1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Changes

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Sep 9, 2022.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

How's it less game? They are eliminating camera time now used to show Altuve bitting his nails between pitches, Yuli adjusting his balls, Dusty spitting, and fans doing the wave. Are you really going to miss that?

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

You're a marketers dream. Show me more COMMERCIALS. F the game.

3. marks0223

Supporting Member

How do you get more commercials out of this? There won't be more commercial breaks. This could actually hurt some mini advertisements. In game cutaways to quick advertisements have become more common so networks will have to figure out how to get those in an even shorter window or eliminate them.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We'll see. At least you will because it might push me out of fan-hood altogether.

5. marks0223

Supporting Member

I immediately thought of you when I saw the this new rule. Quicker games mean you'll be able to watch more of the game before falling asleep. I think we'll all enjoy the quicker pace.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They didn't change the commercials. Also, the most recent change to the commercials was to lower them.

This change was all about improving the fan experience and fans that have seen games in the minor leagues love it.

If anything, this keeps MLB from having to increase commercials. The owners want to make money and I prefer they do it by making the players play baseball than by increasing commercials.

#26 Joe Joe, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Zen Tabak and Wulaw Horn like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I picked a couple of random innings last night and rewatched on MLB TV..

Angels pitcher walked off the mound at 50:05, cut to commercial a couple of seconds later. Break over at 51:48. Cut to about 40 seconds of Kile highlights while Lance warmed up. 52:31, batter in box, Lance on rubber.

Different inning, Lance walked off mound at 1:50:15. Break over at 1:52:10, Altuve in box and pitcher on rubber at 1:52:40.

8. Buck Turgidson

You're completely off your ****ing rocker on this one. You are posting nonsense and seem to be wanting to be offended.

Please listen to what people are trying to tell you.

Zen Tabak, Major and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Yes. I understand, You have a game that's shorter by 23 minutes and surrounded by the same amount of commercial interruption. The total game is shorter because the Action is shorter. And that's only if they don't fill that with more nonsense.

So now we get a 3 hour game. and a HIGHER RATIO of garbage to action. Congratulations. At some point you will watch all commercials and have no game. Wont that be WONDERFUL?

It's the ratio. Now reduce the commercials by the same ratio as you shorten the game and I'll join your excitement.

10. marks0223

Supporting Member

You're not understanding if you're calling the 23 minutes that's being removed "action". The quicker pace will be much more engaging. I don't care if they go to commercial breaks during all the normal breaks...that's not changing. It's been that way for as long as I've been watching baseball and I'm not bothered by it.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is as bizarre as the bull you are choosing to die on about Manfred not allowing Hunter Brown to be on the post season roster. It’s nuts. Commercials will not be increasing. All we are doing is having the dead time in between pitches more or less in half. It’s universally loved by fans in the minor leagues.
    getting out of MMP at 9:30 on random weekday nights will be such a boon. And quicker pace of play will make everyone more invested. There are typically around 4 pitches per plate appearance. You don’t count the first pitch bc that will stay the same (already a clock to get in the box. So, you save 10 or 15 or so seconds before pitch 2, 3 and 4 in a normal AB. That’s 30 or 45 seconds per AB. 80 PA in a normal game and you are saving 30 or 45 minutes at the end of the day. Which will be awesome.

Rock Block and Major like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure the complaining about everything will be missed.

13. Qan

Qan Member

What are we even arguing about again? Lol

Rock Block likes this.
  14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

What it do nephew? Oh nothin' JUST called. Lookin' for some women than can FONDLE my BALLS.

15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

His posts add almost zero value to this forum.

16. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Every big family holiday dinner has it’s crazy uncle and so does every message board, we found the crazy uncle…..

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The only rule change I am much interested in, they aren't implementing. At least not right away (auto strike zone).

Of the ones they are, I am good with bigger bases.

I am against a pitch timer.

And I am meh on shift restrictions.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A question:

Do the larger bases (18" vs 15") mean the base edges are 3" closer together than before?

Giving a very slight edge to the base runner and slightly hurting the first baseman (bigger base meaning larger target for said base runner to get back to during a pick off attempt)?

19. Qan

Qan Member

Yes, it will help base runner beat out a lot more throws. I expect more hits (mainly infield hits) and steals next year. This is what the league wanted, more people on base and potential runs. "Exciting"

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

First base will still be the same distance from home plate as will third base. Second will be closer to home, first and third.

#40 bobrek, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022