 didn't pull that hammy, that team would have won a ring and today we'd still have Harden and CP3 on this team.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if nobody wants to pony up - i got no problem keeping Ego... I'd want at least a late frp or young talent...

Wall we should be aggressive on - but dont add insult to the injury... id consider the clip deal i saw w Ibaka/Morris/Bledsoe... just to break that albatross contract into smaller pieces...

Whats the market for Wood?

D-rock likes this.
  7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

100% correct and Silas also only knows one way to play and no way to really assess talent and play people to strengths. Silas will not be the coach when this team is capable of actually winning. We have dumb owners but it is obvious that Silas will serve as a cushion for the transition and jettisoned when needed.

Dacamel, D-rock, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is a lot of low balling most likely. Better offers may increase nearer the deadline.

BigMaloe, Dacamel, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Really bad for now most likely.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  10. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hilarious take - Tilman wants a top pick this season , Stone wants a top pick this season … Silas is doing his job in developing young players and winning when he’s allowed … Rockets can’t afford to go on a winning streak…

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Keith Richards

Dacamel, Nook, burlesk and 2 others like this.
  12. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Your post makes no sense. You act like the two things are mutually exclusive. I have argued since the beginning this was a 20 win team because of the makeup. I am not advocating for a win streak and advocated for the tank last season and this season before most. Silas is still an awful coach. Winning teams can have bad coaches see Clap Clap. Bad teams have transition coaches. Look at the Astros. Look at the Texans. Texans always in transition.

13. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team could easily be a bottom / play-in team if the Rockets weren’t actively tanking from the get go… When the Owner and GM been saying tank from before the season started.

Look at standings - Rockets can’t afford another 2-4 game win streak unless teams above them win a few games themselves.

Silas knows this as well - his best chance is Rockets get another top pick combined with the trades made this season / offseason

But yeah goto work and don’t do what your CEO and Hiring Manager wants and let’s see how that works out

14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Again, you don't get it. You can look to last year to see that Silas is a horrible coach with the love of Dipo and Wall and EGo when they were actively trying to win. He doesn't want to teach or develop. These things are obvious win or not.

After the deadline if EGo and Wood are gone watch what happens to that record. Win streak, really? This team is going nowhere coach or not. The Rockets need to develop players and that will happen largely without a coach that has no real connection to them. I am not judging him being a bad coach based on a tanking record, that's preposterous. Of course, I don't want them to win. Its vey possible for the Rockets to go 5-30 the rest of the way or worse. Probably good enough for the 2 or 3 seed unless Magic decide to pull a Wolves stunt from last year.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We can't have guys who are whining behind the scenes. Trade them for the best offer close to the deadline imo.

BelgianRocketsFan and cmlmel77 like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What I would give to trade Daniel Theis for Kelly Goatlynk, boy I tell ya

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen a reference to this in another thread. Where does this come from?

18. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Not many sellers and a playoffs that are wide open, wait till the last second

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think Nook is the insider on this one. (From earlier in this thread)

BigMaloe, luckyman76, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  20. NewAge

NewAge Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!
    The whole MoreyBall abomination is based on looking at stats from a bunch February games against Charlotte and determining that chucking 3s looks good statistically. That's the whole junk pseudoscience right there.

Basketball folks always knew that chucking mindless 3s does NOT work in the playoffs. The intensity is too high as you say. But they were made look like dumb Neanderthals by a bunch of white nerds and management-consultant types who know nothing about hoops.

For the record in that ignominious Game 7 Eric Gordon was 7-10 from 2. That's 70%!!!! He delivered when it mattered: from closer to the basket, the way you're supposed to play in the playoffs.. The game plan was the abomination.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201805280HOU.html

kjayp, gfab-babyboi and saleem like this.