1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The all inclusive potential coach guide (2020-2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Kenny Atkinson is a good one. A lot of people won't see it until he's hired.

FrontRunner, D-rock, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I knew him only as a great player development coach, but the more I research him the more there is to like. the nets had the 10th best defense this season, which is amazing considering their roster.

I'd be very excited if he were the hire but we'd have to pair him with an AHC who brings some offensive creativity, maybe a former player who can earn respect of the superstars, possibly someone with championship experience... like cassell.

I've started thinking not only about the pro's/con's of each candidate but who's weaknesses can be covered with available assistant coaches. could be a deciding factor if, say we can't find a top notch defensive assistant, we'd probably go with a defensive HC over an offensive HC.

I think I'd pair our top 4 candidates like this:

• JVG & Finch - Jeff brings the defense and game management and Chris brings the offense.
    • Atkinson & Cassell - same as above but cassell brings championship experience too, plus Atkinson comes from the pop coaching tree.
    • Lue & Longabardi - Ty brings the game management and his former assistant, mike. Longabardi assisted Lue in CLE during their championship. he ran the defense. You might remember his name from his days in Houston assisting JVG. He also followed Thibs to Boston and won a ring there too. Solid defensive assistant, and a bonus for hiring Lue! no, its not a guarantee but lue turned down the lakers job because they wouldn't allow him to hire his old assistants, so the assumption is he will want to bring in Longobardi and Larry drew.
    • Silas & Hollins - This was Morey's lineup for 2016 before Les pushed for MDA. Silas brings the offense. he was mentored by don nelson (5-out small ball) and last year helped get the Mavs to the #1 offense. Hollins is known for his defense, and would bring championship experience after the lakers win 2 more games.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know if he's coach material of not, but I've always thought he could be in the role of a John Lucas for the rest of his life. He may very well make a good coach, though, but I don't know anything about being a great X's and O's guy or anything. He seems like he's got the mentality, though.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  4. K1TCH3NS

K1TCH3NS Member

I would be happy with landing Atkinson as next HC. Pair him with an offensive minded lead assistant maybe Finch?

raining threes and treyk3 like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

New Orleans won’t let Finch go to be an associate head coach elsewhere if he’s still under contract. Nurse tried to hire him as such 2 years ago. Finch and Erman Or Kalamian as his associate head coach is the move.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We had Finch under staff already why do rockets keep blowing these opportunities?

Nurse
    Finch
    Etc etc

treyk3 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree risk/reward is worth it, for a ring

But unless that coach is successful, like Finals successful, going against your GM does not sound like a great plan.

raining threes and fckbandwagons like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love Hollins as an assistant but why would he leaves Lakers for lateral position?

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Morey’s MO

Dragic(tried to get back), Lowry(worth it but could have gotten back if it weren’t for Melo), Lin ( overpaid to get back), Covington (gave up a ton to get back ), Wood (Tried to get back), Harrell (Throw in for CP3), Bruno (Traded a pick to get back and still failed to use) all let go too soon at one point or another. Great eye for talent who doesn’t hold onto pieces.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

KA is definitely a MDA disciple, "read the game" is very Mike D'Antoni.

And his role players and young players love his enthusiasm, sincerity and intensity. Which could be useful for recruitment purposes.

Appeared that the superstars enjoyed his coaching style too, until something changed and they lost confidence in him.

I wonder what was the turning point?

I would endorse him as next Rockets HC, my top 3 option for sure.

But even with all that talent KA had at his disposal (Kyrie, DJ and extremely young but very talented and deep roster - Dinwiddie, Jarrett Allen, Caris LaVert, Joe Harris, Taurean Prince, Garrett Temple, Rodions Kurucs, etc.) PLUS competing in the LEAST, Atkinson was just not a winner.

Never won his division, never came close.

Imagine MDA with that roster AND in the Eastern conference.

Imagine what Harden could do with that team. Think if Nets had Harden instead of Kyrie.

Mind blowing.

#310 D-rock, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

A good GM shouldn’t get in the way of winning if it’s happening. So I think we need a coach that’s more powerful than his GM. Coaching for the GM is crap, GM supporting the coach is what we need. Who cares about your philosophy if it hasn’t worked? Winning is the only goal. No distractions.

Plowman and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

JVG in consideration for Clips?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...hing-vacancy-jeff-van-gundy-mark-jackson-espn

I am shocked that JVG is only 58 but is considered an old school coach (for good reason).

SVG is older but has run more modern offense more recently than JVG.

I think JVG is great friend of the Rockets but I never want to see his antiquated offense (or defense) in Houston again.

Coach exactly same number of seasons as D'Antoni but has never got out of first round in postseason. ZERO.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More powerful than DM?
    That's a tall order.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Kidd is the #2 in LA. Hollins is #3. moving up to AHC would be a step towards getting a head coaching spot again, if that's what he wants. there is a chance at his age, and given the championship run the lakers are about to complete, that he decides to just ride it out there until he retires.

but that's sort of the point of my post. if he isn't available (as a defensive coordinator, and former HC) to complement Silas (as an offensive minded, rookie HC), then do we still want Silas?

I think all 4 options: JVG, Atkinson, Lue, Silas would all succeed with this roster. the make or break variables are: (1) is the right assistant available for each, (2) are the bigger names worth the cost, (3) do they get the nod from James/rus.

#314 smoothie, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

@D-rock @Rudyc281 As a follow up, it may just come down to availability too.

JVG hasn't actually shown any indication he's interested in coaching again even though his name comes up for every vacancy around the NBA.

Lue could easily be promoted to HC in LA.

Atkinson could easily land one of the rebuilding jobs (NOP or OKC).

Silas is our fall back if all that is true.

raining threes, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And I will be 100% ok with that.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That would require the owner liking you better than the gm.

raining threes and Plowman like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Atkinson is a coach that likes to be in control and he has a way of doing things. Almost all the coaches that worked under Riley and JVG during that period are the same way..... Clifford, Thibs, Atkinson, Longabardi. He has a system where everyone must buy in and view themselves as part of the team. Eventually that started to grate on Irving, who didn't want anyone telling him what to do. Irving also wanted Jordan starting over Allen.

You point to all these young players that KA coached, but most of them were not good before he worked with them.

Atkinson has the attention to detail that is important... the question is whether he can keep a team believing in him.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I really do not want JVG to return.

I still have postseason nightmares.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te.../Rockets-top-coaching-candidates-15622142.php

Two former head coaches
    Kenny Atkinson
    Tyronn Lue

Three top assistants
    Wes Unseld Jr.
    Stephen Silas
    David Vanterpool

Silas was runner-up last time to Mike D'Antoni
    Lue will be looked at by everyone. Had an interview with Sixers before they went with Glenn Rivers; had a sit down with the Clippers; Pelicans will be interesting to watch with David Griffin; has met with the Rockets as well
    Kenny Atkinson - former player development with Rockets

That's the first grouping. It can expand after those five but those are assistants they're real high on.

How much does Tilman have in the decision making?

Tilman described himself as the sign-off guy. They make a recommendation and I sign off. I think he'll be more involved than just that. If I was to be a coach, I want to get to know the owner. He'll be somebody at least part of the conversations. How does the personality of the coach fit with his personality which is very different from Patrick's which is very different from Daryl's. You need someone who fits with each of those. Rafael as well. So yeah, you gotta get to know the owner. The owner has to feel more enthusiastic about it than if it was just rubber-stamping someone else's recommendation. The sign-off guy, yeah he'll be that but he'll have a role well before that.

D-rock and raining threes like this.