1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Apparantley Rockets Had A Good Offseason, David Aldridge Ranks Houston Rockets #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShook, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's fine. Take JC out of the equation and just address it with KPJ and Green. You want to give up Wood for a third guard?

mikenm268, clos4life and hakeem94 like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lmao. I'm ded.
    What about Moreys Era? Hang some slogans of that.

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Can BKN trade us any more picks because they want to get rid of DJ's contract. We can give them EG to clear up some of that guard log jam while getting some assets back.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

EG makes twice as much and has an extra year on his deal and BKN is supposed to give the rockets picks? sounds like it's supposed to be the other way around

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, I would trade Wood for just about any high upside, cost controlled, team controlled asset, regardless of position.

Williamson and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Trading Wood is dumb he's still fairly young in big man terms and his peak will align with KPJ and Green plus he actually WANTS to be in Houston

7. xaos

xaos Member

I don't know... getting Wood on that complicated trade/great contract, Tate, KMJ, KPJ gave me lots of hope for Stone.

Wood was the perfect move at the time because it allowed us to go any direction (if we kept Harden, traded him for picks, or traded him to compete).

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Reading between the lines:

BrokeTilman gave free Landrys to Aldridge to write a puff piece so that he could sell more tickets?

Nook likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...he's also been hurt VERY often. I like Wood, but you are talking to an entire fan base that lived through the Yao Ming era. I don't think anyone is excited about making roster changes based on an injury prone big any time soon. Wood is good, but he doesn't have anywhere near the upside of a guy like Yao did or even a guy like Embid to put it in current context.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wood isn't a must keep by any means. He's about to be 26. He'll be gone after his deal is done in 22-23' or traded before regardless for whatever value they can get for a player leaving anyway

Nook likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

B- for me.

I wanted all three of Green, Sengun, and Garuba, but wanted to use some of "treasure chest" to move at least one of Wall/Gordon. We got a logjam at the guard spot that may not work itself out for another year.

12. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

Time will tell. I'm pretty deflated.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Idk, would imagine Morey played SOME part in last offseason. For me I wasn't filled with hope last season so I wasn't looking for reasons either. What gives me hope now is the way the draft was handled + the players that were drafted playing well at summer league.

There's no wrong answer, just a sliding scale of when hope renewed. Being wow'd over getting a haul for one of the top 5 players in the league is kinda silly though.

xaos likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why would you got rid of such a precious player?
    hes young and talented...hes an allstar talent...you try to make him give you a discount and sign him for 5 years...even if you extend him to max contract it is ok ...kinda like middleton...he can be a 3rd wheel on a championship team no problem...teams have given maxes to much worse players before and still done pretty good

15. hakeemthagreat

Morey has a few holdovers here

These guys were the same ones ready to fire Stone not even halfway through last season, saying the organization is a "joke". Idiots

Tfor3 likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

That's fair!

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i've mentioned this previously times before. he'll be 28 by the time his deal is done in 2 years. he doesn't fit this teams actual timeline. and will be gone to a better team anyway. The rockets are a stepping stone for Wood because they had a wide open spot for huge starter minutes. He then turns out to be injury prone when given those minutes. He even has yet to prove he actually impacts winning in the long run. Everywhere hes been thus far hes had a losing record when playing. A lot of people assume a player can be this and that on a title team. Doesn't really work that way. again, ill be surprised if he makes it all the way through 2023 in this jersey

#77 YOLO, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    hakeem94 and larsv8 like this.
  18. conquistador#11

Unless you guys have access to the 2030 Sports almanac, what is the obsession with the 'timeline' when a player is still young? Wood's skillset can last til he's 33. The only question is, will he disobey orders and continue to wear those KOBE LOW shoes and get more ankle sprains? If so, that's why you have the next 2 years to observe and evaluate his health.
    If he cannot stay healthy then you let the contract expire. If he makes small improvements to his game, you offer him a new contract. By the time you make that choice Wall, Gordon, House will be gone.

Personally I only think there are 6 players in the league worth True Max value but the NBA has made it that max value is just a reward for being in the league 7 years and scoring 20ppg. One has to adjust their sports capoligist and realize the "max" is just the old $13 million a year contract in 2007
    . http://www.espn.com/nba/salaries/_/year/2007/seasontype/4

One way or the other you're going to be paying ridiculous salaries. The nba has made this mess and 'apparentley' teams are ok with it as they pay guards that do 8pts a game and 5 assists, $9 million dollars.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Didn't say he wouldn't last but my other things also is he'll be gone after his deal is done anyway so I'm taking that into account

I too am in the same boat as far as guys worth true max. There's only a handful of those guys but yeah the money these days are absolutely determined as a reward, timing, and right situation. if you're up for a deal at the right moment, guys can absolutely cash in

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wood is an exciting and intriguing player. His injury history, slight frame and inconsistent defense are real concerns. I want to see how well he plays this season.