1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2024 Nets Pick Thread [POLL]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Where will the pick fall?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2024.
  1. 1-3

8.7%
  2. 4-8

21.5%
  3. 9-14

48.3%
  4. 15-20

18.8%
  5. 21+

2.7%
  1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The poll is open until 2024. Make your choice when you are ready lol

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Nets are in a terrible place. Most teams either have a star or two or are young and their guys are slowly getting there ala Hou and Orl.

Instead they have a bunch of role players and the worst cap albatross in the league. Should be sub .500 next year no doubt.

Plowman likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I could see Bridges wanting out of there / demanding a trade.

Good players don't want to be stuck on shiit teams.

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

How’s the Nets’ cap situation? Any chance they bring in some significant reinforcements from the FA market this offseason?

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Either you have me on ignore or you just ignored the post directly above yours explaining their cap situation.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The truth is at least a few of Trae Young, Kawhi, PG13, Jimmy Butler, Siakam, Jaylen Brown, Zion Williamson, KAT will become available this summer. They will offer all their picks and Simmons for such a player. They're not going to sit around and draft mid tier talent lol. They don't believe in this roster as constructed.

Their team is custom-made for a helio centric star to slide right into the franchise and jump into contention for homecourt in the East.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I agree this is likely their plan, I'm just not sure how successful it will be. A) Ben Simmons will cost them two first to get off of so other teams will view their package less favorably than say a similar picks package from another team. B) The players you mentioned all have warts. Some are old, some are injury prone, and some questionable as stars in the first place. They could blow all of their assets and be stuck mediocre for a very long time.

I think they're best chance at contending in the future would be to tank now and get their picks back from us in a trade for Bridges.

I don't really think Bridges did enough to show he's a #2 guy on a championship team. I don't think he's a Klay, a Jrue Holiday, or a AD level player. He's more of a #3 guy like a Khris Middleton. That's still really good but pairing him with a guy like KAT ain't doing much.

MultipleSauces and Plowman like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Nobody wants Simmons. Why would a team take Simmons and a bunch of crappy 1st round picks, when there are way better choices out there, say a bunch of Nets picks and some actually playable players?

10. MystikArkitect

How though? None of those guys are going to change their situation. Maybe Jaylen Brown but how do they trade for him? They don't have anything and the only pieces Boston would take would probably put the Nets in a worse position next year.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our picks/swaps are still golden.

Other have covered this, but the Nets have a bunch of role players. Bridges is extremely overrated. Their cap situation s a disaster. Simmons is an albatross. They have a bunch of late firsts.

Depending on injuries, moves/strategy, etc.....I'm seeing that pick being anywhere from 5 -12.

They are screwed.

#31 Plowman, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If you’re rebuilding, it doesn’t matter.

You can also dump Simmons to a team with cap space for two mediocre picks.

Can trade: DFS and 4 picks. Cam Johnson and 4 picks. If it’s a top tier star, you can even go Bridges and 4 picks since DFS and Johnson can hold down the forward spots.

Bottom line: they will find a way to get better using 4 picks. There’s no one who’s going to convince me that a team can’t make a major upgrade with 4 mediocre picks, is there?

They’re simply not going to sit on their hands and the playoffs will make great players available as they always do.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I think you’re presuming too much. Until he was in Brown’s system did we view Sabonis as the player that would lift them from a 20 year drought into a 3rd seed?

Just because KAT didn’t work in MIN doesn’t mean it can’t work anywhere. All but 3 players a year have warts, we can’t dismiss things that simply.

Are you saying if you were handed the keys to a team with these assets and 4-5 mediocre first round picks, you can’t think of a way to make the playoffs?

People on the board are talking about offering Cam Johnson $25m. If he gets offered that on the market, is he not worth two more picks in a trade? Doesn’t that bring them up to 6 mediocre picks to trade.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Your original post that they would trade picks and Simmons for one of the available stars like Brown or Trae and hang onto Bridges and some of their other players to make them playoff contenders. My response is why would a team, say the Celtics, take crap like Simmons and crappy picks over Nets picks and players like Tari, KPJ, Tate, KJM? The answer is they won’t. You aren’t getting much of value for Simmons and a bunch of crappy picks. Bridges is another story. If they are trading him they are tanking, which makes their own picks more valuable then any other picks being offered by anyone.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think if most people were asked before the start of the season. Who contributes more to winning - Sabonis or KAT? Most would pick Sabonis. And, Sabonis isn't the only reason the Kings improved. Fox improved, they got Huerter and Murray, and a better coach.

BUT, my point wasn't to say those aren't good players.

I 100% think they can make moves to be a guaranteed playoff team next year. My point is that they would deplete all their assets to do so and still not be an actual title contender.

i think Getting their picks back and starting from the bottom with more picks would be smarter.

Regarding Cam Johnson, his trade value goes way down the second he signs his new contract. Teams will overpay if all they give up is cap space. If they have to give up cap space and picks it's not as enticing.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Fair enough. We don’t have to agree on what they can achieve with Simmons dead contract. I also think that they can have the 3rd best package in the market and land a great upgrade.

My larger point is that they have many avenues to improve and the idea that they are locked into a bad position is not realistic.

Marks took a risk that it was worth acquiring Kyrie to get Durant. That went bad but anyone in the world would have agreed to do it. Other than that, he’s been stellar. He took them from a negative draft position and capped out to building a playoff team to acquiring Kyrie to Kevin Durant to Harden to now being back to square one. He’s a stellar executive and will find a way to screw our picks up.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Agreed it will take longer to win a title but I thought our concern was how good our pick will be.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Maybe it was a bit of a tangent but basically the only way the pick is bad is if the Nets take the worst path for their future.

Mathloom likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You really think none of those players would improve them? Just have to disagree with that. I think any of these guys would improve them significantly.

They're a team with excess of excellent defenders and a basket of picks lacking a star scorer (difficult to acquire) and a secondary scorer (easy). I think they'll be fine.

20. MystikArkitect

I guess describe a scenario where they end up with any of those guys. They have no draft picks and after the Harden disaster they will not be shipping out any the rest of this decade probably. So they're gonna trade the only commodities they have (Johnson, Bridges) for who? Brown? Brown for those two is a worse team. Siakam couldn't even lead the Raptors to the playoffs. Who else? Butler? They're not going all in on an aging has been.