1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. raining threes

I voted yes,

But wish the clock was 10-15 seconds longer.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the clock was 5 seconds longer, games would probably be about as long as last year's games. If the clock was 10 seconds longer, I expect some pitchers would pitch to the clock and games would be longer than last season. If it was 15 seconds longer, I think that would be long enough that pitchers would just pitch like they did last year.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Current Season Stat Update for Rendon

Rendon has connected on 0 hits during games.
    Rendon has connected on 0 hits after games.

4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Getting those west coast games over 31 minutes earlier means a lot to me.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unless teams start to develop better counter measures one would have to think stolen bases are gonna go even higher with it's current success rate. It was never en vouge with the metrics because the value wasn't worth the risk, but an 85% chance of getting from 1st to second is huge. It jumps well clear of the % needed to break even.

It's gonna be interesting watching the cat and mouse game evolve.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Will be interesting to see if there are repeat violators or just a bunch of one-offs. If its repeat violators, one would wonder if they really have to do more to adjust to this than just "adapt".

Will also be interesting to see if this rate goes down with more games or stays the same. My guess is that it will go down. Also there has been some inconsistencies as to how the umps are calling it.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

A possible caveat for the Phillies is their best player isn't playing

8. Screaming Fist

It looks like this will have a more far reaching effect than the shift ban. Speed and catchers with big arms will become much more valuable in this new paradigm. Speedy punch ‘n Judy hitters gonna be the next market inefficiency.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure this has been decided.

It looks like BABIP is up by 0.011 with over 2000 batted balls in play (round down for ease of math). 0.7 runs for singles yields about 15.4 runs for the 22 extra singles.

A stolen base is worth about 0.25 runs (I've seen 0.2 to 0.3 values so I'm picking the middle) with a CS about -0.6. 70 steals with 14 CS would yield 9.1 runs.

I think the stolen bases are much more noticeable as it is clear when it happens and it happens more often, but line drive hits are up and are more valuable per extra one(i.e., it looks like keeping 2B on the dirt is more important than keeping the SS on the leftside of the IF).

Screaming Fist likes this.
  10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I'd get rid of the bigger bases if this keeps up, the pitch clock is already the biggest advantage for baserunners, maybe change the pickoff/balk rules somewhat.

Last year, the Astros were an average base stealing team by volume, with 83. Albeit through 4 games, they're on pace for 243 this year. With the CS% at 15%, volume will only go up further until it balances out at 75%, or any reasonably speedy MLB player turns into Rickey Henderson.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Through 3 games, Yordan is on pace for 203 rbis. Time to change the rules.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why?

Steals are exciting and exactly the type of thing the sport could use more of and why they implemented these rules in the first place. Anything that can reduce the kung fu grip TTU has on baseball right now is a great thing.

The Beard likes this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This is crazy. As much as I hate the As, they gotta move that team out of there.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

According to Forbes, the A's made a $66 million dollar profit last year despite no attendance.

I think they could afford to spend more to compete. Oakland fans have supporedt a winning team before, despite the awful stadium. They won't support a team that will pay absolutely nothing, no matter what.

gatsby likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Anything but Las Vegas.

16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Even if they spend the entire 66 million on payroll it would not be enough to have a large effect on such a bad team. Better to keep your powder dry till you have something more to work with.

17. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

They were outdrew?
    Who they got working at Yahoo these days?

JeeberD likes this.
  18. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Once people realized that all this was doing was bringing back the MLB of their youth, they forgot about being upset. This is the best baseball I have seen in decades.
    Small ball, speed, steals, getting the game moving along briskly.

mtbrays, marks0223, jjsmooth and 2 others like this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Are you ready to join us in liking the new rules yet @Marshall Bryant ?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All true… but they’ve traded or let foundational pieces go over the last few years that could have kept them in the playoff hunt. They had a really good team going into 2019 and then 2020. Covid certainly impacted all teams in 2020 but had there been a full season, the Astros still likely win the division but the A’s would have likely been close. Sure the playoffs were a crapshoot and the Astros waxed them good… but that was a frisky team.

Also to work with your logic… the fans there aren’t going to spend good money to watch a team until they know there’s something worth watching. They’re also keeping their powder dry.

It’s a Mexican Standoff! Brad Pitt cross-reference between moneyball and inglorious basterds.