1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Amen delusion must stop

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Noob Cake, May 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

If you are low on Green then logically you would have to be low on the Thompson brothers. Green dominated and outgrew that same league by 18.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Can anyone explain why if Thompson brothers were so talented why they didn't opt for Gleague or D1 and stayed in a primarily high school aged league?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

I think the source of the angst about Thompson (side-stepping the angst about falling to #4 ARGHHH) is that we've already got a team that can't shoot and here's another guy who can't shoot.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see why if you are a Jalen Green truther you wouldn't also be a fan of the Thompson twins....Jalen was a poor shooter who was drafted entirely due to freak athleticism.....

Isn't that sort of what the Thompson twins are?

I would think the "flash over substance" crowd would love all 3, no?

Ubiquitin and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

then is it still shocking to you that this same logic isn't applied to a head coach like Silas. Silas has been a scout, assistant coach, player development head coach, you name it at the top level for years and years and yet 99% of fans think they know better and swear he stinks.

You do realize these same draft experts have players rated high ever year and every year there's busts up and down that list. simply putting your eggs into these "experts" and "analysts" really doesn't say much. You have folks like patrick fertitta in the front office of the rockets. he literally isn't any different than a casual fan who knows next to nothing about basketball

#45 YOLO, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Can’t say he was other worldly and finished poorly in the paint. Did shoot his free throws well. Good passing, but nothing spectacular. Defense was great.

xaos and BaselineFade like this.
  7. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

Amen's shooting form is so nasty. He makes Ben Simmons look like Klay Thompson.

8. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

this sounds eeriely like Ben Simmons

amaru likes this.
  9. mightybosstone

Does the same logic necessarily apply here, though? Silas also wasn't ever a head coach until the Rockets took a chance on him, and he was hired to coach a very different roster than the one he ultimately inherited. So he was a first time head coach of a terrible team looking to tank; he was kind of set up to fail regardless of his coaching skill or not. I don't personally think he was a good head coach, but clearly 29 other teams didn't think so either if Houston was his first shot and no one is lining up to hire him right now.

Sure. And every year fans talk trash about prospects they think will be garbage and tout prospects as future superstars who go on to do nothing. But if you were to look at the track record of front offices and analysts versus the average fan, I think we both know who's got the better record in judging talent. There's a reason why generally guys who are drafted higher are more likely to be go on to be Hall of Famers than those guys who are drafted lower. Of course there's players who underperform and overperform their draft spot, but the overall trend line shows that guys who are drafted higher are drafter higher for a reason.

And to your other point, if I thought Patrick Fertitta was the sole decision maker on personnel choices, I'd have a lot bigger worries than just who the Rockets take at No. 4 in this draft.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah it definitely does. regardless of being a head coach or not all his other positions have him well advanced over these average fans you speak of so it definitely applies

11. mightybosstone

To be fair, if Ben Simmons wasn't a mental midget, I'd be OK drafting a player of that caliber with this spot. Peak Simmons was a 17/8/8/2/1 guy who posted well above advanced stats in the regular season, earned three all-star trips, two first-team all-defensive teams and an All-NBA selection. If you could draft that, but with someone who wasn't so mentally weak at the No. 4 spot, wouldn't you do it?

Y2JT, Arnel, Vudu and 9 others like this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Ben Simmons biggest problem is mental. If his head was on right he is a positive player. If we get Ben Simmons w/o mental issues out of Amen Thompson I'll be happy.

Y2JT and Arnel like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

this isn’t the 1990’s. Perimeter players that can’t shoot are useless, molested and ignored by opposing teams in the playoffs.

amaru, B-Bob and YOLO like this.
  14. mightybosstone

I don't know what point your'e trying to make here, but there are a hell of a lot more factors that go into whether a head coach is successful than just a coach's ability to coach. He can't control who well a player shoots, passes, defends, etc. If he has bad personnel, even the best coach is going to lose a lot of basketball games (look at Pop).

A player, on the other hand, can produce still surrounded by bad players, teammates and coaches. A guy might be less efficient or slightly less productive in certain systems than others, but ultimately a star player is going to produce like a star player in most systems. So, no, I don't think this is apples to apples. If you want to argue semantics, though, I'm not really interested in that. I'm interested in talking about Amen and the draft.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

if not Silas, then pick MDA…a veteran coach who had been to multiple conference finals, yet many thought they knew better than him

just because a scout says something doesn’t mean it’s automatically true

scouts were comparing Cade Cunningham to Luka Doncic

these athletes with no jumper always get overhyped because they’re always just a jumper away from being *insert great player or top X player in the league

16. grednotto

grednotto Member

Amen plays with more tenacity then Ben Simmons ever thought about playing with. They are not the same. When it comes to mentality Amen has more in common with Giannis then Simmons.

RudyTBag, Y2JT and Arnel like this.
  17. OkayAyeReloaded

Being objective his jumper needs work but many players can improve over time, but passing skill typically translates in the NBA, his 6'7 height for a PG, you can't teach height translates, his athletic ability and rebounding will translate.

He has defensive talents to work with, still scouting the others but he's worth a pick for us imo.

Nook likes this.
  18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

As prospects they have some similarities. There are always risks.

Simmons would have been a star if the risks didn’t pan out. The risk that panned out for Simmons is that the guy doesn’t want to work. I have reasons to bet on Amen’s much stronger desire to be great.

Shooting is definitely a risk.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

you wanted to discredit folks for criticizing and judging prospects and say that you wouldn't trust them over experts and analysts. a lot of whom who have never stepped foot in the league

At the same time a person who has 20 years of coaching experience, player development, and scouting etc at the highest level, isn't used in this same regard and fans are right in thinking they know better than him.

don't try and think a fan can't easily criticize unproven prospects just because you read online so and so is good. And at the same time think someone can just believe they'll do so much better than silas with literally 0 on their resume

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes the media and so-called pundits want the Rockets to never have outside shooting.

Never have offensive efficiency