1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Nets Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by engr chris, Apr 24, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Years for sure matter.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WCS, where is he at these days? No more morons. Our knucklehead quota is maxed out. Stay away from Reddish and Noel and all their jars of pee lying around the house.

"Checker players think Chess players are stupid, but I like checkers. Plus, the red ones are tasty."

- Nerlens Noel

clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was just messing with you. See if you would look up the stats.

You know......T-bagging

4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Wait so Silas has not been running the Silas system, I did not even know there was a Silas system, does Silas know about the Silas system?

roslolian and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sure, he led the Mavs to #1 offense in 19/20

Just because he ran 3 pages of his playbook the last two years does not mean he ran the entire 20 pages of his playbook.

What part of Tanking is not understood?
    The T or the Anking?

roslolian and peleincubus like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I have long been puzzled by the praise for Baldwin. I think he was a top 25 player in his class when he went to college but I didn’t see anything special. He is long and can move some and has the reputation of being a good shooter but I haven’t witnessed him.

My guess Baldwin is over Eason because they still believe in Baldwins upside. I’ll take Eason in the short and long term.

While it’s true that Baldwin is probably a more consistent long range shooter, I think Eason can improve. There is no long term stardom for Eason but he can be an Aaron Gordon or Wilson Chandler type player that helps a team quite a bit. Which is nice for a player in the later lottery.

saleem, sydmill, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Giving Silas credit for running Carlisle’s offense? I guess I will say he can’t be terrible because he didn’t screw it up, but I’m not giving him credit when the offense was designed and ultimately over seen by Carlisle.

Silas will get another year and hopefully he proves his critics wrong because he seems like a good person.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I've seen Carlisle overseeing offenses before....now who is giving who too much credit?

Name a Carlisle team with other number 1 offense prior? Pacers? I rest my case

Carlisle started as head coach in 03/04 with Pacers:
    03/04: 20th in offense
    04/05: 25th in offense
    05/06: 23rd in offense
    06/07: 21st in offense
    07/08: Jim OBrien took over....7th in offense

Not exactly stellar start to head coaching offensively

edited: points per game

#248 ApacheWarrior, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

He did? I am watching the Mavs game now and they can not stop talking about how this team has been transformed by Jason Kidd. That is why they are now overachieving with this roster, they have held the Suns to 86 points, the defense has improved massively. Silas was not the guy for Dallas and hes not the guy here, there is a reason they went with Jason Kidd and not him and now look to be a contender with essentially the same type of roster of Luka and a bunch of bench players.

You must have a bad memory, but Silas was given James Harden and a full supporting roster and they looked awful and they all ran off knowing Silas was not the guy, a massive regression from Mike D'Antoni's system, who actually had a system. This team actually tried to win games, when they realized they were not going to win games, that is when they started to just tank by trading away everyone or running off the front office. Silas requested we get Victor Oladipo that was his guy and he thought he was going to win with him that is the reason we made that trade. That was not the move of a team who had a plan to tank, that is the move of a team who ended up tanking due to poor choices and a bad coach. What part of that entire series of events that season makes you think the tank was intentional? Not only did Silas fail with Harden, Westbrook, PJ etc, he got a chance to try to build his own group and win with John Wall, Oladipo and his guys ,and he failed at that as well. So THEN and only THEN did Houston trade away their core tangible piece in the Harden trade for pennies on the dollar and THEN they decided to completely shut down John Wall once they gave Silas numerous chances to win games.

If He was intentionally trying to tank, do you really think he would have CRIED on national TV like a baby during post game interviews? He should win an Oscar for that performance if that was true. You can not be that delusional.

#249 BallSoHarden, May 12, 2022
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Wow, I love how you cherry picked one year of coaching and turned
    Jason Kidd into John Wooden all of a sudden. Conveniently forgetting
    the garbage seasons he spent as Nets and Bucks head coach.

Your amnesia goes only so far back huh?

Silas had them as #1 in offensive efficiency....they ranked 15th this season with Kidd.

Reggie Bullock, Sterling Brown and Bertans we're not with the team back then.

Finney-Smith and Brunson have finally developed as Finney-Smith has 5 yrs
    experience now and Brunson has 3 years behind his belt now.

Nice try Kidd

#250 ApacheWarrior, May 12, 2022
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

No its not cherry picking , its just a logical apples to apples comparison because it is two different coaches with the same roster and team, comparing different rosters with a team that Silas was not on would make zero sense, so Nets and Bucks are not relevant when we are comparing these two guys today.

I think you did not read anything i wrote lol, a guy who CRIES on TV like that after constantly losing, is not intentionally losing LOL. A guy who has James Harden and then asks for Victor Oladipo because thats his guy is not intentionally tanking. Not that hard to see he is a historically awful coach. Do you really think a guy who waited 20 years to get a head coaching job would intentionally tank his first shot at it where he is so so bad, that no other team in their right mind will ever give him a chance again. So in his next head coaching interview he will simply say, yes I spent 20 years to get to that role and decided to just fail on purpose. If you really believe ALL of that, you are dumber than you sound.

#251 BallSoHarden, May 12, 2022
  12. raining threes

Every championship team has these kinds of players. I haven't seen Eason, is he a weakside shot blocker and how is his defense, rebounding? These are things the Rockets are desperately missing.

Mathloom likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Keep tuning in next year, you'll see as this team goes from just driving
    around on back roads to actually taking these kids out on the highway
    next year.

The Vipers have been running the full Silas system for two
    seasons now and are a microcosm of what's to come.

Silas wasn't acting when he said next year he is going to expand the playbook.
    Must I post that article again?

Watch and learn Kidd

#253 ApacheWarrior, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Actually when you look at the Rockets advanced offensive stats you wonder how the hell they were a 20-62 team.
    They were #1 in FT rate and points in the restricted area ..... and the percentage of open / wide open 3's was rather astounding.

The defense was that bad .... and worse.

jch1911, D-rock, clutchdabear and 4 others like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

There’s Chet….and then there’s everyone else.

Yep.

I said this earlier in the season that the Rockets offense was actually not that big of an issue.

And it's another reason why I want Chet and I've been leaning towards Ivey as second option.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

My thinking is similar; but I'm going Jabari then Ivey.

I don't know what the Mavs have been doing with *Porzingis, but ever since
    the trade for Bertans they have gone 22-5

A 6'10" player that can shoot high quantity 3's can open up a world
    of possibilities. The Chet shot chart is straight away 3 and success at the rim.
    The opposition will take away his success at the rim (better than college teams did).

It will be amazing what one corner 3-pt shooter would do for the progress
    of our young facilitators. They always drive wondering which corner defender
    will be packing the paint if not both. Creates a little uncertainty with kick outs
    to the corners.

With Jabari they better not leave him. If I'm Green, Porter, JC I'm driving
    expecting Jabari to be covered and the 2nd tier defender to come off
    of Tate/Kenyon corner 3. Cuts down the uncertainty from 100% to 50%
    of which corner to pass out to......But Jabari is more than that.

*I believe the Mavs have been preserving Porzingis from drives because he always
    gets hurt. When Silas had them #1 in efficiency in 19/20, Porzingis got hurt as they
    we'e giving the Clippers fits. Ended their playoff run.

D-rock and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Right now Eason is solid but not a stopper on defense, but he is carrying a larger offensive load than he would in the NBA. He has grown in length some the last year or so and has a reported wingspan of nearly 7’3” (I’m skeptical it is actually this long but it is clearly 7’0” and that’s very good) and he has some idea of where to be on the court so he has the upside of being a good defender.

saleem, D-rock and raining threes like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Here's something to chew on:

Gordon Hayward (2 years, $61 million left)
    Kelly Oubre (1 year, $12.6 million left)
    13th pick

for

John Wall
    17th pick

This gives the Hornets much needed breathing room next summer when Wall's contract comes off the books, right in time to give Melo his first contract extension. They move down a few spots to 17th.

Houston takes on Gordon's contract, Oubre's expiring, and moves up a few spots to 13th. That 13th spot could open a lot of options for this team to add more talent to the roster.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I consider Eason to be more than just solid defensively.

If Banchero is an average defender, then Tari has to be elite, comparatively.

And Eason is underrated offensively imo.

jch1911 likes this.