1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. BeardedWonder

BeardedWonder Member

Stephen Silas should be the choice imo. Having coached Luka who let’s face it is a carbon copy of Harden I’m sure he has good ideas on how to utilize him effectively.

Sam Cassel would be a fun hire as well and could really help Russ be more effective and efficient with his mid range game.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

@Nook you beat me to it! I was going to update my old thread

I would rank my list like this:

1. Lue - championship experience, game management, superstar management. he's got everything we need. probably will demand too much $ for tilman.
    2. Griffin - championship experience, defense. not sure how much game management/superstar management he had to do since Nurse does that.
    3. Silas - mentored for 18 years by some of the greatest offensive and defensive coaches of all time.
    4. Joerger - if harden/rus give the ok, because he isn't easy to work with. he will wear out his welcome in 2 years but that's enough time to know if we should blow it up or not anyway.
    5. Hammon - if pop says her bball iq is on the level of Kerr and Carlisle, sign me up.
    6. Kalamain - strong relationship with harden and rus from OKC days. he can probably hold them accountable more than anyone else. also comes with great resume as an assistant.
    7. Larranaga - Celtics assistant is worth interviewing.

notable omissions:

1. JVG - love him. hasn't coached in 15 years. would probably be too expensive anyway.
    2. Cassell - love him, his best coaching quality is player development. bring him in when we trade harden and rus and want to rebuild through the draft. he's the guy that helped get SGA on the scene. that's his talent, that's not what we need right now.
    3. Atkinson, Ham - see Cassell.
    4. Finch - this is who morey was grooming to replace Mchale, but then he didn't go in that direction and that's all we need to know about that.
    5. Vanterpool, Tibbets, Mosley, Udoka - mostly known for their relationship building and being able to manage players. seem like great top assistants but to be a HC you need to bring a little more to the table than "well liked" and "makes friends easily"
    6. no retreads who haven't made a difference before - Kidd, Jackson, McMillan, Donovan, Fizdale, Gentry, Brett Brown, or Mike Brown, although I'd consider one of them as an associate head coach if we hire a rookie HC.

Predictions:

we know morey liked Lue, griffin, Silas, joerger, Vogel, JVG, and thibs 4 years ago. team needs haven't changed. I'd still bet on someone from his old list. since Vogel and thibs are taken, JVG and Lue are likely to be too expensive, joerger may or may not be blackballed from the nba or too risky given morey being under review, I think it comes down to griffin or Silas. griffin is getting more attention so we may be outbid for him too. I'd say this is a safe estimation - reach (Lue), target (Griffin), fallback (Silas), wildcard (Joerger)

pippendagimp likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Now is not the time to select someone with no head coaching experience. My vote is for Messina.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

One last thing and I'll STFU.

Doc Rivers... here me out.

If Denver wins tomorrow he will be available.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thanks, @Nook. Another great post.

I too would be very happy if it were the Rockets to break that glass ceiling. I read an article in which Pau Gasol just raved about her. And we could do a whole lot worse than to have a coach that assisted Popovich.

mikol13, jch1911, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I also wouldn’t mind Shane Battier. I just want him in this organization in any form.

Jayzers_100, jch1911 and Deuce like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

he remains with the Miami Heat as VP of Basketball Development & Analytics. It doesn't look like his personal path is to pursue any on the bench coaching roles and be more of behind the scenes

raining threes and treyk3 like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If this is true and he wishes to stay behind the scenes and McNair gets the Kings gig we need to bring in Shane to take over that role.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

also note hes had this role since 2017

10. riko

riko Member

Sampson and gundy are defensive gurus who will harden accountable.i like them and I got say billups for Russ could be a godsend

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

don't forget . Kerr was a GM then a Play by Play then the coach of a championship team. Popovich was GM and hired himself to coach midseason. Nash was in the front office in a similar role and is now a head coach. You have to atleast try to get him to interview.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh im not saying don't, just relaying the whereabouts of him. I always thought Battier would have some kind of front row coaching role w/ such a high bball iq but to this point we haven't seen any signs of that. And rather he's doing everything behind that. Nothing wrong with that of course

raining threes and treyk3 like this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

i agree but if there’s anyone who could convince him it would be Morey.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

You're forgetting who's the boss here. And remember hes with Pat Riley and the Miami Heat. Even Morey doesn't have enough juice to offer him anything remotely close to what they do and to pry him away

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Of course. The future with Tilman is bleak. All we can hope is that he eventually learns how to be a better owner.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And possibly JVG

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sampson checks a lot of boxes. Not many people can say they have strong relationships with Tilman, Morey and Harden. And if CULTURE is a key component that is important too.

mikol13, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

JVG with Shane Battier as his Associate HC would be incredible (put Alvin Gentry on that bench too) but I can't see Shane taking less than the lead role and I can't see Tilman paying one of them market price much less both of them.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Tillman gets his guy
    And surrounds him with top notch assistants.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sampson has no interest in the vacant Rockets coaching position, let alone returning to the NBA. I have close ties inside the UH basketball organization and can confirm that. UH will be his last job before Sampson officially retires a few years from now down the road and he's absolutely happy with that. Had all his personal and team requests not been fulfilled in recent years, we could be possibly talking about Sampson moving him and his family on but that's not the case.

#80 YOLO, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020