1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The 2023 Nets Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by engr chris, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

When he is healthy and actually plays, he is a good player.... excellent defender and passer and rebounder.

The problem is that he hasn't played in over a year now, doesn't have a great work ethic and the back concern is a huge red flag.

At this point he has negative value unless he comes back and is healthy and plays like he did before.... only a desperate team would gamble on him at this point. Back injuries in basketball at an early age, that recur like this one has are serious - especially for a player that isn't considered tough or a hard worker...

joshuaao, D-rock, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

Nook likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Yup and that is after they traded the farm to try to replicate the Celtics Big 3 (Garnett/Pierce/+) and failed miserably. I guess they didn't learn haha

4. xaos

xaos Member

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

serious (if unimportant) question: where would be the place and/or the coach and/or teammate one could expect maximization of Simmons aka BS?

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When the actual Harden trade went down I was torn on Simmons v Nets picks. I leaned towards Simmons because I thought he was a jump shot away from being the best player in the world. Even though I never had great confidence in him to develop that, it was still tantalizing.

But since then the full scope of what kind of competitor Simmons is has come to the forefront, combined with recurring back injuries. We dodged a major f**king bullet.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would think Tom Tibs in NY might be the best situation for Simmons. Defensive minded, need a pg, and have some flexibility with draft picks. Don’t know about matching salaries though.

This works although I in no way want to see it happen.

Kemba, Reddish, Rose 2022 Knicks frp, 2023 Knicks via Dallas frp for Simmons

#107 Hemingway, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

To be fair, more than half the board didn’t want Simmons, and potentially we may have moved him to a 3rd team who really wanted him; there were plenty. But yes indeed, it’s great that Simmons isn’t a rocket. It will be interesting to see what the Nets look like next year with a full offseason practicing with Simmons. They still have a great team when everyone plays. I expect them to be better next year.

9. conquistador#11

I was a yes on getting back Simmons if Morey included Maxey and confused why he wouldn't throw in Maxey for Harden or the heat throw in Herro.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Golden State, Milwaukee, PHX…a place with a strong team, strong culture, and strong leadership

Phoenix and Milwaukee might not be the type of city that appeals to the young socialite, but they have everything else

jiggyfly, jcmoon and steddinotayto like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Like @Reeko said GS would be the perfect/best landing spot for him. You got more than enough offensive firepower between Curry, Klay, Poole, etc that whatever Simmons can chip in is just icing on the cake. On offense you're maximizing his strengths as a passer with those guys getting open for 3s. On defense he would allow Curry to switch to the other team's worst offensive player, allowing GS to form a massive backcourt defense of Klay and Simmons. Essentially he would be interning for Draymond Green's role. I don't think he has the mental make up and competitive fire to be the next Draymond but GS would be the place that can use Simmons' strengths while also masking his weaknesses.

Reeko likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's never Kyrie's fault though; he's a champion and knows what it takes to win it all...provided he has a Top 2 GOAT player with him.

D-rock, Nook and xaos like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Simmons is fine, I think his back issues are made up to allow him to recoup the fines from Philly.

DD

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

perhaps, yet the fun idea of a cross-borough trade just adds theater…

16. xaos

xaos Member

Irony is: the picks they traded to Boston for KG/Pierce just swept them

mikenm268, subtomic, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

That is a really hard question for me to answer without knowing Simmons.

Pure speculation on my part would be a coach like Nick Nurse would be a good fit because he would maximize what Simmons does well and not harp on what he struggles at. If Simmons was just entering the league Spolstra would have been a good fit because Simmons would not be required to expand offensively.

18. Nook

Nook Member

He has a history of back injuries.

Richie_Rich and Deuce like this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kyrie's market this offseason may not be what Kyrie thinks it will be.

D-rock likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

If we didn't have like twelve 6'4 players, I'd take Bruce Brown on a Houston tour.

D-rock likes this.