1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Actual Bombers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

An American colleague of mine here in Germany thinks that America does a better job of integrating immigrants because, ironically, America has much smaller safety net. Refugees in Germany receive tons of assistance- shelter, food, money, for months.

In the States you need to get your ass a job, pronto. You are forced to integrate faster because you have to work with Americans right away, improve your english immediately. You can't just stay in isolation.

I have no data to back this up, just an interesting idea I heard.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Perhaps. Mickey Kaus used to espouse this theory.

We also have more opportunity maybe. Though Germany has a pretty good economy now

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not the case at all. I was a refugee in the 70's and there were plenty of social programs to help me. There were more back then than they are now. I think people integrate faster in the US because of the American dream. Most immigrants come to the US to be American.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The answer to the question you are discussing is quite simple:

The USA are much, much more selective with regard to whom they let into the country. There is actual vetting going on. They select people based on who they think will make a contribution to society.

Yeah, I know Mexicans come across the border illegally, but there is one major difference between Mexicans and the majority of the people who have been immigrating to Germany.

German leftist governments (and Merkel is, in reality, an opportunistic leftist brought up in the communist part of Germany) have been letting ANYONE in.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Are they now saying the Syrian passport found with one of the bodies indicating arrival as a migrant from Syria into Leros did not belong to one of the attackers? Linkage

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hmmm. I disagree. Nonviolent resistance has its place, but...

In the face of violent and ambitious madness, history shows it must be met, unfortunately and at great cost, with force.

WW2 is not the only example.

I want to be a pacifist, but when, in human history, has an organized and armed group badly wanted a big fight and not, in the end, gotten their big fight?

I mean like ISIS and Nazi Germany. I don't mean a faction (like hawks in the cold war). When a totalitarian type military group wants a fight, in history, they get their fight. ISIS is getting and will continue to get theirs, I fear.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

B-Bob is right.

8. B-Bob

Let me say I think they will lose, massively.

They are ultimately a crazy death cult. They think they can take on all the militaries of the world, *and then* they think they can convert 10's of millions of otherwise sane muslims to become insane suicidal death culters.

I think they are very wrong on both accounts, but blood will be shed. :-( Humans always seem to manage that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

B-Bob is right.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is an unhelpful take. Blindly claiming they will lose is not an insightful position. It would be better to suggest a path by which they lose with the least bloodshed and unintended harm possible.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you go to certain parts of the SE houston they don't even speak English. You just hear Spanish. So you can live in isolation. I think we are just farther from the crazy Muslims, and the Muslims here seem to like America. We also don't pass laws like banning burkas or try to discriminate other religions.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There are 1.6 billion Muslims. A million is .0625%. I am sure you can find .0625% of any population that just will do crazy stuff.

I think it is pointless to waste trillions of dollars and thousands of soldiers on saving a few 100 lives a year.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You haven't understood what is happening.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is not World War II and ISIS is not Nazi Germany.

Not even close.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think they are much harder to fight than a country and its army. In terms of how evil the ideology is, to me they are on the same level.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm not suggesting that won't happen, or that other countries won't or shouldn't intervene.

What I'm saying is the US should not be actively participating at the moment beyond 1) securing itself and 2) aiding its allies.

The long-game solution to religious extremism is what I detailed earlier.

There may come a day when short-term, massively violent intervention is needed on our part, but it is not today.

Leave these crazy f***s to kick rocks with each other.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You are right on both counts. Militant islam is not a nationalist movement. You can't just squash it like we would a standing army and declare victory. It's an altogether different circumstance.

1 person likes this.
  18. B-Bob

I may well agree with you there. Cheers.

I think we should help everyone with logistics and intel. it seems like, however, even with equipment, it keeps falling into the wrong hands (or hands that, like ISIS, become the wrong hands in a big way).

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

ATW, I heard on the radio that the Germans found a fake ambulance loaded with explosives parked near a soccer stadium today. True?

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    BRUSSELS, Nov 17 (Reuters)