1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Al Jefferson Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Jul 7, 2010.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

man I'm down for this move..get it done Morey.

2. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

he just doesnt seem worth the price premium over scola. but if morey believes in it, then i do. I just don't see it yet. Then again, who knows how much Scola will command.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The guy averaged 22/11 for two seasons at the age of 23-24 and was steadily improving before the ACL tear. Citing his career averages when the guy is this young and jumped straight from high school is a bit disingenuous. There is no logical reason to expect him to do anything but get better than he was last season considering his age and the time it takes to fully recover from ACL surgery.

At some point we have to pay somebody. We aren't going to make the next step by signing more "good value" guys who are not impact players. Ideally, AJ is someone you want to pay 2/3 of what he is getting but his contract is well worth the gamble IMO. Especially considering it is a short term gamble.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't do the deal at the cost of losing Scola either but when you have three guys splitting 96 minutes I think there is more than enough time for everyone to get their minutes/touches.

Yao/Jefferson
    Jefferson/Scola

is a tough, tough front line and one that I think would mesh quite well.

I'm with the group that says Ariza or Battier + Jeffries + NY pick and you do this deal all day long.

5. Buck88

Buck88 Member

I wanted to post something about this but didn't. I really hate this, if you don't like the topic let the thread die or let one of the mods close it. Everyone wants to be a mod I just.

6. emjohn

emjohn Member

I don't think this is a wise way to proceed.

Wait for the right deal to come around, not the best deal you can get right this second.

Jefferson is not an All Star as things stand, there is a real reason the Wolves are falling over to drop him. No offense, but Kevin Love isn't that amazing - if they want to lose Jefferson to give him more minutes, I don't want to hear any arguments about Jefferson being a stud.

7. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

8. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Only way I would take his contract on is if they give us the rights to Rubio too.

9. dharocks

dharocks Member

In fairness, it's possible that this says more about Minnesota's management than it does about Jefferson. But you have a point; it's usually not a good thing when a team tries to get rid of you to give more minutes to Darko Milicic.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Pick him up for expirings and some Knicks picks then if Yao is healthy Flip him at the deadline for something you need more of...

DD

11. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

He avg'd 20 something ppg after the trade deadline. He was playing behind Brendon Hayward (Haywood?) before that so if anything, his numbers may be deflated.

He's 24 going on 25. Been in the Legue for 5 yrs. He could be a late bloomer. Rebounding and FG% don't seem up to par, but he can be a solid starter.

12. mFt82

mFt82 Member

I don't like it. I'd rather the rockets stay put with good chemistry than ruin a good thing by taking a chance on a guy doing something he's never done before. I'd bet on Yao and the hoard of (not so) bigs before doing something drastic just for the sake of doing 'something.'

13. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Barrier and Jeffries

14. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

Yao/Jefferson/hill
    Jefferson/scola/Patterson

Oh my! :eek:

15. Houston_Rockets

Do yall really think that Battier, jeffries and a NYK pick will do it????

It seams too good to be true

But I am with DD, amongst others, if we can get him, in a bargain, let us see if he and Yao mesh well together, probably they will, and at the end of the trade deadline, guys like CP3, Granger, etc, will be pissed because those teams will suck, and then the expirings will be even more important, and these guys will come in a bargain.

A young establish PF, that can play physical basketball, very important when you have a soft (still) C in YAO, I think they can be a great combo

And right now, the only above average player that can be traded, is BIG AL, other players, guys I mentioned before, will only be traded, when trade deadline approaches

Let´s hope, KAHN doesn´t get greedy, and wants a ton of assets

PeAcE

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

They are trying to dump Jefferson's contract (which is for $13 million next season) so they don't have to worry about it anymore.

Battier + Jeffries = $13 million off the books after next season for them. Throw in a 1st round pick and they might be willing to do it.

If they don't want to do that, give them Ariza + Jeffries, which will take about $6.9 million off the books next season, plus give them a young player in return. Add a 1st round pick to that and it might be enough.

I'm all for doing either one of those. If they want more, I guess throw in one of the young PFs we have.

17. rockets934life

Battier, Hill, Andersen + swap option in 2011 draft (12,524,020.00)

For

Al Jefferson (13,000,000.00)

Then Sign Brad Miller for about 3 million a year, resign Scola for 8 millon and Lowry for about 4 million.

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Taylor
    Ariza/Budinger/JJ
    Jefferson/Scola/PP
    Yao/Miller/Hayes

That is a dam good rotation... :grin:

18. xiki

xiki Member

Jeff is a beast down low; and would provide neither spacing for Yao nor D help down low. He should be traded back to Boston. Or Detroit. He is a fine player and a rotten Rox fit. Rotten. Discussing Jeff is a rotten waste of time. Rotten.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

after thinking about this for a while, i believe the rockets can't go wrong here if the price is right.

it gives us the size/skill to match the lakers and he's only got 3 years left on the contract. the last year he's valuable as an ending contract.

go for it!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wait, if we can also get rid of David Andersen, that trade would be so full of win !!

DD