1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Amazing Time Machine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mc mark, Aug 9, 2000.

Tags:
  1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Jay,

That's a tough one. But you have to consider the fact that if you went back that far, you might live to the ripe old age of 22 - 25 years old. It wouldn't be fun, there would be untold dangers, diseases, things you couldn't even imagine.

I think I would like to go back to the 1910-20s in Paris. Now that was a rockin time. And most unquestionably the place to be. Music was exploding, art was exploding, writers were exploring everything, sex was everwhere, drugs were legal, and intellectual thought was unlimited.

------------------

2. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i would go back in time..take out hugh hefner and start up my own erotic magazine...i would have a mansion wear robes and the whole bit...that was a great idea and one lucky guy...

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

First off Jay, cool topic.

Several options:
    1. Go back and beat Hugh to the punch.
    2. Go back just far enough to do things like purchase a WHOLE bunch of original stock in companies like Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, etc. Or even farther and buy into something like Standard Oil.
    3. The Roaring Twenties would be great, until that whole depression thing kicked in, that is.
    4. Go back and be part of some bad-ass Viking clan.
    5. The personal curious side of me would go back to Jesus' time to see for myself what actually happened. Or to the time when guys like King Arthur and Merlin supposedly roamed the land.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I'd go back and guard that damn forbidden "Tree of the Fruit of Knowledge".

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So, thinking about all the time machine movies of the past (and I hear they are making a Back to the Future 4 and redoing The Time Machine), what if a time machine actually existed and only you knew about it. You could only use it twice, once to go somewhere in time, and once to get back (if you want). Where, or more precisely, when would you go?? It is a tough choice, for me, even to initially decide if I wanted to go far into the future (which physically is actually possible) or travel to the past (which they havent figured out quite yet).

In the end, though, while visiting the future would be exciting, Im more inclined to go backwards in time. Id probably go to about 10,000 years ago or so. Id like to just be part of some nomadic hunter/gatherer society. I would just have to hunt big game for my meat and relax with a nice pipe and festivites at night under the stars. There would be few of the major societal problems and whatnot that exist today, and undoubtedly will persist in the future.

I would definitely go back in time a large number of years.

Where would you go, and be as specific as possible!

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Dream, that was good.

My choice would be to go back to January 23rd, 1933.

Exactly one week after that, Hitler became Chancellor of Germany. If I get back to that time, I would do my absolute best to reach the president and let him know whats going to happen if Lucifer takes over Germany. I would also take back pictures and articles of the monstrosities he did.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 10, 2000).]

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Most undoubtedly I would go back to 1994. Bet all of my money of the Rockets. Live for two years till the Rockets win the second championship and then come back to the present to enjoy watching Francis and the rest of the Rockets. That way I've gotten to relive my most favorite memories and make a **** load of money. Now that would be FUN!!!

nice topic JayZ

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Smeggy is not FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

8. R0ckets03

Oh and the best time machine movie is of course none other than "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"

JayZ what do u mean by "far in the future, which physically is actually possible".

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

4. Smeggy is not FUN!

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Here are mine:
    1.Warn Paul Westphal about John Paxson in the 93 finals.
    2.Warn Rudy about John Stockton in the 96 West finals.
    3.Warn Parcels about Desmond Howard in 96 Superbowl.
    4.Play bball for high school teams of Rockets players (Chuck, Stevie, etc.).
    5.9th grade, skip the football practice I shred my hamstring in.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'd go back one year ago to this day and ask out that girl that I never quite was able to hook up with.

------------------
    Doink!

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'm happy with my life as it is.

I would be too scared to mess up nature's balance to try to manipulate time.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Theoretically, traveling into the future is possible. It has to do with the space-time continuum and the flux capacitator. HAHA.

No, actually, it is supposed to be physically possible. I might get this wrong, since it has been a while since i took physics, but by travelling at the speed
    of light, since space is kinda 4 dimensional, with time being the 4th dimension, you dont actually travel into the future, but rather you miss the years on earth. In other words, the person on the space ship will seem to age regularly. But he is traveling so fast that simultaneously on earth, time is passing by what would seem at a quicker rate. So, if the guy travels for a couple of decades (in his age) through space, when he returns, thousands of years would have gone by on earth.

I know that just sounded confusing, but I am sure somewhere out there closer to the subject could explain it better scientifically. The thing is, they dont know if it is possible, or how it could be possible, to travel into the past. People like Stephen Hawkins have undoubtedly tried to figure it out but havent yet (or havent made it public yet [​IMG] ).

That is what I mean.

Anyway, you guys ar ebringing up some pretty good suggestions. I would definitely travel back far enough to where there is no capatalistic system in place. Everybody says go back and buy stocks, etc,etc, but Id rather go back so that I dont have to worry about money and whatnot, but to just worry about my own livelihood. That said, Id be comfortable going back 10,000 years ago or even just a couple of thousand to the time of the great Greek and Roman Empires or to see the Egyptians, etc.

I'll worry about money again when I get back.

Besides, itd probably be just as economically salient an idea to go back to those times and say write your name down a couple places (say your family name or something), maybe become the conqueror of something or another, and then to come back, you, or your family, would be in all the history books, would be real famous, etc. That kind of visibility always leads to money anyway so Id stil be taken care of upon returning.
    ------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited August 10, 2000).]

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

14. R0ckets03

Thanks for reminding me Jaun. I'll just give Rudy the history of the Rockets uptill 2000. That way we would drafted Lewis. Also we would have traded away Pippen for Rasheed when we had a chance. I also would have gotten all the lazy Rockets fan to vote on the last referendum that failed. Then Duncan would have been convinced that Rockets are going to stay in Houston, thus he would sign here.
    Rockets: Duncan, Rasheed, Lewis, Shandon, Francis, and Mobley [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh and JayZ I didnt know u were reffering to traveling in hyperspace to reach the future. I already sort of knew about that theory.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

4. Smeggy is not FUN!

15. davo

davo Contributing Member

Jayz,

What a topic - time travel ahs always been one of my ultimate fantasies, and the Back to the Future trilogy, cheesy as they were, are still some of my favorite movies - I must have watched the first one 50 times!

I think I would probably go forward in time - going back is far to complicated and risky. Anything you do could have drastic repercussions on the present day. The future holds more interest for me.

As for the physical possibility of going forward in time, you are referring to the concept of time dilation, a theory that I believe was originally Einstein's. The theory proposes that as velocity increases, time slows down. Supposedly, the theory was proven using two identical atomic clocks, once of which was left on earth, the other placed in an aircraft and flown around very fast. When they checked the clocks afterwards, the one that was in the aircraft had passed less time. The time change increases as you approach the speed of light, so, taking it to the extreme, if I were to jump in a space craft and fly around at the speed of light for a year of my time, when I got back, you guys would have passed 2 years.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

16. Gilligan

Gilligan New Member

Could I reorganize the cells of my body into some other kind of life...It's too lousy being human...I'd like to be a cat, a nice comfortable housecat sitting on Tyra Banks lap by the fire.

------------------
    blahblahblahblah