1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. juanming

juanming Member

Bottom line things have to be done in the correct order silas should go . He has the opportunity of starting sengun at power forward and wood at Center he just refuses to do it.. not sure why but he refuses to do it

If Stone promise theis a starting role then it's going to cost Silas his job because this is ridiculous

Sengun is our best player, need more minutes to develop, we went on a 15-game losing streak , and even that was not enough to start sengun

There's something seriously wrong with this organization behind closed doors

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Funny we used to have no center. Small ball, remember? Now we have too many.

conquistador#11 and daywalker02 like this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think you nailed a few things.

Two big lineups are awful
    There isn’t some magic shuffling of lineups we can do to make two big lineups work
    Wood is here and has to get minutes.

But on top of that, Sengun is currently 5th in fouls per minute and 13th in turnovers per minute. Had 3 fouls in 16 minutes last night. The foul and turnover rates just aren’t sustainable for a high minutes guy. The examples of guys with high foul rates AND high turnovers rates getting big minutes are almost non existent.

We need to find a trade for Wood so Sengun can eat up as many minutes as possible with Theis serving as his backup.

4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

That's what i mean. It is his job to find something that works. It does not need to be your primary option.

The point is this team has many bad lineups anyways. Among these, the priority should be the one that plays your promising rookie more. More importantly, not only he is a promising rookie, he is the only player that has an effect on the entire team, both on offense and defense. In that regard, it should be almost automatic to have more balanced minutes between Wood and Alperen, if you are not going for an alternate route.

We can talk about it in many ways, but I don't think there is any way we can justify playing him 16 minutes.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes but useless weight, you'd have to correctly identify the quality of that abundance in bigs.

Easy likes this.
  7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

That's actually why I think he needs to play more. The only way to develop in those areas, is to play actual nba minutes, not the after blow-out minutes. The more he plays the faster he learns. In the worst case you'll lose more games, but I doubt it is possible.

You focus on his turnover and foul rate. Compared to Wood, if they played equal minutes he would turn the ball over 1 more time than Wood, but would make more assists, have more steals, would improve the team defense much more. And his turnovers usually come while he is trying to make something happen, which is part of the learning process, unlike Wood or KPJ who walk into a triple team and still try the same thing they initially decided to do.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I agree he needs to play more.

But I think IF the coach and organization could be candid and truthful and they said the reasons Sengun is getting limited minutes is because we need to play and showcase Wood for a trade and that as of now the combo of his foul AND turnover rates are just too high, I could get behind that reasoning.

Just need to hope some trades can happen sooner rather than later so he can get the minutes he needs.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I agree. Right now both the organization and the coach look like they don't know what they are doing. They are just losing credibility by stuff like 'x was playing well, so i kept him in'.

In general i don't believe in showcasing players for trades. A player has the highest trade value if he is used correctly, not just more.

10. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

The most outrageous stat on the Silas train wreck is the night he played AlP for 5 minutes. It's unexplainable and just show the lack of awareness these multi millionaire coaches have.

Sengun should play more as much as his body can handle. Every game we don't do that show our lack of commitment to the actual rebuilding process.

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Fouls are clearly a problem, but high assist players routinely have high turnover rates, it's very much the norm, not the exception.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Right and my claim was that you won’t find a player who has BOTH a high foul rate AND a high turnover rate getting a lot of minutes. It just doesn’t happen.

MorningZippo likes this.
  13. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Member

I think you missed one important point. Silas limits his minutes and Sengun knows that. Therefore Sengun does not care foul trouble in his limited minutes. If he knows he will play over 30 minutes, then he will be much more careful and takes less risk.

We are talking about 19 years old a high BBIQ player, common guys. Just give him time than he will learn how to manage it.

P.S: He has never fouled out this season. He should play until he fouled out.

14. conquistador#11

.500 from the kiss of death zone.

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hits 5 in a row!

edit
    @conquistador#11
    pardon me didnt see you posting this already

#355 hakeem94, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

WOWSAAA!!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

harold bingo and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member