1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

A
    I'm not using trigger words, I'm describing your behavior. You have been arguing something that I am not (hence, strawman), no one is arguing Sengun doesn't deserve touches, or that Green deserves it more than Sengun. My point is Green is not being utilized properly (he is utilized in a Klay Thompson role, which isn't his strength). Sengun is also being underutilized, that doesn't mean I cannot argue Green is not put in a position to succeed. For some reason, you have been focused on "Green not being put in a position to succeed" as "Sengun deserves more than what Green is getting". They literally aren't mutually exclusive.

If a child is fed junk food, and the other child doesn't get enough food, are you going to say there is nothing wrong with the first child's diet?[/QUOTE]
    Can you read?

No where am I saying Green doesn’t need his touches. I want him to be successful. I also want the best rookie on the team to get more run, that doesn’t mean Green can’t keep getting his.
    Also, if Green becomes half the player Thompson is that’s a win. What do you think Green is? At this point he’s not a strong finisher or shooter, what kind of utilization are you asking for? Iso will never be a strong suit of his until his handle is better. Running off screens, catch and shoot, pick and roll and fast breaks (like Thompson) are where he’s at

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

How long before Alpi demands a trade ?

slothy420, Dovahkiin and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i dont think its anything personal...imho its as simple as it can be... green is more marketable in their eyes and sengun is making him look real bad.... green was also 2nd pick and nba is very rigid and conservative in that regard

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Another strawman, can you pinpoint where exactly I claimed that your argument is "Green doesn't need his touches"?

I don't want to waste my time continuing this, so I am going to summarize. Green's comparison is Zach Lavine, and I think that is a better measure of how he should be played. Zach Lavine plays nothing like Klay Thompson, but Green is being used like Klay Thompson or Joe Harris. Zach Lavine's touches are in the 60s+ for your reference.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll say it, Green doesn't need his touches. He has poor court vision and terrible handles. He's basically a skinny House with less defense.

berkowsk and Ghost5Horse6 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you know any other idiom than straw man?
    You aren’t keeping up with the conversation. At no point did I advocate for Green to have anything “less”. You assumed I did, so you have your “confirmation bias” when I compared the two sets of rules by Silas for Sengun and Green.
    The only difference between those two is Sengun actual play deserves more minutes.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And did you just compare Thompson to Harris?
    Do you really think Thompson is a spot up/catch and shoot player?
    And if Lavine is Green’s comp, we failed on that pick.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LaVine was always Green's ceiling..... but he's unlikely to ever be that good.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Well it's unfortunate but it's been pretty applicable so far.

I mean, this is what I just said.

I am literally saying, that you never said that.

Klay Thompson is literally one of the greatest catch and shoot/spot up players of all time. Like, the fact that we need to debate this at all is indication this is going nowhere.

We can both agree that the rookies need their touches, or more if they don't have enough, and leave it at that.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Thompson is more than a catch and shoot player.
    You want Green to be something he’s not going to be. End of discussion

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm confused. Was Klay Thompson a more advanced ball handler at 19 than Green? I highly doubt that.

TriumVirate likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And right now he isn't among the top handlers as well.

He does other things really well.

13. fchowd0311

Ya Thompson is/was a really good defender. He also has some mid range offensive moves. Probably a average finisher but his size makes him competent in the paint. But his overall best attribute is his off ball shooting.

TriumVirate and daywalker02 like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what you’re confused about. Green isn’t a remotely great ball handler. He might get there.
    Klay isn’t an elite ball handler.
    If Green become Klay, that’s a win. But that’s including defense.
    If Green becomes Lavine, it’s a win if there’s a real lead dog on the team. And a bunch of defenders around him.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Well above average finisher. What makes Klay not elite is his percentage of makes that are assisted.
    Hopefully Green can be a better individual scorer in terms of ability to make a play that isn’t there.
    Right now it isn’t there.

16. fchowd0311

I'm not saying he's already a great ball handler. Just better than Klay and probably when he's filled out and has a few years of experience will be a better individual off the dribble scorer and playmaker than Thompson. That doesn't mean he'll be an elite playmaker. But he's shown at 19 he is really good at pnr ball handling in the sense that he doesn't stop his dribble while probing after going by a screen. He also has shown he can change pace and shield defenders behind him while probing. These are traits of a primary ball handler. I don't think he's ready for full time duties as the primary ball handler but I can see it maybe 2 seasons down the line.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you’re right, I want the kid to be that type of guy.
    I don’t see him averaging 5 assists any time soon.
    The kid was drafted to be a scorer, all the pundits said he could average 30 a season eventually. The playmaking ability flashes he’s shown have been great, but not something I would bank on right now.

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

Let's play a game of Silas says.

I'll go first!

Silas says...

Sengun is on a minutes restriction.

Silas says...

No soup for you! 5 minutes!

Silas says...

Theis is on a level you need to strive to achieve. Like Theis, like Theis, if I could be like Theis!

Silas says...

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over!!! Periodt!

Ok, that's it. That's the game. Hope you all enjoyed it. Nothing else to see here. Sengun is CANCELLED. Thanks for coming. Be sure to tip your waitress.

BHannes2BHonest and hakeem94 like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Man if that's the case that's one of the dumbest coaching/front office decisions ever made. Sengun was still a mid first round pick similar to Kawhi Leonard's draft position. The Rockets are dumb to not realize when they hit in the draft, and capitalize on that. Jalen Green could be good in a few years but he just exposed at this point instead of "intriguing."

But yeah I do think though that it comes down to trying things out to go small, and see if Jalen Green can takeoff without a true big in the lineup. Guess what... they got CRUSHED by the 2nd worst team in the league. So yeah... benching your best big probably wasn't such a brilliant idea. Jalen Green with the ball in his hands as much as he could handle only put up 21 pts, and only had 3 assists. Not terrible, but it is terrible given the team results.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

He was great with balancing between scoring and distributing last night. Those assist numbers don't mean much when your teammates you set up kiss point blank lay ups.

dobro1229 and hakeem94 like this.