1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) Detroit might pass on Cade and take Jalen Green #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2021.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@HP3

I don’t have nearly enough trust in KPJ to make any decisions based on him regarding any lottery pick or a trade involving young stars.

He has great potential but as of right now he’s an inefficient scorer who can’t play D, has big red flags for off court issues, going into his 3rd NBA season

I don’t view him as a corner stone right now I view him as a late first player with big potential and bust odds

napalm06, Easy, withmustard and 3 others like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm getting to a point where I'm liking Jalen Green so much and I'm clutching to the idea of drafting him so tightly that I'd be mad if the Pistons picked Jalen and stuck us with Cade. He's ours gd it!

(edit: for those of you talking about Shai... he's making 5.5 million this year, but he'll probably want his first max contract immediately. We don't need max guys right now. We're rebuilding. In 2022 he'll probably get the max extension if he's traded for a number 2 pick and that's worth 168 million over 5 years[33.6 M per year].)

#343 don grahamleone, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally I'm not in favor of trading down with OKC or out of the Top 3.

I think long term its more beneficial to draft your star player than acquire him for salary cap reasons and control.

While I like Shai...I think Cade, Green, Mobley, all have a chance at being better than him.

I agree with @HP3 if your young player isn't Luka, Zion, Ja or Tatum, no thanks.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean, it's clear Houston would have preferred to pick Cade before the draft order was decided. While Green has just as high of a ceiling, Cade is a safer bet to be a franchise guy. When I hear these reports, to me that sounds like Detroit trying to signal to Houston that they would open to trading down to #2 - for a cost of course. So now Stone knows Detroit would listen to offers for the top pick but how much is that 'safer bet' worth to Houston? That's the question Detroit is trying to answer with the smoke here.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets have been fixated on Cunningham huh? No surprise there

7. Possum

Possum Member

That’s how I feel about him and Wood. Woods value will never be higher. I would test that value to see what we could get.

if Cade falls to us I would see what Cleveland would offer up to swap. Mobley plus to me depending on what the plus is should be considered. There isn’t that much difference in Cade, green or Mobley. Get the value if it’s there.

8. platypus

platypus Member

I firmly believe if Jalen Green had went to college Cade Cunningham would not be the clear cut number one pick. Detroit would be 50/50 on both versus what they are probably now (80/20)

My point is if they pick Green we get Cade who is equally a good prospect. Honestly we are in a good spot.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

im as big a Green fan as anyone…

but Cade is the clear cut #1.

the game comes instinctually to him in the way it does for Luka or Tatum or Ben Simmons (but with a jump shot and confidence). He obviously doesn’t have Greens explosive athleticism - if you combined he two it would be a generational prospect…

but even without that high level athleticism he’s still plenty athletic, and I think his size probably surprises people.

he can play 1-4 in a pinch. He’s a better defender. A better passer.

I would definitely give up assets to move up to get him… but not a lot. Give them their pick back. If they’re willing to pass on him for Green or Mobley they’re probably willing to just take that it anyway at #1. They can only maximize value by leveraging HOU/CLE against each other, under the auspices they don’t care which of the next two guys they get. Absent a stupid offer which they shouldn’t do anyway… Cleveland can offer up something like #3, Sexton and a future first maybe like top 5 protected (ala what the Mavs gave the Hawks) and I’m not sure we should offer more than that.

there is/should be value to them in getting their pick back though, as it’s current protections basically prevents them from trading any future firsts for a while I believe. And you’d have to assume if they’re passing on Cade it’s for someone specific - either Green or Mobley, not it’s cause “whatever, we’ll take any of them plus any extra assets we can get” as that’s not super competent GM’ing.

but maybe they really like Suggs or Barnes and would be willing to move further back. Idk.

99% they just take Cade. I’ll be happy with Green.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green already saying he's the alpha.

How do you think Wall will react to that?

Wall already ignores Wood even when Wood is unconscious on offense.

We all want Wall to take step back or come off bench but there is no way that Silas will let this happen.

burlesk and HP3 like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

All of this could just be Detroit's smoke screen. They might just pick Green with the #1.

12. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Pistons have full control, if they want Green so bad all they have to do is pick him first. Simple as that.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Honestly, I dont care what Wall wants at this point. He probably wants out. Miami might take a flyer on him or something.

don grahamleone, burlesk and D-rock like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

From the Pistons Forum:

for anyone that wants to read too much into things:

Cade's trainer, who is his cousin and in his very close inner circle, followed both the Pistons and Big Ben on instagram last week, but has now unfollowed both

Could mean anything I guess
    [​IMG]

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, most of CF doesnt care but Silas still cares.

A LOT.

HP3 likes this.