1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Arm Pit of America Gets Even More Smelly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by hotballa, Jan 12, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/01/12/ignoring.holidays.ap/index.html

Another day, another insult at veterans. When does it end? And why are so many politicans out there act like they're ashamed that we even have a military in the first place?

2. Major

Major Member

3. crimson_rocket

How do you teach Veteran and Memorial Day when they have aren't in school?

4. hotballa

Yes I read it, I just don't agree with it. The proper reaction should have been to make sure schools follow the law in the first place. How hard can it be to teach about Veterans and Memorial Day when every single basic History class has World War 2 in it?

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Say what?! :confused:

6. crimson_rocket

I meant how do you teach about Veteran's or Memorial Day when the kids have the day off?

7. hotballa

I would assume you could at least mention it when you're teaching World War 2. Something along the lines of "the great sacrifices that our armed forces have made in the past and present need to be remembered and honored, that's why we have Memorial Day and Veterans Day." How simple was that?

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It is simple. It' s not illegal to do so you know.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The law seems stupid. I'm glad they'll be getting rid of it.

10. hotballa

I know the law's not banning the teaching.

It's the symbolic nature of it for me. I would think that you would want to educate kids about why they're not going to school that day.

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So I guess you went to school in NJ? Otherwise, how would you know about the holidays if you didn't go to a school in a state where the observation was mandated?

A different description:

link

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I always thought the Arm Pit of America was the Houston Ship Channel, in the region of Pasadena... known as Stinkadena to the locals. (I grew up in Southeast Houston... Pasadena stinks!)

13. Major

Major Member

But you seem to think its designed to be rude to veterans - the law does this for all sorts of holidays, including Thanksgiving and Arbor Day. What does that have to do with politicians being ashamed of the military?

14. crimson_rocket

I have a sense CNN is making noise about nothing. It's like not the school will start stopping to teach about US history of WWII. It just says it will not require them to teach about Memorial and Veteran's day. Frankly I don't know what you cover to teach about those days. It's not like they're restricted to WWII only. It could be they cover those two days in their history curriculum already. Now if the school isn't teaching about WWII in their history portion, that's another story.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If Pasadena is the armpit, then Baytown is the sweaty a*scrack. A traffic jam on the old Baytown tunnel smelled like a rotten-egg factory. Of course, there are no movie studios, auto factories, high-tech startups or stock exchanges in Houston, so we'll probably make our money refining smelly oil and gas for all eternity.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think it's kind of tragic that kids don't learn anything, at all, ever, about Labor Day. Haymarket Square and 7 year-olds losing fingers trying to unjam factory machinery are as harrowing as some war stories. 40-hour work weeks, creation of the middle class, those are lessons worth learning: pre-Hoffa, of course.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's just ignorant for a country not to embrace it's history, when it prides itself so much in it. Seriously.

At what point are these people just going to turn their backs on the past, acting as if we never struggled and fought for what we have, thus giving us the holidays.

Ignorance.

18. Major

Major Member

It seems more ignorant to think that this bill has anyting do to with not embracing history, turning backs on the past, or acting as if we haven't fought for anything.

It's about the state reducing the number of silly mandates it puts on local schools. Should the state really be micromanaging how the schools operate? Do people have a problem that no law mandating this type of thing exists in most of the other states?