1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Answer: FIRE MOREY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davestrate, Nov 20, 2010.

1. davestrate

davestrate Member

Yes DD i understand that but lets for example look at the lakers or even celtics for that matter, when a player goes down they go out there and add another of better quality and stature.

Lakers lose Bynum get Theo, they lose Theo now they look at ADDING Dampier (clearly an upgrade over Theo Ratliff)

Celtics lose Perkins get Jermaine, they lose Jermaine so they ADDED Shaq
    (key word being ADDED and not necessarily traded for)

In our unfortunate case, Les strives for superiority yet remain under the luxury tax (ADDING salary not being an option, so we're left with trading). So how can we ever hope to become legit contenders if 1) Les Alexander is not willing to put his money where his mouth is 2) If DM cant manage to put together a Legit Team with what he's got (cuz 50-60 million dollars oughta be more than plenty) and 3) Get in his coaches face and come to an agreement regarding PT and rotations.

Unless Im attributing more jobs to a GM than i should, DM should take responsibility for this team or simply step aside for someone to do so. Very smart guy to say the least, yet either too stubborn or moronic at times because how else can you explain our status given the enormous amount of talent on this roster.

2. davestrate

davestrate Member

Wrong thread for guys that love getting on their knees for a man that hasnt produced, not gathered, but PRODUCED

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

This was just tweeted by richardjustice, fwiw:

RT @Jus10Sarabia: @richardjustice I saw you rank the owners, what about your thoughts on the GMs?/// 1. Morey. 2. Morey. 3. Wade 4. Smith

For myself, I think DM is awesome, though we haven't seen what he could do with a very high pick, and he hasn't actually brought us a superstar, so maybe he isn't able to do so. Kind of like Don Nelson - he was great at raising teams to higher levels, but after a while, you noticed that he never seemed to get any good big men.

And, unlike other posters here, I respect the opinions of the Chronicle's sports writers.

4. davestrate

davestrate Member

Not necessarily, we are just accustomed to being average so much that now being below average/borderline mediocre is ok with the fans.

5. pbthunder

It seems the DM-bashers think he has brought us to this team, a team which surely can do at best, a first-round playoff loss this year. I think that no such thing has been proven. I would not be a bit surprised to see this team make it to the 3rd round this year. We have pretty good players and a pretty good coach. Not to be argumentative.

6. davestrate

davestrate Member

FIXED........................ENOUGH SAID

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

tl;dr the entirety of this thread, but...

If we fire Morey, who else can do a better job?

You bench your starting PG, or SG, because the person playing behind has become better.

You don't bench / fire Morey, without someone clearly better to take his spot.

8. alethios

alethios Member

How does this thread make it this far without this?:
    [​IMG]

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahh...i don't know what i love more about this post...being called a Morey basher for daring to suggest he's not Jesus...

or suggesting that this team is on its way to the 3rd round of the playoffs this season.

10. pbthunder

I didn't single anybody out as being a Morey-basher; I merely note that there are a number of them - at this time - on this forum. Obviously I don't think that saying DM is not Jesus qualifies. I don't think he's Jesus, either. I myself suggested that he might not be able to bring us a superstar.

And yes, I think it is within this team to make it to the 3rd round, though not if the playoffs start tomorrow. As for our coach, let's remember that he brought a less-talented team to 22 consecutive wins.

Everyone here that has taken an NBA team to 22 consecutive wins, raise your hands.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why would Les fire Morey? Since Morey is hired by Les, the rockets have been under lux tax line every year. Business is business. Money >>> team's records! It's no reason for Les to fire him.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Dude, the Lakers have two of the top 10 players in the league playing consistently. Citing them as a team overcoming injuries is silly. Also, adults never write "sux" under any circumstances. Stop posting.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Suffice it to say I disagree. The team that I didn't think was a serious contender before the season started now looks to me to be a team that won't make the playoffs.

Last year it took 50 wins to make the playoffs in the West. Let's assume that's what we'll need this year.

We're 3-9. We'll need to go 47-23 the rest of the way to make the playoffs...and that's just to make the 8th seed. I'll be shocked if they do that. You're talking about THIS TEAM playing .670 ball the rest of the way; from here on out. Only two teams did that in the West all of last season. You're expectation is that not only will this team do that...they will then advance to the Conference Finals. Sorry....we're nowhere near that sort of team.

We are in a far deeper hole than most think we are. Of course the season isn't over...but we've dug ourselves a gigantic hole. Much bigger than most here appreciate.

14. pbthunder

As for making the playoffs, your argument is pretty good. .670 x 82 = 55 wins. Not that this is much of a counter-argument, but it is easier to do it over 70 games than 82.

I guess they'd better start winning pretty soon. I still think they're capable, but the odds will be very, very long if they go 3-9 over the next 12 games.

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Morey has been here countless years? I'm curious what your definition of countless is? Are you missing some fingers and toes skewing your ability to count?

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

They weren't just "mean" to Landry. What they did was dirty. They talked about how they wanted him to get his knee checked out before they offered him a deal. Then Charlotte offers him a cheap deal, and they match with no questions asked. Now we hear that they have concerns about Dampier's knee as well. Should we really believe that? We hear there's an agreement but they need to do something with Taylor. Well of course no one wants Taylor (why would they) so now we hear they have a problem with Dampier's knee.

People should be more annoyed with this Dampier situation. You have an agreement with a guy, then suddenly you don't? And there's no explanation for it?

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Our roster when Morey took over was a whole lot better than it is now.

18. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I'm pretty sure Allen Iverson does not have the power to fire Morey.

1 person likes this.
  19. davestrate

davestrate Member

4 is more than plenty for me, im guessing you are shooting for twice that?

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Produce results? You guys just don't a know a good GM when he's there right in your face.

1) Upgrade the roster? See Scola, Brooks, Battier for Juwon Howard, Rafer Alston and Luther Head

2) Draft well? See Brooks, Landry, C-bud, PP

3) Make good trades? Scola trade, NY Knicks trade

You know what the biggest problem of this team is (aside from Rick Adelman's hideous coaching decisions)? Tmac and Yao Ming took up 70% of the cap for years. Obviously if your money is tied down with fake superstars what the hell can you do? Tmac's contract only expired last season, Yao Ming's will only expire THIS season. So its not like DM had free reign on this roster, he'd only been able to affect 30% of the cap at times. And honestly if you look at the job he's done and compared it to other teams its pretty damn amazing.

I'm not sure what MM is angry about. Are you actually mad at DM for collecting assets to enable this team to trade for a superstar? Gien the circumstances, what would you have him done differently then, if he sucks so much? "Trade for a superstar" is something that's easy enough to say, but if even with hindsight you can't point out a single thing which would have resulted in that superstar you wanted I don't know why you're complaining.