1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Athletic: Bruno Fernando Will Start Over Sengun When He Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sengun, Nov 11, 2022.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We’ll see. Sengun was a ball of fudge 3-4 years ago. His physical attributes have evolved rapidly since then.

36-year-old Al Horford is a major player on a major contender. I think Sengun can 100% be the athlete that 36-year-old Al Horford is, while being a crafty b*stard on defense in his own way. It will take time, no doubt. Will take time for JG and Jabari too.

Verrrrrry slippery to brainiac physical attributes when a guy can just flat out play. A ton of stars have been slept on because GMs were looking for a physical profile, and not real hooping talent. I won’t list them.

#361 RudyTBag, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    clutchdabear, cmoak1982 and Roomba like this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The refs let Horford get away with a lot of stuff that they call on Al-p, and I really don't like that double standard. But then again, as he plays more I'm sure the referees will give him more of the benefit of the doubt, which is kind of ****ed up in and of itself, but that's the NBA.

In my opinion Sengun has more than earned his starting spot, and deserves to be featured in the offense more (though I will say that these last few games have been better). I think Jalen trusts him a lot, and he makes KJ Martin so much more dynamic as well.

3. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

I wouldn’t limit someone’s own potential within my brain. He has the tool that none of the players have in this team, which is called “BBIQ”

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and the quick feet!

a lot quicker than the doubters brains...

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol so simple yet so true...hate to say it but people are just being utterly biased morons...

watching all the games, following nba every season to a T, yet they forgot all the details that could offer them a finer and more flexible understanding...they are 100% challenged at extrapolating....so stuck inside the box and neverending line of rules of thumbs which they made into a holy bible of basketball...despite the rules they worship being changed every couple of years...LOL

@LeDakota

it gotta be emotional, hate or racist based/biased because i saw these same people when it come to other perhaps even more nuanced things exhibit a beautiful 4d understanding in a blink of an eye and no cognitive problems...

LeDakota likes this.
  6. PeppermintCandy

Well, the Rockets could've used Fernando against the Pelicans. They struggled against the size and physicality of NO.
    Silas was even forced to give Boban a few real minutes, and he almost never does that.

SamFisher likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well, they could have also used sengun for 36 minutes or more defensively oriented sengun, well adjusted to playing defense on nba level...last year it was the time do teach it... not now...

too bad silas played him a lot of 6 minutes or 12 minutes games last year....and too bad he cant coach...

people told me silas is good at development and i still see the same issues all the time...

its ok if youre not a high iq coach i can live with that..what i cant live with is when youre just plain dumb and lazy

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get it. It's the reality, and a bad one. I feel that Silas has tunnel vision seeing only one way to make KPJ successful.

It's a small sample size. In the last 3 games, when Sengun played well, KPJ had 11 assists in each game. Last night, when Sengun struggled and fouled out in the 4th quarter, KPJ had 3 assists and 7 turnovers. It's not a proof, but a good illustration of how offense with Sengun actually can make KPJ more successful.

True, Sengun has problems on defense against big front line. You can always play Fernando more with that kind of match up. But most teams don't have big starting front line.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They certainly needed Fernando last night. Not sure it would have stopped the KPJ failfest though

Garuba is fine, much better than expected even, as an energy player off the bench in short bursts against second units.

But closing out games and playing for longer stretches - it just doesn't work (unless he starts risking his 80% 3 point average)

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

We need a defensive minded rim running center. I think that would help our guards out a lot. It’s a need like many others we have on this roster

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Fernando is a dime in a dozen low ceiling big and Sengun and Garuba have clearly improved. We need to focus on these two right now.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. SamFisher

Garuba is as dimey dozeny. No offense (other than 80% 3 point shooting), all energy undersized big? There's a bunch of those in every draft.

Like i said people say "just a lob threat" but that's a really big deal for a guy like Green.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It's hard to get a rhythm in this league when you're constantly being swapped on or off the bench. Ask any NBA player.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this keeps happening Sengun asks to be traded ala KJ next summer.

Plenty of rebuilding teams would start him 30 minutes a night.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Going with a Kelvin Cato big is arguably the quickest way to get to 30-40 wins. Absolutely makes it easier in the short term for teenagers and weak coaches.

Best way to develop our guards though? No. Especially for a guy like Jalen Green who has unlimited off-ball talent. When the roll man gets erased in the playoffs, Kaput!

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Garuba is probably closer to playing playoff minutes than Bruno is at this moment, because of his unique skills on defense. You could put Garuba on GSW or any contender and he would be a pain in the ass at the 5 for 15 minutes a game.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we need a defensive minded coach!

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Fernando is the best PnR big of the 3 but that’s about it.

I think Garuba’s all around defensive and rebounding potential is much higher than Fernando and he’s starting to finally figure out NBA level basketball and how he fits into it. Good switching and post defender qualities. Solid role player potential. And what Fernando bring can be taught to Garuba in time. Fernando’s assets aren’t special.

clutchdabear and Ankara1923 like this.
  19. SamFisher

It's the exact opposite.

Garuba is not growing any taller and not ever going to be a real above the rim player - that's why he's a late first round pick and not a lottery pick

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Even if Bruno starts he’ll likely get significantly fewer minutes than Sengun. Also, I don’t see any way Garuba doesn’t play at least 10-15 mpg.

ApacheWarrior likes this.