1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The astros gave away a hall of famer - for nothing

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Aug 20, 2018.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Martinez was born in Miami. He is as American as I am.

3. The Drake

The Drake Member

Assumed this was a Ramon Laureano thread

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

His Family is Latin, he is Latin, his blood is Latin, I know he is a Citizen, Like Carlos Correa is a Citizen from Puerto Rico but American, Puerto Rico is a State.

5. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Dude barely hit .250 with less than 30 HR's in 3 years with us. Maybe you should study a little history.

MrBear1 likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Puerto Rico is a territory, not a state. The term you are looking for with JD is "Latin American"

Martinez will be this generation's Joe Morgan trade. He'll be an honorary Astro when he's inducted into the HOF LMAO!

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And he speaks perfect English.

leroy likes this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Didn't we win a championship just last year without him?.. Championship>Having Martinez

Hey Now! likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Eh.... cool? There was absolutely no supporting evidence (barring you being in Venezuela between the '13 and '14 seasons and witnessing the transformation). He slugged .378 in 2013, ferchrissakes. If you thought JD Martinez had *anything* to offer...... I mean, based on what?...

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Also, just found this article:

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-release-struggling-outfielder-martinez/c-69870584

Comes back and claims to have fixed his swing and then hits .167 in Spring Training? Sweet story dude.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So should we make a thread for every single all-star or borderline all-star that we lost?

Josh Hader
    J.A. Happ
    Mike Foltynewicz
    J.D. Martinez
    Jed Lowrie

And that's just from this years crop.... I'm pretty sure we're just about average in losing out on players as they were still developing to then grow into becoming stars on other teams.

How's your favorite baseball team doing in this department @what ?

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

18 ABs, dude. Somebody named Adron Chambers got 23. LJ Hoes got 41. Robbie Grossman 50. He was never given a chance. Also, the team lost 92 games. They had ample opportunity to give him a legitimate shot. He wasn't holding anyone down.

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Just be thankful we didn't treat Bregman in the same manner in his initial callup.

14. lnchan

Supporting Member

It was enough to be a reason (not the reason) for Bo Porter to be fired. His winter ball numbers already hinted at improvement. Plus, the Astros had the technology to actually see how the swing changed...

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

He had an OPS of .957 in Venezuela. That's good, but something named Daniel Mayora had .994. Hell, 39 year old Bobby Abreu's OPS was .877. Danny Dorn had as many home runs as JD in that league.

I assure you that every front office has tons of players like JD who come to them in Spring Training and say that they've fixed everything that is wrong with them. If we kept every single player who had a decent Winter league season, we would never get rid of anyone.

16. Major

Major Member

JD Martinez was given 3 years and around 900 at bats before they made any judgments on him. I'm not sure how that's comparable to Bregman ... at all.

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The only reason I didnt like letting him go was because he was clearly TRYING to change his swing. It wasn't paying immediate dividends but he was trying to do something about it. I felt like they could have given him a little more time.

However... I would gladly give him up every time if it means we end up with this team again.

18. lnchan

Supporting Member

Anyways... who wants to talk about Curt Schilling here? And selecting Phil Nevin 1-1...?

19. Major

Major Member

I would hope that the vast majority of failing players are trying to improve.

20. Buck Turgidson

I thought we already did all that?