1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Athletic: Bruno Fernando Will Start Over Sengun When He Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sengun, Nov 11, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Big proponent of gymnastics. Solid foundational sport.

Y2JT likes this.
  2. maj21

maj21 Member

I highly recommend it for Jabari. My man needs to loosen up a lil

Roomba and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Some flexibility and body control would help a ton

maj21 and Roomba like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree.

Raptors with Siakim, Boucher, Scottie Barnes, Thad Young,, Otto Porter, D Banton, Precious Achewa, Anunby are on the right track.

Where they need 6'5" scoring punch from their guards....we need more mobile length to go with Tari/Jabari.

Will it be Wembayama, Cam Whitmore, Thompson Twin, Dereck Lively, or Kel'el Ware?

Free agent(s)?

maj21 likes this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Who has the other one?!

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dude

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sup?

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is a year for development, not for winning. Lob threat big men are a dime a dozen. No need to develop PnR rim running just to make KPJ look good for now. We need to get the team to play with a special player like Sengun. If it works, it will be a whole lot more potent. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to a guy like Bruno.

Y2JT, clos4life, arno_ed and 3 others like this.
  10. larsv8

Believe it or not, what they are doing makes logical sense and IS more geared toward the future.

KPJ is, for now, the PG of this teams future. They have committed to him with an extension and continue to view him as the future engine of this team. On offense, giving him a roll man, puts him in a better position to succeed, which is the goal, and not to "look good for now". If not KPJ, its very likely that we will have drafted another replacement in Scoot Henderson, Amen Thompson, or Nick Smith Jr. All indications are that with whatever way the next year plays out, this will be a guard generating offense going forward, as it probably should be, especially if we land a premiere PG in the draft. Any of those potential draft picks should have a roll / lob guy as a weapon as well.

And that is just talking offensively. When you look to the future on how this team should be built out, there are serious concerns defensively, with a Sengun / Smith frontcourt. In addition to providing basically no rim protection / deterrence, its a terrible rebounding combination. It simply does not project to a championship caliber frontcourt defensively. Furthermore, It's no secret the Rockets are eying Wembanyama, who would obviously be the 5 if they landed him. They also have are likely eyeing Myles Turner in free agency as a back up plan, who would also be your starting C if that's the route you go. It just makes more sense, both offensively and defensively, to have a rim running / shot blocking / heavy rebounding C as the starter.

Like it or not, Sengun is probably this team's long term sixth man and there is nothing wrong with that. He is getting his minutes and he is getting shots. He likely gets MORE touches off the bench, which should be the goal for him, as opposed to having to fight for touches with our other good offensive players.

People need to abandoned this notion that "He is being punished" or "He deserves to start". That is all nonsense. I reject your premise that this is at the expense of the team, it is quite the opposite.

PeppermintCandy and maj21 like this.
  11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I couldn't read more.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand the thought process behind prioritizing JG’s comfort and development over Sengun’s.

KPJ though? Come on guys. What are we doing here?

clos4life and LeDakota like this.
  13. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Mental gymnastics for defending a very low caliber. You guys get paid by Scooter?

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What you think as logical is in fact very shortsighted. Giving up trying to develop a potentially more powerful offense in order to make KPJ the future PG is not smart. Scoring guards like KPJ isn't hard to find. Rim running big men like Fernando is a dime a dozen. Why use a developmental year to do something you can fairly easily replace in the future?

Besides, there are plenty of data that shows that KPJ is a much better catch and shooter than a playmaker. If they really want to put him in a position to succeed as you claim, they should play him off ball more rather than force him to do a million dribbling and jack up shots he isn't very good at. Offense running through a passer like Sengun actually benefits KPJ.

#354 Easy, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  15. larsv8

I don't even particularly care for KPJ.

I think he is decidedly mediocre.

But there are certainly multiple scenarios where he is the long term PG for this team. That is just reality.

16. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

If this happens, then a lot of Rockets fans are going to tune out completely.

And while JG, Alpi, Jabari and others have been good sports so far... good luck trying to retain them long term if the team keeps prioritizing KPJ as the lead guard.

aaquaa, O-dawg and clos4life like this.
  17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yup. But there are multiple scenarios where Alperen Sengun is the long term C for this team, too.

As flammable as KPJ has been, as deadly inconsistent as he remains (check out the career low TS%), as easily escapable as that TOption contract is, and as much better as Alperen Sengun is as a basketball player at 20-years-old, it is hard for me to imagine a scenario where it is wise to die on the KPJ hill. By and large, in his 4th year in the league his statistical trends are right in line with the entirety of his career. He is and has been for going on 4 years, wildly inefficient and inconsistent. Let’s hope it turns around.

The curious thing about all of this is that giving Sengun the ball more often would benefit KPJ more than anyone on the Rockets.

All of these: Reality. I do think both of them could thrive together If used differently. And Jesus Christ, Kelvin Cato ain’t it.

Easy, clos4life and clutchdabear like this.
  18. larsv8

I don't see very many winning scenarios where Sengun is starting center on this team. While playing a decent front court tonight, he fouled out almost immediately, got no rebounds and contributed basically nothing.

No one is dying on KPJ hill. As I said, even if it isn't KPJ, there could be other PGs in the draft who would take his place. Hell even if KPJ was not on this team, and replacement level PG was running the team, I still think Sengun is better suited off the bench.

maj21 likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I can see a scenario where a top 3 offensive C is a starter on a winning team, especially If the shooting and defense continues to trend up. BUT IF we are going to pluck single games from a guy that was 19 a few months ago, well, we know what kind of analysis we are getting as readers. He has been fantastic this year. Full stop.

---------------------------------

It all comes down to this for me: Does Alperen Sengun have the requisite character to take ownership of his struggles and improve his defense?

“We started good, I think, but the second quarter, we lost our focus,” Rockets center Alperen Sengun said. “I can be better, much better. I’m not doing well, I think. I can do a better job in the defense. I’m going to work a lot on this.”

Call me crazy, but I buy stock on Alperen Sengun. He is that kind of person. Doubt him at your own peril.

20. larsv8

I'll buy Sengun stock as well, hell of a lot more than I would KPJ, but I am also realistic about his limitations.

He is never going to be a good defensive player, especially at a position which is THE most important defensively. He simply doesn't have the tools.