1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Answer: FIRE MOREY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davestrate, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I'm as frustrated as anybody here (and I make no secret about that, check my posts)...but we simply have to give DM the benefit of the doubt. I've been right there at the forefront of the movement claiming we should hold him accountable....but don't you (OP and everybody else) think we should give him a little more leeway considering the way things have gone?

Even if this "gather assets and trade" campaign doesn't pan out, the man deserves some more time to turn this all around. He was handed a raw deal in that he literally HAD to build around Yao whether he wanted to or not (but I'm sure he had no problem taking a chance on the Beast from the East for one more season at least).

Bottom line, give the man a chance. He's a savvy, forward thinking GM and I'm quite sure he realizes that the franchise is in a bad way. Let's hold off on demanding his job for just a bit longer. Yeah?

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I hear YaosDirtyStache has some experience in the employment termination field.

3. acjeitherocket

4. davestrate

davestrate Member

He's got all the time in the world because im sure it wont matter to anyone that's relevant what a bunch of "fans" have to say. The only time fans have been considered for anything was for the Bosh recruitment ordeal and the red rowdies (reed rowdies whoop), both times using fans as they have used players to obtain their funcionless merits. So yes we'll give him time, how much worse can this team get?

5. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^^

Well, that really goes without saying...doesn't it?? I don't think anyone here is suggesting the fans have any direct input on the direction of the team and personnel decisions.

But yes, I agree with you. DM will get another shot (or two, or five) at building a winner. Not because the fans have no input, but because Mr. Alexander isn't a knee-jerk fan like we are...he's a BIDNESS man!

Bottom line: DM is a smart man. Period. The guy knows the game and he knows the business. He is absolutely capable of putting together a winning team...I truly believe that. I STILL believe we are lucky to have him.

And again, I've DEFINITELY been on his proverbial ass lately (and rightly so)...but let's give him some time to right the ship. Yeah? Who's to say his plan doesn't work out after all (this season or next)? We DO in fact have a LOT of assets. We're not exactly tied up in the salary department. Right?

DM could STILL blow us away with some kind of amazing move where the most intriguing of our set pieces (Yao, Scola, Martin, AB) would fall into place where they should be: a complimentary role backing a TRUE star/scoring threat.

I mean, damn....if Melo was interested in WINNING and not just playing in New Yawk, DM would look like a genius. As bad as we are, we're still RIGHT there at the brink. Thing is, crossing that line into true competitiveness requires a legit BALLER....and they don't grow on trees.

6. comehere2

comehere2 Member

And the bad coach too. Get rid of Yao. Bye bye, world.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't want the man fired. But I sure as hell would like to know what the plan is.

This is a bottom line business. Everyone has excuses...but ultimately, in pro sports, you're judged by wins and losses. You can call that unfair or whatever else you want...because there are always a million reasons why a team has a winning or losing record. But that's the state of things, nonetheless. This franchise better find a way out this mess soon.

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

still overrating our one dimensional soft players?
    Do you even understand basketball?

9. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

no, Rockets are very far away from that brink. Even with Melo, this is a lottery team. Melo is not much of a leader, not much of a defensive superstar. He wont change the spirit of the team especially if he is only a 0.5-year rental.

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

We need our guys to shake it off. CBud looks like a ghost of his usual self, and CLee is capable of playing a lot better than he's shown. JHill needs to bring more consistent energy, JNoah-style. Everyone needs an attitude adjustment. That will be up to Adelman. He needs to get these guys to buy in and put out. I'm shocked by our unfocused play, and abysmal record, so far.

11. Raven

Raven Member

The plan has been public knowledge for years, but I'll spell it out for those just waking up.

1. Acquire young assets in case a team has to trade their franchise player.

2. Avoid investing too much money in role players or veterans, either of which can be easily replaced.

It is only in number two that Morey has slightly gone off course, but that was mostly beyond his control unless you think we should have let our free agents walk away with nothing in return. Morey can do a lot of things, but change market value isn't one of them.

The problem is that the mob wants Morey to make short sighted trades, just so we can win 45 games instead of 30, which is exactly the sort of reactionary blunder that keeps most teams in a perpetual holding pattern, never getting better, never getting worse.

But the diaper brigade wants Morey to do something, do anything, and do it NOW, and his patience is infuriating them. Too bad.

3 people like this.
  12. herro

herro Member

I want Morey in charge of our draft selections, and hopefully he goes out and gets himself some more. It's come that time in Houston.

13. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

If this was the plan, the Scola, Miller, Lowry signings and the Martin trade are unexplainable. they are not slightly gone off the course. They are completely gone to the opposite.

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

You want to fire him just because he hasn't mad a move 10 games into the season?

15. Raven

Raven Member

As I said in my post, would you have preferred the Rockets let Scola and Lowry walk away for nothing, especially Scola? Miller was overpaid, but not excessively so, and Lowry will come around.

16. makman

makman Member

[​IMG]

wasted time reading the worst thread of the year, you of all people are telling us to be rational......

17. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

You're exactly right. These "assets" are going to start playing like assets.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Hill and Noah are world's apart in terms of bb performance, enthusiasm for the game and IQ. Right now, Hill is a damn scrub, saved for the occasional eye-popping dunks.

19. superchinees

superchinees Member

Firing Morey won't help us at all. He has done a good job putting a team together with lots of talent.
    The players just needs to perform, it doesn't matter if you are a starter or benchwarmer. Play with HEART and EFFORT, try to stay in front of you guy and put a hand in his face. It's not that difficult.........

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

his plan is to get a superstar. i think he's been obvious. we are accumulating assets in the hopes of trading for a superstar. he has failed so far in that department.

i dont' think he should be fired, but it's weird that under morey and adelman, we are becoming softer and softer every year.

trading landry i think was the start to the pathetic softness that we are displaying.