1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Looks like Lue is being skipped over again.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

YES!

D-rock likes this.
  4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I feel a little miss informed, but anyone else keep seeing the trend of we are meeting with Lue next week, over and over again, it’s like being pushed back over and over .....

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

all fair points. I'm not saying he was on the cutting edge towards the end of his rockets tenure. that's part of the reason he wasn't brought back. however, part of the issue was roster construction as well. Yao was not able to chase stretch 5's. Howard, scola, Landry, were not perimeter defenders. they couldn't keep up with stretch 4's or small ball lineups. those teams were not constructed for the modern nba and neither was JVG's systems, and yet the nba was changing into what it is today and leaving us behind.

JVG has his faults, like all available coaches. he kept a short rotation on big minutes like MDA, and as you mentioned he was a little dogmatic in adjusting strategy. However, I think he was excellent at controlling pace, disrupting the other team's pace and flow when they got going, making the right subs and calling the right timeouts, and his teams were always prepared to take away the opponents first couple of options. all more than MDA was doing for us.

I don't hold the lack of playoff success over his head. yes, there were 3 first round exits and 1 lotto year due to injuries. however, we have to look at his tenure in context. prior to JVG, Rudy t had missed the playoffs for 4 straight years. sure the team was rebuilding and the playoffs weren't expected, but JVG took that team to the playoffs the first year he took it over. that was a definite step forward. first round exits the first 2 years a rebuilding team makes the playoffs is sort of on-par. he missed in year 3 because tmac/yao each missed half a season. year 4, out in the first round with Yao, tmac, and battier did him in... but, how did Rick Adelman do with the same group the next year? another first round exit, albeit without yao. rick made the second round a year later so I guess he was slightly more successful than JVG but he also had a much better team. by then morey added artest, scola, lowry, brooks, chuck Hayes. and the next two years Adelman missed the playoffs and we were back to rebuilding. so for all of his faults did JVG really hold us back? given a similar team to Rudy T's last years he had more success. given a worse team than adelman had he did almost the same.

I'm not saying he is and always was amazing, but he was above average, especially at some things we currently need desperately. and since taking 10 years off and watching/analyzing countless games as a broadcaster, and coaching Team USA in FIBA, what has he learned about the modern nba? is he willing to open the offense to James and morey and possibly an offensive assistant like finch? has he learned how to update his defense for a modern nba? that's what the interview is for. you and I just don't know. and that's sort of my point is we don't really know enough to write him off. we have to trust morey to analyze all of the interviews.

I think we've seen Lue make the right calls, the right adjustments, subs, etc.. during his title run. he was known for game management before he took that job and he showed it. he ran an efficient half court offense and was solid defensively because of a JVG disciple (Longabardi) running his defense. we've seen Atkinson run an analytics based offense, finish first in pace, and bring his team into the top 10 in defense (with less defensive talent than we have). we've also seen JVG just a couple years ago, take an out-matched and under talented olympic qualifying team of college underclassmen thrown together for a few weeks, and win a FIBA tournament against more talented and older/experienced international pro teams who have played together for ages. and that's in the modern style 5-out pace and space era of basketball. and we've also seen Silas get hired as the mans offensive coordinator and take them to the #1ortg of all time. they each have flaws and each have strengths. I wouldn't discount anyone of these 4 just yet (unless they ask for too much and tilman won't pay).

HakeemOnlyFan, Dacamel and D-rock like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Rockets moved their coaching search to the former head coach portion of the process, a person with knowledge of the effort to choose a successor said on Monday.

Team officials have met with their Director of Player development John Lucas before Monday’s interviews with former Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue, the individual said, adding that the Rockets also expect to meet with their former head coach Jeff Van Gundy now that his broadcasting duties for ABC/ESPN are complete for the season.

The interviews last week were mostly with lead assistants, Stephen Silas of the Mavericks, Wes Unseld Jr. of the Nuggets and David Vanterpool of the Timberwolves, along with former Nets coach Kenny Atkinson.

The Rockets have not ruled out expanding the interviews beyond the seven planned, but have been pleased with the sessions so far, according to the individual with knowledge of the process so far. Finalists could be brought back for follow-ups, but the sessions have included meetings with Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta before longer sessions with general manager Daryl Morey and others in basketball operations.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...viewing-former-head-coaches-this-15639121.php

D-rock, Rudyc281 and baller4life315 like this.
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't know squat about the majority of these coaches, especially the assistant coaches. Even their "Xs and Os" are driven a great deal by the personnel you have. I mean, Frank Vogel was not in the league and wasn't looked at as some home run coaching hire but put him with the 2 most versatile superstars in the league and he looks like a HOF coach. A lot of people thought Dantoni was washed up until he helped Harden lead us to our greatest seasons since the championship years.

I think most people here are just like me, they don't have a clue about any of these coaches' ability to run this team. But, you somehow find a way to compare them.

The only guy I know I don't want is Mark Jackson and that's because he continues to have terrible takes on live tv every day. Last night he called Vogel's decision to go small at the beginning of the game bad, when a blind man can see their 'small' lineup with AD at center and Lebron at PF is practically unbeatable.

8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

A JVG hire here reminds me of what the raiders did with Jon Gruden. A lot of similarities there but Gruden did win a title though

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

JVG is just gonna run Moreyball and be cool with a below average shooting team taking the most threes? Harden will mask his offensive shortcomings? We’ll see how that goes come playoff time...

I really don’t recall all these great adjustments being made by JVG back in the day

I haven’t seen anyone that’s touting him actually state what these adjustments were, just blanket statements like “he’s good at adjustments” or “he’ll make adjustments”

10. riko

riko Member

I think at this point it’s looking like a Van Gundy reunion and I can’t be happier. He will bring back some accountability and discipline.

xtruroyaltyx and raining threes like this.
  11. rockets13champs

Gruden is doing terrific with LV

raining threes likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’d honestly rather have Ty Lue than JVG

13. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

The answer is simple. A coach who is not afraid to play everybody in the roster, including rookies and undrafted guys to the rotation. Bring me that coach

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We also need a coach who will add wrinkles to the offense and be strong on defense with good player management skills. Morey ball isn't enough.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

me too. Lue is option 1, Atkinson is option 2, then Silas or JVG depending on if we can find a better offensive or defensive AHC.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

my favorite is probably the play at 3:04

18. rockets13champs

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Van Gundy. The end.

20. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

4-12
    7-9
    3-2 this year