1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Nets Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by engr chris, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Simmons is why u need full confidence in a player’s commitment, attitude, and confidence before giving them big money. It’s why a KPJ extension has to be off the table until next offseason. We need to see at least 1 yr without incident. Frankly the fact that he couldn’t hold it together this yr, despite the skills development, is not a good sign given what happened in Cleveland. I’m very comfortable with his talent, but I’m probably never gonna feel comfortable about giving him big money over a long term . I hope he can show us different next yr. and begin to build that trust.

#81 Aruba77, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Can you pick swap someone else's pick? Lets say you acquire the 30th pick from a team can you use that to swap?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yes, I presume you could do another trade and have an agreement to swap your pick with theirs. It would just be a separate variable or trade that has nothing to do with the Nets swap.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

#84 Fullcourt, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Williamson likes this.
  5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Kyrie statements in the post game interview were just amazing at the complete lack of perspective on the whole situation. He even said
    I don't see how he doesn't opt out and ask a for max deal, but I also don't see how the Nets can just give him that. Kyrie already threatened retiring if they trade him last fall. Unless he decides to play for the Knicks, I doubt he would play for a team outside his hometown.

I just can't tell if nothing is going to change for this team next year, or if everything is going to change for them.

D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Reading this thread and I can't believe someone suggested they wanted Ben Simmons on the Rockets lol. He has steadily declined since his rookie year and is unquestionably the biggest b**** in the NBA today. Quit on two teams in one season! His best year he was barely a top 30 player. No thank you.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

To say he's steadily declined since his rookie season is just patently false. He was playing the best basketball of his life last season. If you don't want him, that's fine. Hell, it's even understandable. But can we avoid blatant lies and false narratives?

https://www.theringer.com/video/202...ons-philadelphia-76ers-best-season-his-career

D-rock likes this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

There's no pair of 2 stars I'd want on a team that owes us so many picks than Irving and Simmons. It's amazing. Can't wait for Irving to convince Simmons to retire from basketball and open up a sage lotion company

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That video discussed a very short period after the Harden trade. For the season, Simmons notched a career low in points, assists, and rebounds per game. He was also stunningly bad in the playoffs, including an all-time low FT%.

10. Williamson

And what can they even do? Nobody is trading for Kyrie. Nobody. Simmons has definitely done a lot of damage to his value this season. They're so far over the cap they're going to be very limited in what they do in free agency. They're basically at that place where they only have the MLE and buyout season to add talent and depth. And while you can pick up a solid player for the MLE, buyouts are typically more likely to be washed up than they are to be prepared to contribute to a contender. And yet they can't even blow it up and tank because all of their picks belong to us. What a mess.

xaos likes this.
  11. Williamson

It was talking about through february. He was definitely historically bad in that playoff series. No argument there. But he played good basketball last season and he's always a candidate for the all-defensive team.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No he wasn't. Literally the first sentence: "Ben Simmons is playing the best basketball of his life SINCE THE SIXERS DIDN'T TRADE HIM..." He played okay last season, but I didn't see any major areas of improvements like you seemed to imply in your first post. You can't say he has improved in a season where he posted career lows across the board.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

In his four seasons...

WS
    '18 - 9.2
    '19 - 8.2
    '20 - 6.9
    '21 - 6.0

BPM
    '18 - 4.5
    '19 - 3.6
    '20 - 3.6
    '21 - 2.9

VORP
    '18 - 4.5
    '19 - 3.8
    '20 - 2.8
    '21 - 2.3

What on earth are you talking about... I guess simple statistical observation counts as blatant lies nowadays.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Lakers might.

Rockets FTW and Nook like this.
  15. Williamson

We traded Harden in like the first two weeks of the season. Am I remembering that wrong? I'm starting to feel like a crazy person.

16. Williamson

Well god damn. I don't typically go look at those advanced stats. That's actually pretty damning. Maybe I should stfu.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It was within like the first month and a half, but remember last season started late so the trade was in January.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I object strongly to this.

You are tying up max money for a guy who even if he wants to play is not worth it and so sensitive that he might shut it down at any sign of adversity.

He is just good enough to make it low lottery and playing so that you never maximize your draft picks, and you are never in contention.

After what he has done this year and even after the trade, I don't see how anybody would want him, especially with that contract.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Ha, well advanced stats aren't everything and I still think he's a top 30ish player, but yeah not good trends and the off court aspect make me want to stay far, far away!

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's always great to see someone not double down when given information they had not known, this is how you have a good conversation.

Kudos sir.

#100 jiggyfly, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    mikenm268, D-rock, mfastx and 3 others like this.