1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

actually these kinds of passes are not that hard to throw especially if its KJM receiving it...

you just need to keep account where is an open teammate while you fighting for the offensive rebound (or just before it)...i am sure i have thrown a couple of passes like these and some were even from the ground after diving for the lose ball...of course you need to be a willing passer to do this process so when the opportunity arises you can do it......

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I just want to know why people on twitter aren't in literal frenzies after each Jalen Green game.

Can someone please advise why? Must be a reason for it. I just can't quite put my finger on it.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

in sengun's mind, a court map of bird's-eye view are always available there, that displays the dynamic of opponents as well as teammates' positions, also in order to dish the ball off to right person, the map deliberately showing key stats/features of each mate (incl their height, length of arms, vertical leap, 3p% etc.,) , so, it's no longer about skillset or kinda ability that could churn out in gym, it's about a much coveted gift (court vision).

unfortunately, im afraid...KPj (as a pg) could never have, just that bc not easy to develop.

[​IMG]

#466 DeBeards, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/...stephen-curry-kristap-porzingis-julius-randle

Alperen Sengun Is Wonderfully Weird

Sengun is a bit of an oddball player. He does his own thing, tries some silly moves, and generally is just a bundle of joy to watch play.

Per 36 minutes, Sengun is averaging 17.3 points, 9.4 rebounds, and 4.9 assists while making 40.9 percent of his 3s. But he’s actually playing only 18.3 minutes off Houston’s bench, and as a result, he won’t sniff any Rookie of the Year ballots despite his great per-minute production.

With the Rockets focusing on developing young players, rival executives wonder how long it’ll be until Houston veterans are moved, paving the way for Sengun to play more.

There is an expectation around the NBA that Christian Wood, who’s in the second season of a three-year contract, will receive significant trade interest and that Houston will entertain offers. Wood is only 26, so Houston could keep him, but he’s no sure thing to stay come 2023; one of the reasons he signed with the Rockets over other interested teams was to play with James Harden, and Harden is long gone. Wood can offer a lot more to a team with playoff hopes than he can to the Rockets.

Starting center Daniel Theis will also receive mild trade interest from teams in need of a steady veteran backup. Sengun is better than Theis right now, but he’s an imperfect frontcourt fit with Wood because both are lean bigs.

Houston should shuffle some pieces around and figure out the John Wall situation. The Rockets front office needs to clean up their mess so Sengun can start really messing around on the court.

slothy420, Easy, harold bingo and 5 others like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

in general i agree but this one that left us most in wonder wasnt particularly difficult for a passing inclined guy especially if KJM called him from behind, would like to see a different angle to see if KJM gave him a sound signal

DeBeards likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

hmmmm, even if the dime resulted from sengun's pass finding its way to KMj's sound, the no look move still an unbelievable, anyway, i wish seeing more of this sort from sengun so that we could begin to doubt/double check whether this guy is 19 or much older than that lolo_O

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2983939/202...ukes-paolo-banchero-hollingers-week-that-was/

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK: Alperen Şengün, C, Houston

(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best rookie of the week. Just the one I’ve been watching.)

While Jalen Green is the Rockets’ higher-profile rookie after Houston selected him with the second pick in the 2021 draft, of late it’s the 16th pick, Alperen Şengün, who has provided many of the Rockets’ highlights.

Şengün was a divisive player among scouts entering the 2021 draft, and that hasn’t changed. On the one hand, he plays with skill beyond his years at the offensive end, showing great vision as a passer, deft footwork on the block and nascent shooting touch.

Here, how about a behind-the-back pass around three defenders to an open shooter?

On the other hand, he’s still experimenting out there; every night is Improv Night at Club Şengün, and he is prone to Poku-esque turnovers as a result. His turnover rate of 21.2 percent this season is … high. Definitely quite high.

Defensively, he could stand to get in better shape, and defenses continually attack him on the perimeter. He played a deep drop scheme in Turkey that didn’t ask a lot of him, and thus far, the 19-year-old has still seemed shy about getting out on the perimeter to challenge shooters.

On the interior, however, it’s been a different story. Şengün actually has some bounce to him, plus quick hands and anticipation, and as a result, his rates of steals and blocks are actually pretty good, while his rebounding has at least been respectable. Watch here as he tracks Terry Rozier on a switch and flicks his shot away from a point well above the rim:

Vid

On the other hand, his basic credo of trying stuff now and figuring out whether it works later applies equally at the defensive end. He fouls constantly — 7.7 personals per 100 possessions — and reaches and lunges for steals. He probably has more missed steal attempts on high-post entry passes than any five other players put together.

Still, the overall production has been pretty solid, and his feel for the game is something special.

Despite a crowded frontcourt, the Rockets do seem committed to the idea of Şengün, who is getting a steady 18 minutes per game as the backup five despite a crowded frontcourt.

He’ll never have the electrifying highlight reel Green does, and he’ll probably never be a contender for Defensive Player of the Year, either. Nonetheless, I remain a fan. His performance to date shows Şengün clearly has a place in the league, and as he (hopefully) improves his conditioning and figures out what gambles work and which ones he should leave on the cutting room floor, he has, in his own way, shown one of the highest ceilings in this rookie class.

slothy420 and harold bingo like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

bro, do you even ball??
    next time youre on playground try this and get us back with the result...

aaquaa likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut and hakeem94 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does the 'No look behind the back with both hands' pass.

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

yes i ball (though im not a good passer / used to refusing to pass:oops:)
    i believe sengun knew KMj was there or felt KMj had moved to the spot.

k, hahahahaha

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

anyone, even amateurs with a decent touch can turn their back to the basket and if not score, then at least hit the rim or backboard in just a few tries, its very easy to do...

if so, then its a no wonder a professional player can hit another with such a pass with a relative ease...especially if its KJM that is a target with a huge wing span and very adept at catching such passes

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They are. Are you not on twitter?

18. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

DeBeards and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes they are but they frenzy over his nail polish, fashion taste, girly haircuts and photo sessions... surely not over his basketball moves LOL

if its basketball related then they praise his ability to jump, how fast he is and how good he could be if he ever actually learn to play basketball

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

just back home from the playground where i tried this and hit both the rim and the glass in the first try...i even scored a basket shooting from the baseline (also with my back turned toward the basket) and throwing it over my head....