1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think they'll send Tobias Harris instead of Horford with the 1st Rounder originally belonging to OKC attached to Harris. Harris and a 1st for Paul straight up would be a win for Presti. Dude is still only 27 and if he shows out next season in OKC that's another trade chip Presti can use during the trade deadline. With Horford OKC would have to ask Philly to not only bend over but also send multiple picks because Al is definitely not a desirable asset right now.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rockets were eliminated April 27, 2016. Mike D'Antoni hired May 26, 2016.

Rockets were eliminated September 12, 2020. So I would imagine anytime between the last week of September to the third week of October, the choice should be decided. Hopefully it's narrowed down to finalists by about September 26 or so. That's nine days from now. You don't want the Pelicans or 76ers to hire our guy (unless it's Ty Lue or Mark Jackson please hire them before we can)

The search is expected to be faster due to the number of openings elsewhere. Some are comparable to our gig. You would put us in the top tier though.

Group A: Rockets, 76ers, Pelicans - A chance to coach a championship caliber team in year 1 or a chance to coach the biggest player entering the league since LeBron and build a system around him in year 2.
    Group B: Thunder (if they don't tank) and Pacers. Two organizations who have won a lot lately and have fans who expect to win. Expectations are higher in Indy. Both teams should be in the playoffs and could be dark horse contenders. If the Thunder are tanking, you get a chance to build around SGA and the pressure will be low.
    Group C: Bulls - ownership is known to be a pain in the ass similar to the Rockets and 76ers but here you're coming into a young team with no clear future star.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

IMO the only final date is before FA starts.

you gotta have your coach in place and have given potential FA’s the time to think about a role here .

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The draft is before Free Agency. You want your coach in place at least a month before the draft. The Draft is set for November 18th.

It's not just hire the guy and he'll figure it out overnight. There will be a month of watching tape, familiarity and evaluation. The sooner the better.

This is the most important hire in this franchise's history. This will decide whether we win a championship in the next decade. When we hired MDA, we were a bottom dweller and so was he. 41-41, mediocre. He was coming off failed stints in LA and NY and was coaching in Philly as an assistant after once being regarded as one of the best. Both sides have restored their reputation and gotten everything they could expect out of the relationship. Now it's time to hire the coach to come in, see what we are doing right and keep doing it and fix the small details that D'Antoni missed because of familiarity. Similar tactics, a fresh voice and more openness for change.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Feigen mentioned Lue and Brooklyn’s Jacque Vaughn as potential candidates near the top of Houston’s 2020 wish list."

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Lue's asking price last time when he interviewed for the Lakers job was around $6 million a year for 5 years. I'm interested to see if he's lowered his asking price or the number of years this time around. If either demands are still consistent are we assuming Fertitta will pony up the cash?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He also mentioned Kenny Atkinson as the guy he would want and a guy Morey loves but a guy he doesn't expect to get the job. He mentioned a ton of guys and honestly didn't seem to have a feel for who they would hire. He said Morey doesn't even know who he wants yet.

D-rock, HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...rospects-tyronn-lue-tom-thibodeau-chris-finch

This is interesting.

There's a broad consensus that former Nets head coach Kenny Atkinson will be among the most sought-after candidates on the market. Whatever transpired in Brooklyn, Atkinson is still regarded as a multiskilled coach who is an expert teacher, culture maven and expansive thinker who understands how to work his team's strengths.

Last September, Wojnarowski asked Erik Spoelstra and Doc Rivers to name an opposing head coach for whom it was particularly tough to prepare. Both coaches cited Dave Joerger for his creativity and game management. There are competing books on Joerger, who spent three seasons each in Memphis and Sacramento. Either he's a strong tactician with some jagged edges, or he's a basketball savant who was unceremoniously fired by two notoriously dysfunctional front offices. Several executives and veteran head coaches say they're curious to see how Joerger could perform in a more stable situation.

Fellow Mavericks assistant Stephen Silas impressed in interviews with both Houston and Atlanta in recent seasons and now presides over the NBA's top-ranked offense in Dallas. With the right audience of players eager for a new voice, Silas' intelligence and unassuming manner, along with the tactical ingenuity he brings to the facility every morning, could be the right fit.

Executives around the league are bullish on the creativity and philosophy of Chris Finch, currently an assistant in New Orleans. They see an outside-the-box thinker, not unlike Toronto's Nurse, who has worked in a ton of different contexts -- several years as a head coach overseas, a standout run in the G League and a strong presence on the bench as an NBA assistant.

In the ongoing NBA parlor game "Who's Going to Succeed Pop?" San Antonio assistant Will Hardy is a morning line favorite. Steeped in Spurs gestalt, Hardy, 32, has performed just about every function imaginable in the organization, from grinding in the video room to deep immersion in the Spurs' player development apparatus to summer league coach and now the bench. Adored by the brass and courted by the Warriors in 2017 for their G League opening, Hardy has a deep understanding of modern basketball and the flexibility it demands.

Ime Udoka has the unanimous respect of the Spurs organization from top to bottom, having served on Popovich's staff for seven seasons following a seven-year NBA playing career. Now with Philadelphia alongside the since-fired Brown, Udoka is a reliable, process-oriented coach with measured confidence and a way with players.

Imagine stealing the Spurs' successor away from them. That would be a ton of fun. He is the Spurs' Spoelstra.

D-rock, TimDuncanDonaut and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Will Hardy is their successor imo. He’s the one we would want to steal if that’s the direction we want to go.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Just hire him. Bring in coordinators to help him. Gentry for offense and Kalamian for defense Let's get our future coach.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I agree.

And that’s who I want as assistant coaches as well no matter who the HC is.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

I could be wrong, he could surprise but no, I don't think he's going to pay going rate.

I mean I guess maybe "Mike wasn't my guy, I didn't hire him, I don't want him, so I'm not really gonna make a legit offer" but ehh...

"“The reported $5 million is really $2½ million because it comes with contingencies. One, it’s only $5 million if he makes the playoffs and two, if he is coaching the team at the end of the year."

"If they decide to fire Mike in the proverbial change of direction, he gets $2.5 million."

"LeGarie also said the $1 million bonus for each round of the playoffs the Rockets reached in that season would begin with the second round."

"The Rockets’ base salary offer, even if considering it to be $5 million, is well shy of other recent contracts for veteran coaches such as Terry Stotts or Dwane Casey. If considered to be $2.5 million, it is less than for recent first-year coaches Nick Nurse or James Borrego, though with a chance to earn more."

Whether you liked Mike or not, $2.5M is a slap in the face. $5M is "well shy of other veteran coaches".

Maybe he can get away with it with Stephen Silas, Sam Cassell, Chris Finch, some "up-&-comer"/first-timer but probably not Ty Lue, definitely not JVG.

steddinotayto, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Anybody but Lue

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have to decide what kind of financial commitment they want to make to a head coach. If they aren’t going to drop 25-30 million on Lue AND let him pick his staff (which isn’t going to be cheap) then the Rockets need to move on to the more desperate group of candidates.

The Sixers have an attractive job AND will spend the money needed to being in the coach they want. The Bulls will also spend the money (this time) needed to get the coach they want.

The Pelicans will likely spend in the middle, but they have some very good young players that will attract a coach.

The Rockets have a team built the win now, the best player in the world and a good GM. However the Rockets also are old, with little flexibility, has a very actively involved GM and may not spend the money for a top coach and staff.

If I am a coach that is in demand, I want a long term deal to coach the Rockets with control over my staff. There is no way I am trusting ownership to take care of me and I don’t want Daryl Morey or the owner messing with my staff every season.

D-rock, Deuce, Rashmon and 3 others like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I actually didn't even think about this with Lue. Maybe I will be less mad at his hiring if it happens than I thought. Less of liking him as a hire and more of a signal. He would indicate A) Tilman would spend money and B) allow control to be properly separated, like a separation of power type thing. Executive (Tilman) , Judicial (Coach), Legislative (Morey).

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Jackson is worse.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

True lol

treyk3 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. I’ll just say this, TF isn’t breaking the bank for a coach unless it is his idea... so that likely means no one like Kenny Atkinson (unless that’s TF guy).

The offer to MDA was sad. It was pretty clear that TF didn’t really give a **** if MDA coached the team or not. If he really wanted MDA, he would have extended him last year for multiple years.

Guys like TF that are obsessed with money tend to show you how they really feel about you in financial terms.

D-rock, Deuce, treyk3 and 2 others like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

if Lue is hired, I will be surprised if he doesn’t bring a strong set of assistants with him. He is very well connected around the league. He would likely bring Chauncey Billups with him. I wouldn’t rule outcome Mike Longabardi or possibly Phil Handy either as associate head coach.

Deuce and Rudyc281 like this.