1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, there is a rule. MLB's last change shortened the time between innings if memory serves me correctly. I don't think MLB will use this to add more commercials between innings.

I for one get no pleasure waiting longer between pitches. I don't see pitch clocks as shortening the game. It is forcing the game to be played. Players had many opportunities to fix the problem.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He was my boyhood hero, because he was from Memphis and played for my favorite team the Cardinals. Really good announcer as well. I know, boring stuff, but I spent years trying to get his baseball card.

raining threes and Madmanmetz like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So the Yankees and Giants play the 1st game on opening day at the same time as the Braves and Nationals. Will Gerrit Cole be the first player to complain about the new rules costing them a game or causing a bad performance?

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I'm not sure I can put into words how much I hate the permanent presence of regular season "ghost" runners in extra innings. It is so bad, but I guess it is here to stay.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seems like its the one thing the players, managers and owners are in universal agreement on. Shows you how much of a grind the regular season truly is, and they just want those games to end.

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't care for it either.

But in the big picture, how different is it from college football starting drives in scoring position? a shootout? or even NFL shortening the OT time?

All leagues now alter the game during OT periods to expedite them.

It's still better than a tie!!

8. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I have to disagree that it is better than a tie. At least a tie is a legitimate outcome.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Bring Corbin to Htown (I know it won’t happen but interesting story line to follow, he’s clearly not staying in MIL)

raining threes likes this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It’s gotta go away

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Here's my crazy idea. Start the 10th inning at the top of the batting order all nine players bat after that, that half inning is over. Now the home team starting with the first hitter. At the end the team with the most runs wins if it's a tie the team with the most hits wins if that's a tie the team with the most men on base wins if that's still a a tie then take the team that had the most hits for the entire game if that's a tie the team with the most men on base and if that's a tie shoot the umpire. Could make one really fun 10th inning.

davidio840 likes this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Just don't tell the Yankees the roof is open

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/mlb-creates-economic-reform-committee.html

2 takeaways from this:

A MLB wide streaming service free from blackouts would be AWESOME. And it is supremely stupid that it doesn’t already exist.

A salary cap appears inevitable, and as an Astros fan, the sooner the better; can you imagine Houston’s odds of winning the WS if no team could spend more than say $240M/yr on payroll?

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Big picture, I'd agree. But in reality, the teams that have beaten the Astros haven't been the extreme spenders. Limiting the NY and LA teams' spending would potentially allow the Phillies and Braves of the world to acquire some better talent and create more legitimate equal contenders. Having a cap also means other teams that haven't spent because they didn't feel they could compete with the Mets/etc might be willing to spend also. Every decent team would be incentivized to spend up to the cap like we see in other sports.

Nick likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is a solid point. Also I shudder to think how good the Rays would be if they were forced to spend up to a salary floor.

16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

If McCullers is able to pitch this Spring and stretching out Abreu to start goes well Is McCullers capable of replacing him in the pen? I am not sure it would be the best thing for either of them or for the team but I am quickly going from a little nervous about McCullers starting, to seriously concerned. I like Abreu a lot out of the pen but if he can start I might like him even more.
    Anybody else thinking along these lines?

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unless the league is willing to give back a significant amount in regard to pre arbitration pay and team control, a salary cap is a non starter for the union.

In their recent negotiations they have basically given away everything else that would give them leverage.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Wouldn't you miss the indentured servitude comments from Millionaires?

19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I would more miss the extra profits for billionaires.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The only rules to shorten the game I like are rules restricting advertising and that's about as likely as ice in Hell.