1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros Aren't the Only Team Interested in Hampy

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Refman, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Refman

Refman Member

We need to step it up or we could lose out.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1102/1454706.html

Mike Hampton didn't enjoy his first stint in New York when he was a starter for the Mets.

Apparently, he might reconsider a move back to the Big Apple if he was wearing pinstripes.

Newsday reported Saturday that the Yankees and Colorado Rockies have held talks regarding a trade for Hampton, citing multiple baseball sources.

Even though the left-hander has a blanket no-trade clause in his contract, his agent said Hampton would waive it to join the Yanks.

"I think it's fair to say that the Yankees would certainly fit under Mike's qualifications of what he'd be looking for if he leaves Colorado," agent Mark Rodgers told Newsday. "He's looking for a team that, on an annual basis, does all it can to win."

Hampton, 30, has a 21-28 record and 5.75 ERA in his two season with the Rockies, but it hasn't been a great relationship since the starter left the Mets after the 2000 season to sign an eight-year, $121 million deal with Colorado.

According to the report, the Rockies have been trying to trade Hampton for over a year, but haven't come close since Colorado will need to pay a big part of the remaining $103.5 million of the pitcher's contract.

If Hampton does indeed leave Colorado, he wouldn't be the first -- the late Darryl Kile and the Mets' Pedro Astacio also left the club.

According to the Newsday report, the Mets, Astros and Rangers also have talked to Colorado about Hampton.

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

I'm hoping we "lose out."

3. Refman

Refman Member

If the Yankees are willing to bring him in they must think he has value. They've been good at evaluating that recently.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

the yankees have a bit more money to play with than we do...they can take those chances...we have so much money locked up in biggio, bagwell and hidalgo, i don't think locking up more of it in a pitcher like hampy is a good idea. maybe i'll be shown to be wrong...but quite frankly, given his contract, i don't think it's worth the risk...

5. Refman

Refman Member

What if we could get the Rockies to take Hidalgo?

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hidalgo's fat contract has 2 guaranteed years left, Hampton's has 6. The key would be to get the Rockies to take Hidalgo AND to get Hampton to tear up his deal and renegotiate. Hampton would have to be awfully unhappy to turn down the 87 million or so that is left on his deal.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

yeah..what he said! :D

8. Refman

Refman Member

The article flat out said that the Rockies would have to eat some of Hampton's salary. Plus, somebody posted on this board that Hampy might be willing to renegotiate in order to join his family since he just moved them back to Houston.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

we'll see...obviously i'm more receptive if he's will to renegotiate...but his contract as i understand it right now is not one i'd hope for the astros to assume

10. BALLhog 247 365

I dont want him back. 2 years ago when he left New York, he didnt consider Houston, because he didnt think they could "win." Now, the Astros made it to the playoffs, and have had over .500 seasons both years, while Colorado has not. I think he is now regreting not coming here, and I want him to keep regretting.

:mad:

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Not so fast, lets not forget about Jeff Weaver. Then again, he's still young and has time to improve.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

Chronicle has a lead story in the sports page about Hampy...says it look pretty doubtful.

It says Williams is likely to be an Astro...

13. bobrek

Actually the article says the following:

"If the Astros play in the free-agent market, in all likelihood they will sign two from the pool of Reynolds, Williams, Gordon and Fox. "

14. xiki

xiki Member

It's not my money, so bring Hampton home.

And a couple of players, too. The Rockies little CF, Perez, for example. And Alfonzo for 3B.

Keep Flash Gordon.

Challenge the Octoberites.

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

but the little chart inside the article goes through each free agent pitcher...next to Williams it says something more definite about him being an astro next year...i don't have the paper in front of me, though.

16. BALLhog 247 365

Fox who?

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Fox Mulder

18. bobrek

Chad Fox. He has been with the Brewers, but injured. He is a reliever and, when healthy has had a couple of good seasons. He had a 1.89 ERA in 66 innings (65 games) for the Brewers in 2001.