1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

That can’t be right. He wasn’t 6’7 last year.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean....you were right about Sengum and Mobely but wrong about Suggs :D

Relax though, Im just giving you crap lol.

CXbby likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets should just lie and say they took Sengun at 2.

They should give him more of an active role in the offense like Pau Gasol got in Memphis early on. Green needs to come off the bench or maybe take a tour of the valley so he can figure out how to play basketball again.

Realize a win when you get one. Realize when you are losing another one and adjust before it gets out of hand.

palmsnbananas and CXbby like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Marcus Morris was going to be the next Melo.... you are underselling it a bit as I remember that era. What about between Marcus Morris and Sengun?

You're on this board long enough and you'll be very wrong, let's get off our high horse now. Being smug won't make the Rockets any better.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

And I never faulted the Rockets for taking Morris over Leonard, but you were wrong about Morris, absolutely. He was a good role player.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I said Suggs would be better than Cade and Green, still could be right about that.

But you got me, that’s another guy that has looked nothing like I thought. But I changed my mind on him the second in an interview he admitted he chose basketball over football for the money.

The problem with Suggs is his handles. Gonzaga was historically good and gave him the spacing to drive and finish uncontested. In the nba with tighter spacing his handles and finishing really getting exposed. Meanwhile someone like Giddey, not the fastest guy but man for someone who is legit 6’9 he has the ball on a string and generational court vision.

HP3 likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Was he on your radar in the draft?

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I was a kid and and a fanboy trying to make myself feel better about the Rockets taking Morris over Leonard.

Now I am a grown man, and don’t feel the need to rationalize or defend the failings of an organization that I owe nothing to. I can just tell it how it is. But I do see a lot of kids here sounding like how I did with Morris when it comes to Green.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Did not do a deep dive before the draft, just knew of him, but the second okc took him I took interest. I have a lot of respect for Masai and Presti(ironic, Sengun). Giddey was out after 10 seconds in summer league. But has impressed ever since his first game in preseason.

The second Masai took Barnes over Suggs is when I started strongly second guessing my takes on both. Barnes looked so bad trying to create a shot on tape.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Silas doesn’t start Sengun over Theis tomorrow, he needs to be fired. I’ve criticized Coach Silas from time to time, but in general have thought that the young coach deserved a chance to see what he could do with an almost impossible situation. A team in chaos right off the bat, a team our superstar forced his way out of (and it’s hard to blame him for wanting to leave, but easy to be disgusted with how he did it), a rookie GM suddenly having to rebuild the Rockets, injuries - heck, he deserved a long leash.

This season? A full rebuild for a young head coach with his first gig and still deserving of a lot of leeway, but the bizarre lineups to start games and puzzling substitutions have gone on long enough. He’s lost me. Starting Sengun and having Theis come off the bench would be a start, as would giving Martin, especially, and players like Garuba serious minutes, instead of having them sitting on the pine when it’s perfectly obvious that the Rockets need to concentrate on developing our young players. Some are young, but have had real experience, Sengun and Garuba being obvious examples.

Silas hasn’t given this young team a clear path to follow, not that I can see. It’s time to get some order out of the confusion we’ve all been witnessing on the court. Past time. If Coach Silas can’t start doing at least that much, immediately, Stone needs to find someone who can, and I don’t get any pleasure from saying it. The clock should be ticking.

11. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

I could only found a newspaper article from 7/30/2020 it says 201 cm

Zen Tabak likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

And mistakes will happen rather you're a kid or not in the context of making player predictions on GARM. I think we can agree players like Barnes and Mobley will be absolute studs, but it's still very early for players like Suggs and Green.

Sengun is a bright spot and we were both early on him pre draft. I have no doubt Sengun will continue to rise and we need a little over all patience.

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

It’s criminal that Sengun only averages 19 minutes per game. Theis is a bum as a starter. He should be coming off the bench where he belongs and is serviceable for spot minutes in certain situations and dictated by matchups.

CXbby likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Smart player on a dumb team from top to bottom.

Richie_Rich, AroundTheWorld and CXbby like this.
  15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We tanked for a building block. We found him. BUILD around Sengun! Build around Sengun now! If they don't fit with him, then trade them. If they don't get along with Sengun, trade them. This kid is a star!

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Thank god we have one rookie who knows how to play basketball.

tycoonchip likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I noticed that in this last game, he took over as playmaker when he was in. He directed everyone, including Gordon. Becoming more assertive.

I LOVE IT.

Like many others, this kid is the only reason I am watching the Rockets now. He is super skilled and seems to have a great personality.

I hope Green develops into a serviceable sidekick to him eventually.

The way we should play is with Alpi as the point center. Jokic role. Trade everyone who doesn't fit this or doesn't accept it. Fire the coach if he doesn't recognize this and doesn't start doing it right now.

I want to see Garuba and Christopher get 20+ minutes a game as well. Garuba looked incredibly dejected in the few minutes he got last night. I guess the Chris Paul humiliation didn't help. Build their confidence, coach, rather than having them rot on the pine. There is absolutely no reason at all to play House, ever. He is a selfish chucker, nobody needs him.

P.S.: We shouldn't hate on Theis. He is a serviceable player and has done nothing wrong. But Alpi should be getting 30 minutes, Theis 15-20, not the other way around.

joshuaao, slothy420, Mr.Scary and 2 others like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

The good news is we have him for a while (on a great rookie deal). With player movement, who the F knows nowadays. And if the team is bad enough; it's not out of realm of possibility he would bolt.

2021-22 $3.2 m
    2022-23 $3.4 m
    2023-24 $3.5 m

[rookie extension eligible]
    2024-25 $5.2 m
    2025-26 $7.6 m (restricted free agent)

Putting him in a starting rotation could go a long way to show team is trusting him.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because he is a constant now, a veteran so to speak.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol, he was a 6'7/6'8 ish C before all that.

Serviceable he is not, not among rookies.