1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The amount of cap room teams will actually have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BarreKellyJr, Jun 8, 2013.

1. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

I ran from a fight once. Came home and my mom said "either u fight him or fight me." I beat da **** out my mother

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not exactly breaking news. If anything, it simply reinforce why the Rockets are trading Robinson. Trade Robinson for no capspace back means $19.7mil, which is basically in the ballpark. Worst case scenario where Howard demands absolute max, Greg Smith gets traded for a future 2nd round pick or we pay someone to take White off our hands.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

A few issues with this though. First, having the Celts AND Garnett agree to this trade, and having Dwight sign with us is already hard enough as it is. Throwing in stipulations like shorter and cheaper contracts are nice things fans and GMs can hope for, but realize there is very little reason why either would want or need to agree to this in this case.

Second, Parsons' contract is up when Lin's and Asik's are, so Dwight's contract being 3 yrs vs. 4 will not really matter. He'd have to sign a 2 yr deal, and that is DEFINITELY not happening (nor would we want such a short deal I imagine). Besides, don't worry about paying Parsons so much -- we have his bird rights and can go over the cap to sign him (say for $10M). We might not even be in luxury tax after paying him $8-10M, just over the cap, which Les has said he is willing to do under the 'right circumstances'.

Third, you can't trade for Garnett first, then sign Howard, then use the MLE. MLE amounts count against the cap unless we renounce them. We will most likely do so when we sign Howard. To move Asik without being sure that Howard will sign with us is kinda tricky -- we do need to move TRob to sign Howard to a max though. Most likely, we move TRob and do something w/ White, then sign Howard, giving us the most leverage to do so. We will then only be left w/ vet mins and the room MLE (around $2M+/2 yrs I believe). That might snag Garcia, and maybe vet min on Dalembert if he agrees and we can do this. Either way, we can try to trade for Garnett after this (maybe Asik + TJones instead) in a safer way.

Fourth, Garnett won't be TOO much of a hassle contract-wise. He has the upcoming season at $12.4M, then $12M the final yr, of which only half is guaranteed should we waive him.

Finally, that's no way to talk about Tim Duncan! :p jk

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's the if Dwight sezso reality. Might that be a condition of signing? If so, and I do suspect it could be, then I would hope DHoHo would accept a 4-yr, opt-out in 3, starting at $18m.

5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

6. basketballholic

Garnett has at best 1 year left. There is no reason to sacrifice a relatively young Asik who probably has another 5-7 years to improve and play at his maximum capacity for a 1-yr rental of Garnett. Asik is worth way more than that.

In my humble opinion, what makes the most sense to clear cap space to sign Dwight is to revamp our power forwards. We need to move out 3 of 4 of TRob/DMo/TJones/Royce White. We need to trade TRob for one of Atlanta's picks or possibly Cleveland's 19 and 30 picks. Then we need to combine those picks along with one of our other power forwards like DMo to move up higher in this draft. Turn 3 of them into one more valuable pick.

The truth is we still don't have the ideal PF that we are looking for. Now if we add Dwight we'll have 2 guys to chew up boards and defend, we need that spread 4 even more. We need Erik Murphy or possibly that kid from Duke Ryan Kelly, somebody that can really stand out there and fire lasers for us and spread the floor for our bigs when they are in the game with Dwight.

As much potential as we think DMO/Tjones/and TRob have....we will not have the minutes to develop all them guys. It's just not there. Besides that we need to stagger our salaries out, stagger out these rookie salaries. I am advocating trading at least 3 of these guys to move up into the top 10 in this draft and get a player that we can add to our rotation and then add a high value second rounder (or two) that we can pick up a legit 6-10 to 7 foot dude that can flat out shoot the ball......right now, that don't have to play for 2 seasons in RGV developing a 3-point shot. We need a developed 3-point shooting big to run out there behind Dwight and Asik and we need that guy ready to shoot the ball now and we need him on a cheap contract. We should be able to get 3 first round draft picks out of DMo/TRob/TJones. That would amount to a very high draft pick in this year's draft.

I say we trade those guys and move up and take Cody Zeller before he gets taken by OKC and then we gotta try to beat them with him and Serge playing together. I don't wanna see that. Gimme Cody Zeller and Erik Murphy or Ryan Kelly to play alongside Dwight and Asik and you've got the makings of a championship big rotation...and you've got the cap space to sign Dwight.

7. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This is why we will trade t.rob/2.1mill/white for a pick... Addi ng the cash and taking a lesser pick in return of taking white...

9. basketballholic

10. basketballrock

fack we need to keep cisco he is better than delfino