1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He plays 5 minutes and still ends up 1 spot ahead of Green on the rookie ladder.

Easy likes this.
  2. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Dumb & Silas & Dumber?
    I like it!

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My new favorite photo

hajkov likes this.
  4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Silas coaches like he plays Green because he has to, not because he wants to.

Green has far lower touches than his peers in terms of touches, he started the game red hot and didn't take another shot for the next 16 minutes.

Bo6 and Dobbizzle like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is his peer

6. vince

vince Member

I hear the games on the radio, or follow the action via what fellow Clutchfans write about; so I trust what you say. Perhaps, Silas has been handcuffed to play Green no matter what!

And Silas has lost confidence in himself.

Rockets may not win a game in November the way they are playing.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

His peer in terms of other high draft picks. Green is only 7th among rookies in touches, one would think the 2nd pick in the draft would get more touches than that.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Silas must go. The Silas experiment is over. What he did last night must be punished. He is done in the NBA.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

16th pick isn’t a low draft pick, specially when considering the capital needed to move up for it. Also considered a higher level prospect predraft.
    Green gets plenty of touches, honestly more touches than he deserves due to his play. Sengun is the one that deserves more touches at this point.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are arguing a strawman. Sengun deserves more touches but that has nothing to do with Green's touches. I'm not even talking about draft position.

You are assuming Green and Sengun's touches need to come in the expense of each other, as opposed to other players like KPJ or Wood. This literally isn't a Green vs Sengun issue at all.

arno_ed, hajkov and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, I’m not assuming anything. And no it’s not a competition between the two.
    You’re assuming one set of rules for Green and one set for Sengun is ok. When it’s not.
    Green hasn’t earned his minutes, but he gets huge minutes and top 2 FGA on the team. I don’t have a problem with that, develop the young guys.
    My problem is Sengun, the better player, is being relegated to 5 minutes on the worst team in the league and somehow has to “earn” his minutes when by every metric in basketball, he’s been the best player on the team defensively and offensively.

berkowsk likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When the argument is “the vet was hot and deserves the minutes” and that’s why Sengun gets no PT, the logic is inconsistent. Gordon is miles better than Green and has been far better but isn’t playing over Green on the season.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I generally give Silas the benefit of the doubt, but this is bizarre. I'm watching the game now and Sengun played well and hustled and everything for the 5 minutes he played.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Like 90-95% of the time he plays

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Another strawman. I don't understand why you insist on turning this into Green vs Sengun.

Both Green and Sengun need to be better utilized.

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, enough with common trigger words and phrases.

It’s a fair comparison since both are on the team I support. I’m not knocking Green, I want him to get his. Sengun should get just as much. That is the problem, Sengun and Green are peers in every sense of the word.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

To add to that, Green is being showcased and given every opportunity to grow on the job. And he’s been pretty bad all around.
    Sengun has been excellent and not afforded the same leash.

hakeem94 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This Green vs Sengun debate is going to be toxic debate of the GARM for the next few years.

I'm happy both rookies are in this team and Sengun deserves a lot more minutes than what he's getting.

See, you can prop up Sengun without backhanding Green.

AroundTheWorld and arno_ed like this.
  19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It’s a fair comparison since both are on the team I support. I’m not knocking Green, I want him to get his. Sengun should get just as much. That is the problem, Sengun and Green are peers in every sense of the word.[/QUOTE]

I'm not using trigger words, I'm describing your behavior. You have been arguing something that I am not (hence, strawman), no one is arguing Sengun doesn't deserve touches, or that Green deserves it more than Sengun. My point is Green is not being utilized properly (he is utilized in a Klay Thompson role, which isn't his strength). Sengun is also being underutilized, that doesn't mean I cannot argue Green is not put in a position to succeed. For some reason, you have been focused on "Green not being put in a position to succeed" as "Sengun deserves more than what Green is getting". They literally aren't mutually exclusive.

If a child is fed junk food, and the other child doesn't get enough food, are you going to say there is nothing wrong with the first child's diet?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm convinced there's more to the story. Did Sengun tell him his wife is ugly or something?

And if you are already having personality and relationship problems with this team this early that's still a fireable offense. Get freaking control of your locker room or get someone else in there that young players respect.